What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - John F

There are two computers. One I keep running indefinitely, restarting it every 5000 miles for a record of long term use, the other I use occasionally to measure individual journeys. Sixth gear is rarely engaged on our local single carriageway roads, as it is 30mph per 1000 revs, and tiny engines with few cylinders are not usually happy at low revs. Easter Day was an opportunity for the longest journey we have ever been in it, mostly on the quiet, flat, dry, sunny A14 and M11, thankfully free of the elephant racers, so the cruise control was rarely disengaged, even though it was set at, ahem, a few percentage points above 70, sixth gear holding steady at 2500 revs.

During its first 5000 miles the long term computer gave 41.4 mpg over 4542 miles at an average speed of 31mph. Now at nearly 7,000 miles it reads 43.4 mpg over 1702 miles at average speed 33mph. I think this will stay much the same now the engine has run in and loosened up a bit. Surprisingly, yesterday's motorway trip gave an identical 43.4mpg over 121 miles at average speed 60mph ( there were short stretches of country roads and 30mph zones at either ends).

I hope some might be interested by this rather long post, and perhaps as surprised as I was that the fuel consumption on the long quiet motorway trip wasn't better than its usual short journey work. It probably would have been if we had been regularly slowed to 55mph by the elephant racers, as like most SUVs I doubt if it has a good drag coefficient.

Am I the only geek here making such observations?

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - Lee Power

Currently getting 45.1 mpg average according to the My Peugeot smart phone app.

308 T9 Purecrap 130 manual 6 speed.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - badbusdriver

Surprised at that 60mph average figure John, thought you'd have got more?.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - Bromptonaut

Odd how we differ; that looks high to me. What speed was being maintained on the M/way?

We ignored 'stay local' yesterday in order to have a socially distanced walk with The Lad and his girl at Tatton Park. That's about 120 miles each way and, like the OP M/way except for maybe five miles at either end and eight more homebound diverting via Tesco on the A34 at Trent Vale for petrol.

Car was the 1.2 Fabia. Average about same as OP but very noticeable how the average mileage clicked upwards during the long 50 or 60 restrictions where SMART motorway is being installed.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - John F

Odd how we differ; that looks high to me. What speed was being maintained on the M/way?

At the risk of incriminating myself, what was displayed on the speedometer can be deduced from the info in my post. I used to have a portable sat nav which indicated one or two mph lower than the speedo which was probably a truer speed. I have read a high miler's post that setting the cruise to 80mph is unlikely to trigger a camera, but I am a bit more cautious. Three speeding fines and one awareness course (jeez - that was a farce - but revealed astonishing ignorance amongst my fellow culprits) in my 54yrs of driving is quite enough, thank you.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - FiestaOwner

I think your mpg is fine John F. It’s a TC auto, which doesn’t help mpg. Also it’s an SUV which will have a bit more wind resistance than the car version (208?).

I have long reckoned that the Fiesta sized cars, I have owned, have been the most efficient at 40 – 45mph (ie when on congested “A” roads). MPG is definitely worse on clear roads, even at 60mph.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - Andrew-T

Surely it's basic knowledge that at speeds much above 50mph, fuel consumption starts to increase noticeably, mainly due to wind resistance but also because the engine will probably be past the peak of its torque curve. I also suspect that the small engine in John-F's tall vehicle may be struggling a bit more than some others might ?

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - Big John

Is it because of the type of car. Small SUV possibly not as aerodynamic as a car?

Mrs BJ has a 1.2 Fiat Panda that is very box shaped but light/small car. Around town and rural fuel economy is pretty good for a Normally aspirated port injected petrol car - generally early-mid 40's mpg - but take it on a motorway and it's not so good - late 30's mpg.

I have a Skoda Superb 1.4 tsi direct injection turbo petrol that is a heavy/large car but is pretty aerodynamic. As I've realised during lockdown with local driving it gets mid/late 30's mpg. However on a long run including motorway driving (70mph@2400rpm) it gets mid/late 40's mpg.

The PUG 2008 sits somewhere in the middle of these extremes so 43 mpg under multiple circumstance for a TC auto sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - skidpan

Car was the 1.2 Fabia. Average about same as OP but very noticeable how the average mileage clicked upwards during the long 50 or 60 restrictions where SMART motorway is being installed

Back in about 2014 works took place to install Smart motorway on the length the wife used on her commute, approx. 20 miles of which 15 miles was on the motorway. The limit dropped form 70 mph to 50 mph but her journey time changed little, 5 minutes or less. But her fuel usage dropped considerably, the average mpg of the Ceed diesel was about 50 mpg for the commute pre road works, during them it dropped to almost 60 mpg.

I have a Skoda Superb 1.4 tsi direct injection turbo petrol that is a heavy/large car but is pretty aerodynamic. As I've realised during lockdown with local driving it gets mid/late 30's mpg. However on a long run including motorway driving (70mph@2400rpm) it gets mid/late 40's mpg.

On our twice a year trip the Scotland the Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS would average about 53 mpg for the week, a calculated figure, not one taken from the dash display. That is lamost as good as we got form diesels in the past. At an indicated 73 mph (true 70 mph) it was doing about 2200 rpm.

The Leon TSi 140 PS we had before the Superb would average about 49 mpg for the week (again calculated), considering the Superb was a bigger and heavier car yet better on fuel I was surprised. After a few trips and the figures for the Superb were consitent I put the better mpg down to the facts that the Superb at DCT (shuts off 2 cylinders at a light load) and better aerodynamics.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - catsdad

My 1.4 Golf estate manual has averaged 54.1 mpg over the last 10k miles. This is mainly on A roads and Motorways. Cruising at 70 it will achieve up to 60mpg on a long run. These are computer readouts so probably a tad over optimistic. However I used to have diesels as company cars and they all averaged under 50 on the computer. So the Golf is relatively better.

The Golf fuel cost per mile is just under 10p. This is easier to calculate than faffing about with litre to gallon conversions.

Back to the main topic I hope the Pug engine proves to be good long term. There is a history of engines that have been initially praised only to be found out over the longer term.......Rover K series, Ford eco boost, and several VAG offerings for example. So I won’t count my chickens just yet.

Pug 2008 1.2 EAT6 30 fuel consumption - Motorway versus country roads - joegrundy

From 2013 to 2019 I ran an x-type 2.0 diesel. Usual mpg was about 46 mpg in local use. On my (then) annual trip to Andorra - mix of local, motorway, autoroute and mountain roads) my mpg was about 56 mpg, which I thought was pretty good.

My current car,, a sub-£1000 cheapo - Chevrolet (Daewoo) Lacetti 1.6 estate - does about 35 mpg around town in lockdown rules and about 45 mpg in longer runs. Nothing like as good as the £7,000 Baleno I owned for 9 months in 2020 (returned under CRA 2015 rejection law) at 50+ mpg but costing out the whole ownership costs, my cheapo car wins. And, should it become necessary, i can jettison it without too much regret.

(Actually, I would have regret. The lacetti is very practical and more comfortable than either the x-type or the Baleno).