What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - anyname

Hi, would anyone know if the 2020 version of the Toyota Proace has any issues with the DPF. Am I correct in thinking these vehicles share the DPF with Citroen, Vauxhall, and Peugeot, and the 2020 version would contain an upgraded DPF to earlier vrsions ?? Anything I should be worried about concerning DPF's (or anything else for that matter) on tis 2020 Proace ??

Thanks

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - skidpan

If you do low or mainly town miles worry. If you do decent runs and over about 10,000 miles a year you should be OK.

I will be doing mostly town driving in and around London with the occasional trip on dual carriage/motorway. T I see plenty of diesels driving around town, thought maybe the PDF issues were more or less resolved in 2020; I know a van enjoys a good run though- but how often ?

Last car we had with a DPF did a regen every 250 mile after the previous one regardless of how it was used. So we tried to ensure that 250 miles happened when we were able to carry on to allow it to complete. more than 3 failed regens and it was a visit to the dealer and pay for them to do a forced regen to clear the light on the dash.

Yours will be different to that and you will need to learn if its not in the handbook. There was no mention of the 250 miles but its widely reported on the owners forum even today.

I am a bit behind the times regarding engines and the latest tech. However ive recently been looking at vans and I see the latest "Toyota City" seems to be aimed at town/city drivers, it has only 5 gears, and several reviews state that its not ideal for motorway driving because of this. Nowhere have I read anything about DPF issues, or alternatively an "improved" DPF on these vans. It all just strikes me as a bit odd; even on this great website there is an article somewhere about the dangers of DPF's, but manufacturers are producing new diesels aimed at "City" driving. I just wondered if I had missed something and the newer DPF's are more forgiving than the older ones !!

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - badbusdriver

Manufacturers are not 'choosing' to fit DPF's, they have to, no choice. But on a medium or larger sized van, diesel is by far the best choice of fuel due to the combination of torque and economy. So van makers want you to buy their products, but they are not going to tell you that there is likely to be DPF issues, just as they won't tell you about any other issues unless safety related.

I wouldn't read anything into the name Toyota City, it is just words, and is no different from any other Proace part from having 5 rather than 6 gears. Possibly a little less power(?), but essentially the same engine, just 'de-tuned' slightly. As for not being suitable for motorway driving because of just having 5 gears, utter rubbish!.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - mcb100
I do wonder if the threat of DPF’s can be overstated? The vast majority of vans are diesel, and how often would a 150 drop a day delivery driver get on a motorway to give it a run. We don’t hear tales of workshops full of Transits having forced regens carried out.
But they do spend all day with exhaust gas temperatures at a point that may well look after the DPF.
Short journeys with a cold engine are one thing, but 12 or more hours of action may well de enough to keep it healthy.
Even my low-tech 14 year old Jaguar diesel will undergo an active regeneration in stop/start traffic.

Yeh maybe I'm being paranoid. Im a heating engineer and most of my work is local, and I try to avoid sitting in traffic for more than an hour, and I usually turn up at the job, stay there all day, and then drive home again. My current van is a diesel but there is no DPF fitted, so never had an issue with them.

As im in the market for a new van, thought I would ask about the DPF and if they will change the way I drive. TBH all the trades where I live drive diesels mostly, so there must be something right about them. When I ask work pals about their vans they always say theyre fine generally on the DPF front at least, but never have a real in depth conversation about it. Hence why im asking on this forum; anyone with a small or medium diesel who only does short runs generally ? Do you give it a blast out once a week, once a fortnight, once a day !

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - daveyK_UK
Not much to worry about with DPF on these vans with the 2.0 diesel

The Vauxhall Vivaro version gets a 3 year 100k miles warranty where as the Toyota gets the 5 year 100k warranty.
You do pay considerably more to have a Toyota badge on the front but if you are not a high mileage user and plan to keep it for 5 years, go with the Toyota.
You can extended the Vauxhall warranty to 5 years but not sure what it costs as they quote for each model and engine differently.
Manufacturer warranty’s are the best.

Not sure on the warranty for the Citroen and Peugeot versions.
There will soon be a Fiat version as well which should be even cheaper than the Vauxhall version.

I assume it will go (in price)
Fiat
Vauxhall
Citroen
Peugeot
Toyota

That’s how it is now (without the Fiat but can’t see the Fiat version being anything under than budget unless they try and significantly restyle it).

