What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - Ade O

Hey, I am currently conducting a research in fulfilment of my dissertation requirements for my MSc degree. The topic is Consumer's adoption of Electric Vehicles: an adapted application of the Theory of Planned Behaviour. I'd appreciate if you could help participate by filling in the survey as best you could. Literally takes 5 minutes. Heres the link:

https://forms.gle/sAJVqfqwe8NxtbXN9

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - nick62

Reason 1 - Tax (0% BIK)

Reason 2 - Tax (Purchase cost 100% reclaimable against corporation tax in Year 1)

Reason 3 - Tax

Reason 4 - Tax

You get the drift?

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - mcb100
Completed to a hopefully more constructive conclusion than the previous reply.
Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - nick62
Completed to a hopefully more constructive conclusion than the previous reply.

Why the "dig", (some folk on here can't help themselves)?

Did you fill in the survey?
Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - daveyjp

Tried to answer, but where a question has a choice there should be a 'none of the above' choice, otherwise the answers are meaningless.

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - movilogo

I submitted my response, but agree with previous post that some choices could have been better with "none of the above" or allowing to choose more than one option.

I think in order to public voluntarily adopt EV, following things need to happen

1. price becomes less than comparable ICE car
  2. charging times becomes comparable to filling up tank with petrol/diesel = this is not going to happen unless you swap entire battery in charging station
  3. Battery does not make up a large cost of the car = imagine tank of petrol costing half as much as the car. Because of this, many buyers are afraid that if they own EV outright (rather than hiring thru PCP) it will be worthless when selling it in future.

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - Xileno

I got a bit lost with the statement: "Electric vehicles owners are perceived to be in a higher class making the cars more desirable"

I'm not sure what to make of that...

Edited by Xileno on 26/02/2021 at 15:47

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - chris87
1. Just bdcause it’s electric, it doesn’t mean it has to look like a UFO from the 60s. Give me existing petrol design with an electric engine, so I can’t even tell the difference!

2. Price. I get it, it’s new, but it’s sooo much simpler than an ICE or hybrid. The price is hyped, nit justified at all.

3. Where’s the character? The torque range, the gear changing, the noise, the smell... I’ve got a hoover already!
Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - KJP 123

nick62 Maybe not why some/many buy EVs but I guess why my B in L bought a Tesla S.

daveyjp Yes, that is true.

Movilogo I will answer below.

Xileno I understand. On the one hand a Tesla S gives you status as they are expensive. But maybe the rest are just seen as Virtue Signalling.

Coming back to Movilogo. I just saw a Youtube presentation. It was USA based so maybe not so relevant to UK.

1 Prices are becoming similar – so a tipping point.

3 Car batteries do seem to last and there are guarantees.

It is No 2 that is the problem. It is not range it is recharging or recharging times specifically.

You are not going to reduce that even by using same type battery packs. They are heavy and would need some type of fork lift truck.

I do think that the OP has totally missed the main problem – recharging.

Also is greater acceleration so good?. Granny now has a car that accelerates like a Veyron.

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - alan1302
2. Price. I get it, it’s new, but it’s sooo much simpler than an ICE or hybrid. The price is hyped, nit justified at all.

You need to understand that businesses are having to invest heavily into new manufacturing for these cars - they need to make that money back which is why they cost more.

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - RT

You need to understand that businesses are having to invest heavily into new manufacturing for these cars - they need to make that money back which is why they cost more.

Selling prices of cars have never been directly related to cost of production - they're based on supply & demand perceived value - any investment in EVs by manufacturers will be recovered over several generations., just as it has for conventional IC cars - indeed since EVs are said to be simpler, they should be cheaper to make.

Factors influencing adoption of EVs. - chris87
Indeed. There’s nothing new about 90 percent of the car, the drive train is the only thing that needs some research and even then, the costs of, for example, complying with emissions regulation, are not there. Also, no one wants to recoup their investment in the first generation of the product, it usually takes decades. It’s a simple case of inflating prices and profitting from the tree hugging hype.

No electric for me until I’m forced to, IF it will ever happen...

Edited by chris87 on 27/02/2021 at 08:34

Nor me, although I can see the current logic of an electric second car, which is what my neighbours did. Husband had a Zoe (very pleased with it) but the wife a petrol Focus that they used for longer journeys to visit family where range was an issue. It was an excellent arrangement, particularly as the Zoe was recharged most of the time for free at the employer's site. They don't have it now though since the renewal lease was not nearly so attractive as several financial sweeteners had been removed. Now they are back to two ICE cars.

I think there will be a stark 'wakening-up' at some point regarding the National Grid. Walking in the neighbourhood recently in the cold weather and seeing all the houses running gas central heating I wondered how the grid will cope when we can no longer burn gas and are plugging our cars in to recharge. One would hope the boffins have done all the calculations and I would love to be proven wrong but I'm not so sure.

Presumably electric cars don't suffer torque-steer as it's a perfectly linear torque curve from 1 RPM?

‘Presumably electric cars don't suffer torque-steer as it's a perfectly linear torque curve from 1 RPM?’

Torque street is usually a result of having unequal length driveshafts, and I’d imagine that having a big hit of torque will show up any geometry deficiencies as well as, if not better, than in ICE engined car. They do have all the active safety and driver aid systems in place as a ‘traditional’ car. An uphill, wet, give way line with maximum torque available from practically nothing could prove a challenge without traction control, especially on a tyre compound formulated for economy (range) rather than outright grip.

Thank you for that explanation. However, if there are still deficiencies in the way the power is delivered, as the torque is linear then the deficiencies will be normalised, rather than a sudden burst of torque with an ICE? Sorry if I'm not being very clear...

The problem with torque steer was the way it suddenly would kick in, almost out of nowhere. I remember driving a Rover 220 Turbo Tomcat in 1992/3 that was quite bad and I didn't buy it.

Edited by Xileno on 27/02/2021 at 19:51