What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - mcb100

Yesterday was the unveil of the 2021 Qashqai, due in the UK 'before Summer'.

They've gone for range extender with a petrol engine not connected to the wheels but purely to operate as a generator for electric propulsion. And for those who for some reason like pressing a clutch pedal and changing gear, it'll be a six speed manual as well as a proper car.

www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/qashqai.html

Edited by mcb100 on 19/02/2021 at 08:30

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - skidpan

Yesterday was the unveil of the 2021 Qashqai, due in the UK 'before Summer'.

They've gone for range extender with a petrol engine not connected to the wheels but purely to operate as a generator for electric propulsion. And for those who for some reason like pressing a clutch pedal and changing gear, it'll be a six speed manual as well as a proper car.

www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/qashqai.html

The manual you refer to is a mild hybrid, its also available as an auto.

The range extender (e-Power) version is not expected until 2022 and I would not expect to see a manual in that. Since the petrol engine is not connected to the wheels and purely provides power to the battery/electric motor there is no need for any type of "gearbox".

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - sammy1

I also read up on the Qashqui and could see no reference to a straightforward petrol. Is there going to be one ?

Read a bit more in WhatCar this morning. Had to check twice but they quote the electric range as 1.8 miles saying that a bigger range is not required. Have since checked the internet and CarWow quote a range of "about a mile" and say it has a "rather small capacity battery".

Seems to be a case of why bother.

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - badbusdriver

I also read up on the Qashqui and could see no reference to a straightforward petrol. Is there going to be one ?

I have not read up on it myself, but I can't really see any manufacturer introducing a new car these days (certainly in the UK or EU) that isn't, at the very least, a mild hybrid. With massive fines for not meeting the emissions target, it just isn't going to happen on a car expected to sell in big numbers.

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - Catfood

E-Power is not the ranger extender, nor mild-hybrid. It is a Series Hybrid already on sale in Japan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZJvNlkS6Z4

A regular, non plug-in Prius wont go much further on battery alone. I'm a little surprised that this one, described as a 'mild hybrid' will run on battery at all.

The usual description on a mild hybrid is 24 or 48V battery powering a motor linked to the end of the crank via a belt. It's there to provide assistance in overcoming inertia when setting off, and you don't feel the effects as a driver.

But it does allow a manufacturer to class it as a hybrid...

A regular, non plug-in Prius wont go much further on battery alone. I'm a little surprised that this one, described as a 'mild hybrid' will run on battery at all.

The usual description on a mild hybrid is 24 or 48V battery powering a motor linked to the end of the crank via a belt. It's there to provide assistance in overcoming inertia when setting off, and you don't feel the effects as a driver.

You need to read the article again.

The mild hybrid Qashqai does not have the ability to run on the battery, no mild hybrid does, all the technology does is make the stop/start work better and enable the cars to coast to a halt rather tan waiting for the car to stop before killing the engine. If you want a proper non-plug in hybrid that is the territory of Toyotas and the Hyundai Iconic base model.

Its the e-power model available from next year that has the ability to run a very short distance on the battery alone.

For the record the RAV4 I tested back in October was quite willing to kill the petrol engine at reasonable speeds (up to 70 mph) on downhill sections and even flat roads. I believe the battery was 1.3 KwH which in theory gave an electric range in town of about 2 miles with 100% charge.

It isn't about whether or not the car can be classed as a hybrid (though I guess having 'hybrid' somewhere in the name will make it more appealing to some buyers).

It is all about lowering the overall emissions of the manufacturers whole range. Obviously pure EV's are doing most of the heavy lifting there, but mild hybrids are a relatively cheap means of helping lower the overall emissions.

It does when legislation is still to be settled as to which types of hybrids will continue to be sold between 2030 and 2035.
The outline at the moment is that it will only be cars that can run carbon free for periods of time. Now you could argue that a regular petrol or diesel is carbon free when the injectors are closed on overrun, but they’re not hybrid, so banned from 2030.
If manufacturers can show that the car is
A - a hybrid
B - can run carbon free for periods of time, we may be seeing mild hybrids up to 2035.

Oh, the joys of trying to multi-task.

But the range still doesn't surprise me. The Honda CR-V Hybrid, which works in a similar fashion (I've not seen the layout of the Nissan gubbins yet) as ostensibly a range extender, would only do a couple of miles without firing up the engine.

It does when legislation is still to be settled as to which types of hybrids will continue to be sold between 2030 and 2035.
The outline at the moment is that it will only be cars that can run carbon free for periods of time. Now you could argue that a regular petrol or diesel is carbon free when the injectors are closed on overrun, but they’re not hybrid, so banned from 2030.
If manufacturers can show that the car is
A - a hybrid

B - can run carbon free for periods of time, we may be seeing mild hybrids up to 2035.

Firstly, I'm talking about now not 9 years time (by which time the 'new' Qashqai is probably going to have been replaced). But also, a mild hybrid can't run electric only so it's a moot point.

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - daveyK_UK
Visually, the new Qashqai doesn’t look noticeably different to the current Qashqai

Hopefully it’s more reliable
Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - Alby Back
I do wish you guys would stop saying that Qashqais are unreliable. Ours isn't, never has been, and neither was the one we had previously. No one has ever told them that they were supposed to be sickly and thankfully they can't read Internet forums.

If ours ever gets wind of the notion that it's supposed to be a hypochondriac, I shall blame you lot.

;-)
Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - Xileno

I think it depends which engine you have, that's what I gather from reading some of the posts on here. The 1.2 engine doesn't seems particularly durable whereas if you got the 1.5 diesel, those engines just run and run, provided they have been serviced properly and had cambelts on time. I had that 1.5 diesel in a MK2 Megane, no complaints at all.

Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - Alby Back
Our first one was a 2.0 diesel auto 4x4. 80,000 trouble free miles over two years. The current one is a 1.6 petrol manual, 85,000 trouble free miles over 11.5 years.

Well, to be fair, I think I had to change a headlamp bulb in it once...

;-)
Nissan Qashqai - New Qashqai - daveyK_UK
Qashqai reliability issues are backed up with the evidence ; European Nissans get some of the worst bits of Renault mainly the electrical gadgets and components.