Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - Alaur Rahman

I have a 2015 Mazda 5 estate riding on 225/45 R19 tyres. Recently I've noticed what seems like excessive tyre noise and vibration and am wondering if alignment/tracking will help with this. I have had a few bumps against high pavements as well as driving through some poor quality roads with large potholes.

I am not expecting the comfiest of rides with my tyre spec, but it does seem the noise and vibration has increased since I bought the car in 2018.

Thoughts?

Edited by Alaur Rahman on 22/04/2021 at 11:29

Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - _

How much tread left on your tyres?

These are the measurements from Nov 2020 service - I've done 900 miles since so I assume it's thereabout, but I can measure it again if need be. The noise and vibration seemed excessive even before the service.

Values are In - Mid - Out per the service sheet:

Front Left 5.56 - 5.55 - 5.73

Front Right 5.17 - 5.77 - 5.78

Rear Right 6.64 - 7.06 - 6.67

Rear Left 6.44 - 5.96 - 5.29

Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - bathtub tom

I have had a few bumps against high pavements as well as driving through some poor quality roads with large potholes.

Have you checked or had the tyres checked for damage?

I have checked them yes, and they were also checked during service

Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - John F

Much so-called tyre noise comes from our dreadful road surfaces, not poor tyres. Anyone with experience of driving abroad will confirm that our standard British road surface repair of spraying the worn uneven surface with liquid tar and then scattering large irregular sharp stones over it results in an extremely unsatisfactory driving experience. Just occasionally one comes across a proper brand new smooth road surface where virtually all tyre noise magically disappears. Find one of these and if your tyres are still noisy, then they are indeed the problem.

Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - mcb100
What make of tyre? Every Mazda6 I’ve ever driven has been on Bridgestones, and I don’t remember them being notably noisy.
Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - sammy1

Judging by the wear figures they must be relatively new. You do not say what make they are? Are they the same make as before the change and are they correctly inflated? Road speed and surfaces make a big difference to tyre noise. When I have changed from old to new I have noticed a difference but quieter not more noise!

Mazda 6 Estate 2015 - Excessive tyre noise - Grenache

Hi

You don't say what mileage the car has done? It could be a wheel bearing just starting to wear? After I changed the front wheel bearings in my Mazda 6 it made a difference to the noise.

It might also be wheel alignment, worthwhile getting this checked. Not sure about the 5, but the 6 can have the alignment adjusted on the rear wheels as well as the front.

Final thing is also to check tyre pressures, if you haven't already.