What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Shifter design - movilogo

I prefer traditional PRNDS type shifter. Advantages of this design are:
1. Tried and tested, everyone knows operating it
2. At a quick glance, you can figure out what mode it is in

Because of fashion, now shifter design taking all forms.

Rotary dial type - you can't quickly glance and figure out which mode it is in

Different buttons for each mode - same problem as above

Steering column shifter - mostly in Mercedes - feels so cheap and fiddly. The American cars have them on steering but those were robust and being it on right in LHD cars makes sense because in emergency passenger can also operate it. But in RHD Mercs having it on RHS makes no sense.

Monostable shifter - like in Fiats and BMWs, again you can't see and figure out which mode it is in. This design allegdely caused few accidents as per internet.

This is another design change which solves a non-existing problem.

Shifter design - Andrew-T

Steering column shifter - mostly in Mercedes - feels so cheap and fiddly. The American cars have them on steering but those were robust and being it on right in LHD cars makes sense because in emergency passenger can also operate it. But in RHD Mercs having it on RHS makes no sense.

Back in the 60s many cars, especially large US tubs but also many smaller European makes, had column shift. The linkages must have made for quick wear, but I think the main reason was the popularity of front bench seats. In America, a must-have for the drive-in cinema.

Shifter design - pd

I can't say I have any problem with any of them. Put them in D and tend to stay there until end of the journey.

Surely any driver should know what position it is in without looking anyway and most/all have an indicator on the dash.

Shifter design - badbusdriver

I can't say I have any problem with any of them. Put them in D and tend to stay there until end of the journey.

Surely any driver should know what position it is in without looking anyway and most/all have an indicator on the dash.

Ditto.

Driving many different auto's while working in various garages, I've never had any issues because of the type of shifter.

Shifter design - Alby Back
Took me quite a while to stop disliking the column shift on my Merc, but now I just don't even notice it. I haven't crossed over into liking it mind you, or indeed the foot operated parking brake but I'm more or less at peace with them at least.

EPBs are still on my list of things to be grumpy about though. My wife recently got a car with one and it perhaps irrationally, irritates me for now, but I suppose that will pass.
Shifter design - ExA35Owner

I don't much like the steering column stalk on the Mercedes: it feels much more like a wiper switch! Also I think possibly too easy to flick straight through N from D ro R. I've developed a habit of not using N at all and moving into P when stationary.

For those who haven't met the system - stalk on the right of the steering column, push up to go in reverse, down for drive, in between is N, push on (as if you were working screenwash or horn) and it goes into P. Very neat and tidy design.

Shifter design - expat

Old US Chryslers had push buttons on the dash for the shifter. Just like a car radio.

The bench front seat let you slide about a bit when enthusiastically cornering but it was great for carrying three people up front (with proper seat belts of course). Our school run let us take the neighbours kids as well as our own. As for the drive ins - well you folks in the UK didn't know what you were missing. For teenagers living at home the drive ins were heaven!

I think traditional shifters have some mechanical linkages. All others are pure drive-by-wire type - isn't it?

Shifter design - elekie&a/c doctor
Not necessarily. Modern cars with shifters on the column will be electronic. Those with shifters on the centre console could be either or a combination of both . I’ve driven various MB models and I’m not convinced about the column shift . The lever always returns to the zero position, so the only way of knowing what gear you are in , is to look at the display on the dash . At least with a conventional prnd lever , you can “feel” what gear is selected by its position.

At least with a conventional prnd lever , you can “feel” what gear is selected by its position.

Yes, that's the beauty of anything analog.

On the shifter with manual overrides (often with flappy pedals) you can nudge the shifter on left (or right) in + - position. This serves as a visual reminder that you are in semi-auto mode rather than full auto. This can even be felt by touching the shifter - without even looking at it.

Monostable shifters caused several accidents.

thelemonfirm.com/2019/12/10/fcas-dangerous-gear-sh.../

Other than fashion, it still puzzles me what's wrong with traditional PRND shifters. Moving it away from center console does not offer much storage space. You can always have storage behind or other places.

On Merc column shifter

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/shifter-shows-how-wrong-right-can-be-15926

Having a shifter and parking brake accessible by front passenger is beneficial in case driver suddenly becomes incapacitated.

Edited by movilogo on 06/04/2021 at 10:18

Shifter design - pd

I don't think there have been any shifters which are physically connected for some time, they are all electronic.

Shifter design - Mike H

Our Honda CR-V Hybrid has 3 buttons on the centre console - PRD, seems pretty easy to me. No need to even glance at them when on the move, assuming you are aware of whether you are going forwards or backwards ;-)

Shifter design - Mike Lyons

I prefer traditional PRNDS type shifter. Advantages of this design are:
1. Tried and tested, everyone knows operating it

I don't agree 'everyone' knows . My main car has a rotary shift & it's the first automatic I've owned in over 35 years of driving. I've never used the traditional type

I've also hired Mercedes cars with column shifter - took a few minutes to get used to it but no more than that. I would expect a similar experience with other styles, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker when choosing my next car.

Shifter design - jc2

Used to be called a Prindle-PRNDL!!

Shifter design - Bilboman

I've often wondered why the design wasn't originally set to have a "P" position at both ends of the shift pattern, i.e. PLDNRP. If all the shifters in the world adopted the same pattern, with positions running in that direction front to back for console or top to bottom on the column, it makes sense: An accidental shift from P into Low gear is no more or less dangerous than an accidental shift from P into Reverse (which must happen a lot with clumsy or inattentive drivers), and if you accidentally engage low gear, at least you can see where you're going. All these fancy modern low speed collision avoidance systems would take care of low speed shunts (in either direction, surely?)
Cue comments from the left-foot braking brigade and their vocal opponents!

Don't think any car allows to shift to P unless stationary.

Some older cars used PRND321 which felt like sequential gearbox when in manual mode. Of course with 6-9 gears now such design is not viable hence we now have PRND+-

Shifter design - smallcar

The AP box in the Mini, 1100 and I think the Metro had Drive as A at the back of the gate so I believe it went PRN123A.