What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - lucklesspedestrian

My youngest needed a couple of tyres for her Leon so we looked around for the best price for Michelin cross climates which are something of a family favourite these days.

Turns out Kwik Fit have a deal on and were cheapest so went to order them and noticed that there was the option for home fitting for only a fiver extra. Now my daughter, like so many these days, is working from home so was happy to get the cheapest price for this as waiting in all day was not a problem. 5 quid to save the hassle of driving into branch, waiting around town, the usual nonsense about needing new brakes etc....no brainer!

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone out.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Xileno

It's good to hear some positive feedback. Over the years when I used them, I probably had more positive than negative experiences. With my old Focus I use an independent garage where they do everything including aircon and they have a separate section for tyres and exhausts so it's just easier for me to take it there and they do the lot.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Will deBeast

When I had a company/lease car, the contract for tyres was with KF.

I saw some outstanding branches, and some dire ones.

I never had the 'upsell' issue that others may have had - the lease company was paying.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Will deBeast

I'm reminded of one lease company who did a contract with (I think KF) that they would only pay for tyres which had reached 1.6mm. I'd booked the mobile fitter to change both front tyres.

Unfortunately neither the fitter nor I was aware of this stupid policy and he reported that one of the tyres was at 1.8mm.

I was doing 1,000 miles a week, so the difference between 1.8mm and 1.6mm might just be a week. I had a furious conversation with the lease company, where I was asking "so if I set off on my business trip this week, I need to take a tyre tread gauge, and I'll stop at each set of services. When it reaches 1.6mm I'll stop driving and you can recover the car from there". They eventually (and reluctantly) agreed to change both tyres.

I escalated the matter within my company, and eventually the policy was changed to allow tyres below 2mm to be changed.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Xileno

Well done. Sometimes those at the top of the food chain can be made to see sense, although it can be a fight. Akin to pushing water up hill with a rake and one hand tied behind your back.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Galaxy

I wanted a couple of new tyres recently so shopped around online.

Much to my surprise the cheapest place I found was Halfords! They certainly wouldn't have been the first place I would have thought of to buy tyres from but, from what I found, they were the cheapest.

Made the purchase and paid for the tyres online and took my car to my local branch the next day to have them fitted. Pleased to say there were no problems whatsoever.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - catsdad

Galaxy I had the same Halfords experience once but so far it’s been a one off. The last few tyres have been Blackcircles. Their approved fitter is a mile away (ATS) so I can drop the car off and pick up later. I have spent too long over the years hanging around fitters to expect them to be quick even with prebooking.

Having said that I once arrived at HiQ tyres just before closing and he took pity on me and changed and balanced two rears (which had seized on) and billed me in about ten minutes. I am not saying they could work flat out like that all day but it was good as a one-off.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Bolt

Galaxy I had the same Halfords experience once but so far it’s been a one off. The last few tyres have been Blackcircles. Their approved fitter is a mile away (ATS) so I can drop the car off and pick up later. I have spent too long over the years hanging around fitters to expect them to be quick even with prebooking.

Having said that I once arrived at HiQ tyres just before closing and he took pity on me and changed and balanced two rears (which had seized on) and billed me in about ten minutes. I am not saying they could work flat out like that all day but it was good as a one-off.

I`ve used them 3 times so far as they were cheaper and fitted at home, arrived next day after online order for 2 front tyres, rears were done a week later, and new battery week afterwards

Company OP used I will never use again. too many bad mistakes made!

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Andrew-T

<< Company OP used I will never use again. too many bad mistakes made! >>

It's always a nice feeling to get back at someone after a poor experience. Trouble is, it may be a bit illogical when the culprit is just one example of a national chain. There are many branches, some poor, some good (as has been reported here) so the outcomes probably depend on local management. Your satisfaction may stem partly from a feeling that by spreading the word, you may deprive them of some business. May not make them improve I guess.

Same goes for car franchises (Never buy another French car!) and probably many other things too.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Scirocco
KwikFit have been really competitive on prices for a while now. I only use them for tyres and tyre repairs rather than anything more but they’ve always been decent and honest with me.
Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - daveyK_UK
Had a very good experience with National tyres who did the home fitting for free!
Yes the same price as in branch.

Not sure if it was a one off deal or is still the case, fitter turned up, passed him keys and locking wheel nut, 30 mins later he was done, even cleaned the alloys on the 2 tyres he changed.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - Bromptonaut

In last few years I've variously used KF, National, ATS and Formula 1 for tyres on Berlingo, Fabia, Roomster and The Lad's 107. Just gone for cheapest for brands I'm happy with. Michelin, Avon, BF Goodrich etc.

All good and thorough.

All probably tried to sell additions like tracking/alignment but were fine with a 'no thanks' answer.

Last time I remember rank dishonesty with upselling was 25+ years ago at Unipart. Tyre fitter told me front pads were worn. Went quiet when I asked purpose of the V cut in the pads with several mm still extant either side.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - John F

Have a look at mytyres.co.uk. Last year they delivered four tyres and I paid a local outfit a tenner each to fit them. Total price £250.80 for my quick heavy Audi A8 sport quattro. Result!

Admittedly this price was only obtained by fitting slightly 'wrong' size tyres - for some reason the 45 profile was half the price of the 40 profile, which has increased the circumference by 3.7%, necessitating a close eye on the speedo! But getting more tyre for less money seemed a no-brainer, and they help to increase the somewhat low 'sport' gearing of the car compared to its 'limo' cousin. Might also have slightly softened the suspension, although I haven't noticed either effect.

Seat Leon - Kwik Fit, something positive! - bathtub tom

fitting slightly 'wrong' size tyres - for some reason the 45 profile was half the price of the 40 profile

How dare you? You'll be having the ne'er sayers telling you you've invalidated your insurance.