What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - alexl92

Hi,

I've unexpectedly found myself in need of a car at short notice and would appreciate some advice.

My budget is small - probably up to £2500, with a tiny bit of wriggle room if I found an absolutely perfect motor - and the challenge is that I need a reliable estate or people carrier.

I've always had VAG 1.9TDIs - a couple of B6-era A4s, a MK2 Octavia, a Fabia estate - and I absolutely love them. Although I know HJ is not a fan of these, my preference is for another pre-DPF 1.9TDI or 2.0TDI (A4, A6, Passat, Octavia etc) as I know what to look for and how to spot a generally good example, but obviously these are now 12 years old at the newest and finding decent examples in my price range is challenging.

I would value some advice and recommendations of what else to look for. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cars but I recognise they are reliable, and have never really rated Vauxhall's build quality, but am willing to consider anything if the quality and price is right.

My mileage is mixed. I drive for work so some days I do 5 - 10 miles each way but on other days I do 12 miles to one site, 20 to the next, 30-odd home etc. I presume this means that anything with a DPF is out of the question.

I'd welcome any suggestions you may have!

Thanks

Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - craig-pd130

At the £2,500 level I would probably go for a petrol engine simply to avoid DPF / Eolys complications.

That sort of money would get you an early Mondeo IV hatch or estate with a 2 litre petrol engine. Not a fast car by any means but they really do handle and ride well, and even the hatches have a vast boot and huge cabin space. They're a well-built and strong car too.

AutoTrader shows several 2008 to 2010 examples with around 70K miles in the £1750 to £2250 bracket.

If a Focus is big enough for your needs there are LOADS of 1.6 / 2.0 petrols around too.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - skidpan

If a Focus is big enough for your needs there are LOADS of 1.6 / 2.0 petrols around too.

The Focus would be a good call, way more refined than an Octavia of this period. We tried a 1.6 and a 1.8, the 1.8 was excellent, the 1.6 under powered. The 2.0 should be better but at your budget don't get hung up on a particular spec.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - nellyjak

Despite you not being a Japanese car fan, ...maybe the Toyota Corolla Verso is worth a look.?

Good reliability and build quality at least.,

Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - skidpan

Despite you not being a Japanese car fan, ...maybe the Toyota Corolla Verso is worth a look.?

Good reliability and build quality at least.,

Word of warning, we tried one the same time as the Focus Estates, same afternoon in fact. The Verso (they had dropped the Corolla bit by 2010) was dreadful.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Help! Need some buying advice on a budget. - SLO76
Cast the net as wide as possible at this money. A Honda Accord 2.0 petrol, Mazda 6 2.0 petrol, Toyota Avensis 1.8/2.0 petrol or a Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol are all worthy options. You’re best avoiding dieeel at this money but an old pre 2005 Passat PD TDi is a great car if you can find one that’s not rotten and neglected.