What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - Tobias Hamburger

Hi. I am writing this as I have just purchased an 61 plate Audi A6 and I am not sure what the value of it really is, I have checked honest john, autotrader, and other website, and i get everything from 6900-7700, but I had thought it would be worth more than that so here I am asking the people, and what their opinions on my cars value is.
Its the newer model which was in production from 2011-2018, its in dark grey.
2011 Audi A6 SE, 2.0 TDI
Saloon
45000 miles on it
2.0 TDI
Full service history from Audi Garage
I am the third owner, 12 month mot, 4 brand new tyres, has passed all mots in its history.
It is faultless and been well looked after, body work 9/10.
First registered November 2011

I purchased it cheap for 5200, but the car is currently in Denmark and I will have to go and collect it once the lockdown and travel restrictions end (It is and english car though)
Just wanted some people with a bit of knowledges opinion as I thought what different website had valued it at was quite low
Thanks

Edited by Tobias Hamburger on 13/03/2021 at 17:28

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - bathtub tom

I purchased it cheap for 5200, but the car is currently in Denmark

That's got the trappings of a typical scam. If you can retrieve your money, then do so NOW.

Didn't pay by bank transfer did you?

Edited by bathtub tom on 13/03/2021 at 19:11

The car has already been delivered at my parents adress in Denmark, my brother took it for a quick drive the other day
Transferred the money on delivery
Thanks for the concern though
Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - sammy1

Your car is 10year old with only 45k and Audi History, so indeed sounds like a good buy You do not mention auto or manual or any known extras to make the car more desirable to others Impossible to give a value but must be a the top of what you are looking at if as described.

Its manual, I dont think it has many extras, alloys look like the standard ones as well

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - chris87
First, it’s a diesel that did 45000 miles in 10 years. That means short trips in town, in the cold Danish climate. Not a good sign at all.

Second, it might be an Audi, but it’s an old car. It’s usually the age at which cars become expensive to maintain, especially a diesel that hasn’t been used for its intended purpose.

Third, it’s an SE, Audi’s bare bones trim. You get wheels, a steering wheel, seats and the kind of kit a relatively new vauxhall corsa (or any other small, cheap, entry level car) has (if you’re lucky).

Fourth, the prices you get from valuation websites are trade-in prices, that’s how much you can expect a dealer to pay you as p/x. You can sell privately for more, just like the dealer would add his own profit on top.

That car might have been “desirable” in its days, but I’m surprised it’s worth that much, so not a bad price after all. I would know, I sold my diesel A4 several years back, before covid and the announcement that ICE won’t be sold by 2030 anymore...

Edited by chris87 on 14/03/2021 at 05:04

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - badbusdriver
First, it’s a diesel that did 45000 miles in 10 years. That means short trips in town, in the cold Danish climate. Not a good sign at all. Second, it might be an Audi, but it’s an old car. It’s usually the age at which cars become expensive to maintain, especially a diesel that hasn’t been used for its intended purpose. Third, it’s an SE, Audi’s bare bones trim. You get wheels, a steering wheel, seats and the kind of kit a relatively new vauxhall corsa (or any other small, cheap, entry level car) has (if you’re lucky). Fourth, the prices you get from valuation websites are trade-in prices, that’s how much you can expect a dealer to pay you as p/x. You can sell privately for more, just like the dealer would add his own profit on top. That car might have been “desirable” in its days, but I’m surprised it’s worth that much, so not a bad price after all. I would know, I sold my diesel A4 several years back, before covid and the announcement that ICE won’t be sold by 2030 anymore...

Denmark doesn't have a cold climate, it has a temperate climate. Which means it doesn't get that cold in the winter and doesn't get that hot in the summer.

Looking on Autotrader for 2011-2012 2.0 diesel A6's, with up to 60k miles (and excluding insurance write offs). There are 10 cars made up of 4 SE's and 6 S-Line's. They range in price from £8649 for a 50k mile SE to £12k for a (privately owned) 44k mile S-Line.

