What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i10 - Doc
Has anyone any views or driven the Hyundai i10 1.0 T-GDi N Line (1 litre turbo)
Hyundai i10 - badbusdriver

I guess it really depends on what you are after and how much you are happy to spend. The i10 has long been considered one of the best cars in is class, but, perhaps because of that, it is no longer a bargain.I believe the 1.0 turbo is only available in the one trim level, so it is even less a budget runabout than the rest of the range.

And while it is nippy, it might not be as nippy as you think due to it weighing more than a tonne. To give that some perspective, the Suzuki Swift 1.4 Boosterjet, a bigger car with a bigger engine making quite a bit more power (138bhp), weighs less than a tonne.

You haven't said if the car will be new or not, but the 1.0 turbo has only been around as long as the current shape i10 has, so 2020 at the oldest. Cheapest on Autotrader is £12495 (3.5k miles), but for more or les the same money, you could get a 2019 VW Up GTI with 5.5k miles and an extra 15bhp over the Hyundai's 100bhp.

Bottom line is I doubt you'd be disappointed by the Hyundai, but IMO there are better options out there.

Hyundai i10 - _

And with a VW UP get a free problem gearbox, 3 year warranty from new.

Stick with an i10 5 year warranty or a Kia Picanto 7 year warranty, which is identical and cheaper, just different top clothes, underneath, everything else is the same.

Hyundai i10 - RickyBoy

Perhaps this isn't the answer you're looking for... ...but we've owned a 1.2 Premium, from new, for 5-years 3 months. It's been sed mainly as a second vehicle midweek runaround/shopper, though is more than comfortable on a 100-mile+ round trip at the weekend.

Consequently it's just turned 20,000 miles!

I have it serviced as per the book (front brake-pads replaced earlier this week) and it's sailed through its two MOTs. One set of replacement front tyres fitted at 17,000.

The 2nd generation i10s were reasonably-priced when I did 'the deal' back in Dec '15 though I think they're (even the base-models) definitely too expensive today, particularly the N-Line (isn't that close to £16K?)

Was thinking of chopping it in for a 20-plate model at the end of last year but after trouble-free motoring (apart from normal wear 'n' tear stuff and a warranty repair of corroded alloys after Year 2) I've decided we'll keep it for another 12-months at least, despite it now being out of the 5-year warranty. Have arranged full breakdown cover independently.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the N-Line, but you really do appear to be paying top-dollar for some additional 'toys', but, hey, each to their own.

Love the brand and the local dealership has been as good as gold during ownership.

I see hyundai are currently pushing cashback/discounts/dealer contributions across much of the range. Perhaps if/when they get down to 0% I'll take another peep?...

Hyundai i10 - Doc

I currently run a 1.2 SE so I know about the model.

It's just that I have seen a late 2020 very low mileage N-line at a price very close to lower spec models with higher mileages. I am not sure about the 3 cylinder engine and possible vibration issues; I'll have to organise a test drive when this is possible.

Hyundai i10 - RickyBoy

Ah, OK.

I too have some reservations about 3-cylinder engines (also Polo) although have no personal driving experience of them yet, so yes, a test-drive would be advisable.

All the best in your pursuit...

Hyundai i10 - Wilf2

There is nothing wrong with 3 cylinder engines.

My experience based on BMW K75s motorbikes - two with a total of 125000 trouble free miles, and now I run a Peugeot 308 130 bhp 3 cyclinder turbo with an 8 speed auto box.

So, turbo adds loads of low down torque which helps fuel consumption. Very smooth and no issues over 50,000 miles.

Have just bought a used N line i10 which I expect to be very capable.

In my view you can never have too much power, you just have to become a better driver.

Hyundai i10 - John F
Has anyone any views......

Yes. Content to have one as a hire car but would not feel safe long term in such a tiny tin box on today's roads.

Yes. Content to have one as a hire car but would not feel safe long term in such a tiny tin box on today's roads.

Why would you be happy to have one as a hire car if you wouldn't feel safe on todays roads in such a 'tiny box'?. An i10 is going to fare exactly the same in an accident regardless of whether it is a hire car or not.

Hyundai i10 - John F

Why would you be happy to have one as a hire car if you wouldn't feel safe on todays roads in such a 'tiny box'?. An i10 is going to fare exactly the same in an accident regardless of whether it is a hire car or not.

I said 'content', not 'happy'. Simply because the chance of having an accident in our holiday hire car is very much less for several reasons. I drive it v-e-r-y carefully, to hopefully return it without a scratch. Also, it gets driven for very few miles, and mainly on roads where it is unlikely to be squashed by a large lorry.....or even a Tucson. And it is almost invariably driven in daylight hours during dry pleasant climatic conditions.

Hyundai i10 - Andrew-T

Can't comment on the engine, but my brief experience of an i10 is that it feels surprisingly roomy for a small 'tin box'. You could check the crash-rating stats if that is a big item for you, but small cars are more manoeuvrable than larger ones, and less likely to be hit !

small cars are more manoeuvrable than larger ones, and less likely to be hit !

I agree, but also, remembering a staged (offset, head-on) crash between a (then) new small car (with a tiny bonnet) and a big old car from Fifth Gear, the smaller car basically just bounced of the big one!.

The front doors of the small car could be opened because the 'safety cell' protecting the occupants had suffered very little deformity. And the crash test dummies showed that had there been actual people inside, they would have walked away.

Neither the structure, nor the occupants of the old Volvo estate fared as well.

Hyundai i10 - skidpan

I am not sure about the 3 cylinder engine and possible vibration issues; I'll have to organise a test drive when this is possible.

The wife is on her 2nd 3 cylinder engine and there is nothing wrong with them regarding refinement. The first was a Nissan Note 98 PS which was followed by a Skoda Fabia TSi 110PS. Have the say the Skoda is better but nothing wrong with the Nissan.

Drove a bog standard Picanto 1 litre 3 cylinder a couple of years ago when the wifes uncle was looking, decent enough car. He bought a Suzuki Celerio (1 lire 3 cylinder) and its a bit slow but refined enough.

Try any and you will be surprised.