What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - Trilogy.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1316170

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - Steveieb

A friend has recently bought a 1966 Renault 16 with 56k miles.

Only had it a a week when someone ran up to him at a shopping centre car park asking him if he would sell it.

Eventually asking him to name his price a deal was done and the car delivered to its new home plus a tidy profit!

Ah those memories of cars from yesteryear can play havoc with your judgement !

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - Xileno

We (as in my family) ran a couple of 18s but the saloons. One was the 18TS, the other the American model, which was basically the same but with a higher spec and black and silver bodywork. Both cars gave good service and had a lovely soft ride. The best version was the TX or GTX with the fantastic 2.0 engine and slightly sharper handling although the ride remained excellent. Lovely alloy wheels too.

Three problems: rust, rust and rust. Ours was falling apart with rust by its eighth birthday and scrapped at nine. The whole front end (inner and outer wings) plus sills were crumbling away. Mechanically it was perfect.

Good cars in their day (not too difficult when the competition included rubbish like the Ital) but the asking price here is optimistic. An immaculate GTX or Turbo model might but not the humble GTL.

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - badbusdriver

If the question had been, "When did you last see a Renault 18?", the answer would have been, last Thurs, when I watched the film American Sniper!. But of course that was a saloon.

In seriousness though, this car surely needs to stay in a museum?. With only 360 miles on the clock, it would seem a sacrilege to start using it. Renault's own museum would seem the obvious choice as the car means more as a part of their history, but chances are they already have one.

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - SLO76
No way they’ll get close to that money for an R18. It was never a classic.

I think the last R18 I saw was in France when I was there almost three years ago. It's one of the many things I enjoy about the country, one sees cars that have more or less disappeared from our roads. I can understand seeing more old French cars because more were sold but I even saw a Montego diesel, although it looked a bit rusty. I think the 2.0 diesel was quite popular and Rover priced it to sell in that market. I've also wondered if the French equivalent of our MoT is easier?

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - skidpan

I think the last R18 I saw was in France when I was there almost three years ago. It's one of the many things I enjoy about the country, one sees cars that have more or less disappeared from our roads. I can understand seeing more old French cars because more were sold but I even saw a Montego diesel, although it looked a bit rusty. I think the 2.0 diesel was quite popular and Rover priced it to sell in that market. I've also wondered if the French equivalent of our MoT is easier?

I presume Rover is a miss type, they never made a Rover 18

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - 72 dudes

I presume Rover is a miss type, they never made a Rover 18

Skidpan, I think he was referring to the Montego n'est pas?

Yes.

SLO, the estimate was 8,000 - 10,000. It went for 7,750.

SLO, the estimate was 8,000 - 10,000. It went for 7,750.

I've said this on previous threads re old cars, specifically stuff like this, not that old and not an 'accepted' classic. it doesn't matter one jot whether or not the car is considered valuable, or a proper classic. All it needs is someone with a bit of money who's Dad, Grandad, Uncle or whoever had one and seeing the car brings back fond memories of happy times.

Just watch the first episode of the current Top Gear series with the 'Dad cars'. All three presenters were quite emotional sitting in the cars, you can't put a price or value on that.

Let's hope the new owner is handy with the waxoyl or equivalent.

They will need it based on our family's experience of the R18. Reliable and comfy but very poor bodywork.

Let's hope the new owner is handy with the waxoyl or equivalent.

They will need it based on our family's experience of the R18. Reliable and comfy but very poor bodywork.

The car is 38 years old and in as new condition. So I suspect the car has either always been kept in a dry environment, or is already very well protected against rust.

Plus, with a car like that, I'm not sure the new owner will be using it on the road?

That'll probably be one for a museum or annual trips to Festival of the Exceptional and the odd summer car show.

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - craig-pd130

Trilogy, could you please warn us well in advance when you plan to post links to classic auctions? It causes a plague of wallet moths in my house :-)

Did anyone else see the Allard P4 (a rebadged Lexus) in there too?

c-pd85, You have warning from time to time your wallet might get excited.

It's on Classics World on YouTube. What were they thinking? No wonder it was a sales flop.

When did you last see Renault 18 estate? 360 miles - 72 dudes

c-pd85, You have warning from time to time your wallet might get excited.

It's on Classics World on YouTube. What were they thinking? No wonder it was a sales flop.

The Allard was a strange beast.

I did like the E36 M3 with the tan leather though.

Those who like me don't mind wasting £15 a month on a classic car raffle should have a look at

www.bridgeclassiccars.co.uk competitions.

I have no affiliation, but l love reading up on each car offered. They are incredibly transparent.

Current offerings are 3 classic Minis - meh

Others I've missed winning include a 1996 SL320, a 1971 Stag, a 1997 Z3M, a 1995 XJ6, 1981 MGB GT LE and other modern classics.

I figure it's the same as being in a lottery syndicate but much more fun and better odds.