The SE might have been the lowest spec, but it certainly isn't "bare bones", and has a far better standard of spec than in any small cheap entry level car, Corsa or otherwise. And unless you are more interested in image than anything else, the S-Line brings absolutely nothing else worth having with the possible exception of xenon headlights.

Not really an Audi fan myself, but SE is absolutely the spec I'd go for if pushed, for no other reason than the smaller wheels would give a better ride.

Whether or not buying a 10 year old diesel with 45k miles is a good idea is irrelevant as (A), the OP has already bought the car, and (B) he was asking whether it was a good price, not a good car. To that end, the (admittedly small) selection on Autotrader suggests it was a very good deal.

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - chris87
I didn’t say it’s a bad car, I’m just aaying their prices plumetted recently. First, NO, an SE is a bare bones trim, I had one, unlike you. Also, it doesn’t have half the gizmos you would find on a modern car (led lights, apple carplay and much more).

Asking price is one, trade-in value is something else.
Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - skidpan
Also, it doesn’t have half the gizmos you would find on a modern car (led lights, apple carplay and much more).

Doubt any 2011 would have those.

Thank you very much for your answer, very helpful

Its been in the UK until a month ago.
It has got all leather seats and stugg, and from the pictures I have seen, the interior looks a lot more luxurious than a new entry level car.
Anyway thanks for your answer.

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - SLO76
Good friend of mine just bought a tidy 2009 example with 77k for £3800. At the end of the day it’s an old car with a complex modern turbo Diesel engine and very costly parts prices so they tend to plummet in value past 7yrs especially the saloons which aren’t as useful as the estates. It sounds like you’ve bought well but I certainly wouldn’t pay almost £8k for one and nor would any dealer. There’s nothing to be concerned about regards it’s value though as you’ve paid sensible money.
Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - badbusdriver

I didn’t say it’s a bad car

Nobody suggested otherwise. I said the OP wasn't asking if it was a good deal, which, with the comment below, you don't seem to think it is,

First, it’s a diesel that did 45000 miles in 10 years. That means short trips in town, in the cold Danish climate. Not a good sign at all.

I’m just aaying their prices plumetted recently.

The prices of the cars I looked at on Autotrader was this morning. Have the values of them dropped since then?.

NO, an SE is a bare bones trim

Hmm, lets see, stop/start with energy recuperation, four drive modes, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, leather, sat nav, dual zone climate control, auto-dimming rear view mirror, etc, etc. Yes, must be just like sitting on a wooden chair in an empty shed holding a steering wheel. How any of those A6 SE drivers possibly managed with such meagre equipment levels, I'll never know.

I had one, unlike you.

Really, and how would you know what cars I have owned?.

Asking price is one, trade-in value is something else.

That isn't really relevant as the OP doesn't say whether it was from a garage or a private sale. Though one would think, logistically, for buying a car abroad, it would be more likely from a garage. What the OP does say is that he paid 5200. I'm assuming that to be Pounds, in which case it is a good price for a private sale, and a very good price from a garage. But if that price is Euros, the deal is even better.

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/03/2021 at 16:13

Bought it privately from a danish man who had just moved back to denmark from the uk and decided he did not want to keep it due to very high tax fees for getting danish number plates on it. And it was in pounds

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - skidpan

Bought it privately from a danish man who had just moved back to denmark from the uk and decided he did not want to keep it due to very high tax fees for getting danish number plates on it. And it was in pounds

Presumably the car is RHD and still on UK plates. That must make re importing the car easier?

Audi A6 2011-2018 - Valuation of Audi A6 - pd

My guess is it's worth about £7000ish trade price so add on top of that whatever you think it is worth as a private/dealer sale etc.

Prices have not gone down - in fact, like pretty much every used car at the moment - it is probably worth more than it was this time last year.

The S-Line and Ultra models do tend to be more desirable but there is nothing in particular wrong with an SE and as others have said they ride better on the smaller wheels.

Assuming it all checks out it is a very good buy for £5200 and will have lots of life left in it.