What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - Steveieb

Those who saw this afternoons programme which involved a gardener who bought a Ranger for £2800 , high mileage lots of dents etc.

The engine overheated and the local garage diagnosed a head gasket blown.

The owner contacted the dealer to complain on the 30 th day after buying it. The dealer offered to fix it for £600. But the owner took until the 34 th day to ask for a refund .

So according to the sale of goods act he was out of time by 4days.

But Rinder argued that as the owner had contacted the dealer in time that a refund was due.

Interesting that a letter rejecting the car is the thing to do!

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - Marie Vague
Interesting post I’m in the same predicament. I highlighted a major problem with the car on day 27. I asked for a refund after day 30 as it was not until then that we were realised the extent of the damage. A cracked gearbox casing that was bodged up with filler. The dealer wants to bodge it up and fill the crack again. I want a refund but he’s not budging. Might give judge Rinder a ring ?????
Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - edlithgow

I THINK you are on stronger ground there since that''s a fault that was unambiguously present at the time of sale. IIRC you've got the right of repair or replacement even after 6 months in those circs, and I THINK you should be able to argue successfully that filler on a gearbox casing is not a satisfactory repair.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - catsdad

I didn’t see this programme but have seen a few past episodes. I believe how it works is that the TV pay the award to the losing party.

Knowing a little about contract law and a bit about cars I have found some of his past decisions are not as cut and dried as they are presented. But hey it’s good entertainment and Rob Rinder is an engaging TV host with a lot of common sense.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - skidpan

A few vey important points to remember.

Judge Rinder is not actually a Judge, he is a Barrister.

Its a television programme and not a court.

Laws are not informed by what happens on the TV, god help us if they were.

This will make no difference to what happens in the real world, a place where very few people seem to live these days.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - catsdad
Correction "winning party"

Never realised that the TV company picks up the tab for the injured party.

That explains why the car dealer didn’t look too upset when the judgement went against him. The Tv company even picks up the breakdown costs and the cost of returning the vehicle to the seller.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - Ethan Edwards

Head gasket. Isn't that an unforeseeable thing? Didn't seem reasonable to me. You bought a cheap car as is and used it for a month. Then it blows up. Assuming everything else was functioning OK shouldn't the buyer just put on his big boy pants and pay up. Seemed to me a technical sub standard sales form was at fault.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - Andrew-T

Oh no, caveat emptor used to be the mantra, but it doesn't seem to hold in the way it did. I sometimes wonder why so many people stay trading when they get pelted by whingers who seem to think any difficulties are someone else's fault and responsibility. No wonder some of them can turn nasty in self-defence.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - pd

A Ford Ranger at that price is always one step away from a scrap yard.

Not sure they'd have got that far in a real court tbh.

Car dealers don't mind much either way on these things as long as there is a level playing field. Which sadly there isn't as so much is open to interpretation. At the end of the day the car industry works for a profit so the customers always pay for everything in the end like any other industry.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - Bromptonaut

Assume the CHG blew as a consequence of the overheat.

Not necessarily on first use, may have needed engine to warm up and be placed under sufficient stress to (say) call on radiator fan.

Had CHG go on my Peugeot 104 c1984 - faulty earth meant fan didn't start when the temperature sensor switch closed.

Ford Ranger - Judge Rinder awards a refund - skidpan

Not necessarily on first use, may have needed engine to warm up and be placed under sufficient stress to (say) call on radiator fan.

Electric fans rarely run when a car is moving unless the A/C turns it on.

Apparently the HG blew when the car was taken On the motorway.