What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - mondeoman2013

Hi,

I've just viewed a car with a private seller which I'm looking to make an offer on.

The car has what is often referred to as a 'private reg' , which the seller is looking to retain or transfer to another vehicle.

I like the car and have no interest in what the 'reg number' is as long as it is legal.

What are the logistics required for me to buy this car with the original registration number ?

Would this

- delay purchase ?

- cause issues with my insurance ?

I have googled the issue and there are many articles/threads on the subject , butt I guess the rules and timeframes change over time, so any up to date advise would be welcome.

I would never put a 'private reg' on a car , but if I did I would have it taken off before offering it for sale, but we are where we are.

Thanks

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - badbusdriver

Surely if the seller wants to retain the private plate, it is up to him to deal with it, not you?.

Not really interested in private reg numbers myself either, but I think it is fairly easy and quick to do.

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - RT

The seller needs to put the cherished number "on retention" at DVLA, this can be done online - when they receive the revised V5C they can get new number plates made and complete the sale to you in the normal way.

There may be some delay to your purchase - it shouldn't cause any issues with your insurer.

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - Grenache

The seller will put his existing number 'on retention' and the DVLA will issue him a different reg number. (If the car was originally registered without the personal number being on from new, then the original new reg will be re-allocated).

The seller will then get a document to allow him to buy a new set of number plates with that (re)allocated number.

So, the seller should sort all of that out before you purchase. It'll be the same car, but just have a different reg on it.

There should not be any issue re insurance etc. If a HPI (or similar) check is done it will show up that the reg has been changed, but that's not generally a problem if the VIN matches between car and documents.

I've occasionally bought cars which have had the number changed by previous owners and its not been a problem.

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - Andrew-T

It's quite likely the seller did this swap when he got the car, unless it was registered new with the personal plate. If it wasn't, he may well have kept plates with the previous reg, and will be able to reverse the process with the DVLA. It's up to him, not you.

Yes, he originally bought the car with age related registration number and has the old plates.

So, how long would it take for him to get the updated v5 document?

I know it is his responsibility, I'm just wondering if it is worth waiting or better to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - elekie&a/c doctor
Transfer of the cherished plate onto a retention certificate is usually instant if done on line . However , as I have just found out, this is not always the case . I have recently removed the personal plate off my wife’s car. Tried on line and was not accepted. Had to send in all relevant documentation to Dvla . Took about 7 days .

Did you have the physical v5c document with updated registration in 7 days?

I think that is what he needs to sell the car to me.

Or am I mistaken.

Buying car where seller is keeping the Reg number - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes, new V5 with the original registration number . The cherished number retention certificate followed on a few days later. The vendor can’t sell the car until his paperwork is in order , if he wants to retain the private plate.