What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - mondeoman2013

Hi,

I've been looking at a BMW X5 E70 3.0 diesel 2009.

I noticed the exhaust tailpipes were black with soot.

Did X5 of this vintage have a DPF fitted ?

if they did , why would the tailpipes be sooty ?

Thanks

BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - elekie&a/c doctor
This year model is just on the cusp of being fitted with a dpf . You would have to check the vin with BMW parts dept to confirm the spec .
BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - craig-pd130
This year model is just on the cusp of being fitted with a dpf . You would have to check the vin with BMW parts dept to confirm the spec .

Agreed, it was the same with a lot of manufacturers at that time. They were making and shipping new diesel models with DPFs, but UK dealers would still have some pre-DPF cars to sell, so the year of registration is not always a reliable guide.

Of course, a previous owner could also have removed the internal DPF matrix but left the external casing in place.

BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - RT

Euro 5 required DPFs on diesels, but was only mandatory on new models from September 2009 and new registrations from January 2011 - but some car makers had to fit DPFs to comply with Euro 4

BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - mondeoman2013

Thanks for the feedback.

The car was first registered in June 2009.

How do I find out if it was fitted with a DPF?

If none was fitted that would be a real bonus.

BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - elekie&a/c doctor
I suppose you could crawl under the car and remove the skid plates and do a visual check , or do as I previously suggested , call a BMW dealer parts dept , quote the Vin number and let them check the build data .
BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - S40 Man

My old MK4 Mondeo TDCi had a DPF but also a sooty exhaust. Maybe the filter isn't 100% efficient. Over that length of time some could accumulate in the tail pipe.

BMW x5 e70 2009 - DPF - Sooty tailpibe - skidpan

If you look on the V5C it will specify what the homologated emissions were. We had 2 Euro 4 diesels one with a DPF (2008 BMW 1 series) and one without (2006 Ford Focus). The particles are the important one, for Euro 4 a DPF was only required if it could not meet the requirement without one, the limit was 0.025 g/kg. The figure for the Focus was just below this but the 118D was way down in single figures, seem to remember 0.004.

But some manufacturers did fit one even if not required, pretty sure Peugeot did.

So if your X5 is nearly 0.025 it would almost certainly left the factory without a DPF, if its a low figure like our 118D it would have had a DPF.

Euro 5 came into being in September 2009, unlikely to affect your 2009 car unless it was a new model at that date (updates to existing did not count). If it was post September 2009 and a newly introduced model it will 100% have a DPF.

FYI our 118D always had a clean tailpipe, the Focus had a dirty one.