What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving standards following lockdown - Will deBeast

This isn't your typical "all the drivers around me are m****s" thread. Or rather, I'm the m****.

After hardly driving for a year, I'm very aware that I need to concentrate more on my driving as I restart. As an example, I'd forgotten how to engage the cruise control. Fortunately, it only took a few seconds to remember - and it set me thinking - I hadn't used it for over a year.

This happened before - I had a similar issue after I changed from driving 30,000 miles a year to a job that meant I caught the train. I even missed a red light - which was a real wakeup call. I had to consciously focus for a week or two. Make sure I'm actively using the mirrors. Checking my speed. The traffic lights etc.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Driving standards following lockdown - Will deBeast

It seems my choice of word for "idiot" is censored, but I'm sure you get the drift!

Driving standards following lockdown - FP

I think by now my driving skills would have been extremely rusty had it not been for the fact that I've continued to drive at least once a week. In the severest parts of lockdown I've done the household weekly supermarket shop. It was probably a bit naughty not to use the very local Tesco, but I go to the more (ahem) upmarket establishment in the local town, and this involves a mixture of dual carriageway and other roads, roundabouts and traffic lights.

I've continued to be monitored at the hospital where I received cancer treatment a couple of years ago and this involves a motorway journey.

Without all this - pretty much the full range of driving situations - I would be very concerned if I was getting behind the wheel again after a long break.

Driving standards following lockdown - Xileno

I've needed to keep using the car once a week during lockdown and am not aware of any degradation of my driving - not that I've been told about anyway...

But I can relate to the problem. I have a motorbike that I get legal just for the warmer months so about this time of year I'm beginning to ride it again. I have to be really careful for the first few weeks, it's surprising how rusty you become on the finer points of riding, dangers you have to look out for and try and predict that in a car you don't give a thought to.

Driving standards following lockdown - _

After recovering last May 2020, I felt quite odd after not driving for 8 weeks.

But I was also as week as proverbial kitten too !

Looking back, was I a bit hasty?

Driving standards following lockdown - Engineer Andy

After recovering last May 2020, I felt quite odd after not driving for 8 weeks.

But I was also as week as proverbial kitten too !

Looking back, was I a bit hasty?

Some nice (increasingly) brisk walks (min. 15 minutes, pref. 30-60) and housework / gardening is good for you. Best to get the fitness back first - also being outside in the fresh air and sun will do a lot of good on many fronts.

Driving standards following lockdown - John F

It seems my choice of word for "idiot" is censored, but I'm sure you get the drift!

Indeed so. It is sometimes necessary to bamboozle the e-Bowdler when using words like m0r0n. I too have occasional cruise control lapses, mainly because its stalk works in a different way in Mrs F's Peugeot than my Audi. I wish there was more standardisation of frequently used controls. But at least the pedals are the same - it must have been interesting 100yrs ago if you had a Model T Ford and another car with present day conventional pedal controls in the same household.

Edited by John F on 13/04/2021 at 08:54

Driving standards following lockdown - mcb100

I'll put up my hand to this. Passed my test in 1982, passed IAM less than a year later, spent a few years as an ADI, and always been pretty self critical and self aware of my own driving standards.

I am aware that now doing just a couple of short drives a week I'm having to think a little harder about driving and keeping up standards. Up until March 2020 I was doing 25-30,000 miles per year.

It'll come back again as, hopefully, work returns, but I'll admit to having to think more about driving.

Driving standards following lockdown - Andrew-T

I think this shows a downside to the gradual computerisation of cars (and other devices, come to that). They now have too many built-in features compared to 20th-century examples, and many now depend on touch-screens.

Having spent quite a number of years trying to devise database systems which their owners could manage, I know that they have to be used 'regularly' or habits get rusty. That means RTFM, which itself means having to write an intelligible manual. That, of course, is a PITA when the driver has to go somewhere at short notice.

Driving standards following lockdown - brum

It must be my age but I simply don't enjoy driving anymore, in particular when the roads are chock a block or find myself being hassled by people pushing me to break the speed limit or exhibiting other stupid or aggressive behaviour.

I've finally turned into a Victor Meldrew

It must be my age but I simply don't enjoy driving anymore, in particular when the roads are chock a block or find myself being hassled by people pushing me to break the speed limit or exhibiting other stupid or aggressive behaviour.

I've finally turned into a Victor Meldrew

I don't believe it!

Driving standards following lockdown - barney100

I drive an auto so haven't the mechanics of changing gear so I guess it's a bit easier to get back. I often think how I would manage with a manual, either it would be a doddle or a long time to get back into it.

This isn't your typical "all the drivers around me are m****s" thread. Or rather, I'm the m****.

After hardly driving for a year, I'm very aware that I need to concentrate more on my driving as I restart. As an example, I'd forgotten how to engage the cruise control. Fortunately, it only took a few seconds to remember - and it set me thinking - I hadn't used it for over a year.

This happened before - I had a similar issue after I changed from driving 30,000 miles a year to a job that meant I caught the train. I even missed a red light - which was a real wakeup call. I had to consciously focus for a week or two. Make sure I'm actively using the mirrors. Checking my speed. The traffic lights etc.

Not really. My annual mileage had dropped considerable after I jacked in my career a few years ago, so my normal usage hasn't dropped as much as most people's has during the pandemic.

I still use my car once every week or two for grocery shopping, plus the occasional trip to my parents as they are in my support bubble, plus a few others outside of lockdown periods. Just no 2020 holiday.

I have noticed a lot more people speeding/taking more risks on overtakes though, especially on local roads, presumably because they erroneously believe that less traffic must equal safer. I think it lulls people into a false sense of security.

Driving standards following lockdown - bathtub tom

A volunteer at a vaccination centre was advised to park at the far end of the car park, because: "they're starting with the eldest and most of them haven't driven for months".

A volunteer at a vaccination centre was advised to park at the far end of the car park, because: "they're starting with the eldest and most of them haven't driven for months".

Ouch! I'd be far more concerned about those people who have left their car lying around for months on end with flat as a pancake tyres thinking they'll be just fine if they just pump them up again. That and corrodede/warped brake discs and seized brake shoes.

Driving standards following lockdown - Sofa Spud

I've driven very little during the last year and hardly at all in 2021. When I had to do a few miles the other day, apart from being conscious of not having driven for a while as I set off from home, I found that within quarter of a mile I was driving as though I had been driving every day.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 13/04/2021 at 17:47

Driving standards following lockdown - skidpan

Combination of lockdown and a fracturerd Fibula stopped me driving for the best part of 2 months but the wife had to continue driving since she was her mother carer. Once back behind the wheel it felt no different driving at all, other than the traffic was busier than earlier in the lockdown when I had to stop on doctors orders.

Driving standards following lockdown - ExA35Owner

Just re-passed my MiDAS refresher test. No problems but a good thing to be checked regularly when you are carrying passengers, even as a volunteer.

Just re-passed my MiDAS refresher test. No problems but a good thing to be checked regularly when you are carrying passengers, even as a volunteer.

Gold star for you!

Driving standards following lockdown - Andrew-T

Just back from an 80-mile trip into north Wales, which is no longer out of bounds to us English. Can't say I noticed anything unusual in the traffic or my ability to drive, but I had the (perhaps mistaken) impression that almost every driver was very conscientious about speed limits. With the exception of a couple of hi-vis plod cars and an (inevitable) Audi.