One last thing, you can extend the warranty on Citroen and Peugeot’s , but Fiat have never offered it as an option on cars or vans.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 13/02/2021 at 12:06

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - bazza

To the OP, the Proace City is a smaller van than the Proace. The City is a rebadged Berlingo or Partner or Vauxhall Combo, none the worse for that, but it is just marketing speak, it's no better or worse in town driving than any of those. As said above, the larger Proace is a Citroen Dispatch, Peugeot Expert/vauxhall Vivaro with a long Toyota 5 year warranty. I would say buy your van and just use it normally, giving it plenty of long runs as often as you can. You will need Adblue top ups on any of these but not a prblem.

Do you give it a blast out once a week, once a fortnight, once a day

Simple answer is never. "blasting" out a DPF is not possible. The particles are bonded to the matrix and only a regen will remove them (actually burns them into ash) at over 600 C. All thrashing the van will achieve is to block it faster. If you could simply "blast" the particles out what would be the point?

Just let it get on with life and hope all remains OK. If you get a light up on the dash follow the instructions in the handbook, its normally to drive a certain distance and/or time (usually 20 minutes) at certain revs (usually between 1600 and 2000). If that fails its garage time.

No warranty covers a DPF unless it fails due to a manufacturing defect. Blocking through inappropriate use is never covered.

We had DPF's for over 7 years. Never had an issue but we found the regens a pain since we liked to let them complete and carrying on for more miles before stopping could be difficult sometimes. One of our cars allowed 3 failed/incomplete regens before a dealer visit and £££'s for a forced regen and reset.

That's why we drive petrols these days.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Steveieb

Things with the Vivaro must have improved for Toyota to put their name to them . The only van I know that made it onto Watchdog for injector problems.

Also weak gearboxes were common on the older models.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Heidfirst

Things with the Vivaro must have improved for Toyota to put their name to them . The only van I know that made it onto Watchdog for injector problems.

The old Vivaros (that had the Watchdog injector problems) were Renault based though. The new (2019>) & Toyota Proace are PSA based.

Also weak gearboxes were common on the older models.

It is a PSA van, not a Vauxhall van, PSA just happen to own Vauxhall now. Toyota put their name on the previous mid sized PSA van too, before Vauxhall was a factor.

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but I remember reading that the problem with the gearboxes on the older Vivaro (presumably also the Renault Traffic and Nissan Primastar) was that the designated filling point for the gearbox was at too low a level to get enough gearbox oil in there!. And of course, most vans are not driven with any mechanical sympathy at all(!), so this, along with the low gearbox oil, lead to excessive gearbox failures. But, apparently, resourceful individuals have found a way to get enough oil into the gearbox through another point.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Metropolis.

I don't doubt that story, a bit like how some cars have raised sump plugs, often on the side or front of the pan rather than underneath, so you can't drain the remaining sludge at the bottom without getting creative. I'm struggling to think of a justifiable reason for doing it, and can't. Even if we try and blame the bean counters (sorry Avant), perhaps because the same part is being used across the group, there's still an engineering team that gave the OK to a sump plug on the SIDE of the pan. Madness.

I imagine for the older Vivaro you would either drill a new hole, or pump more in and plug it before it can drain out again, or park sideways on a hill?

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Lee Power

Wouldn't touch a Pro Ace with a barge pole.

One of the field technicians at the company I work for, his Pro Ace went back 76 times in its first 3 years.

Other technicians have had rental vans for months on end while there Pro Ace is back at the dealer for various repeat faults.

Unfortunately the field technicians are stuck with them as there working for a Toyota group company so have to have a Toyota van.

Not really heard much bad about the newer Pro Ace but due to Covid the technicians don't get together any more so don't hear any gossip.

So, excuse my ignorance ive never even driven a van with a DPF; I assume that a 2020 Proace from the PSA Group has active regeneration capability, meaning the DPF will automatically regen (by injection of fuel into it) when it needs to during them occasions when the exhaust has not been hot enough to do it by normal means ?? If this is the case, anyone have any feedback on DPF's from the PSA group from year 2020 ?? Are the same DPF's fitted across all the PSA group van models ( small and medium) of the same age ? So for example if I opted to buy a smaller Vauxhall Combo Cargo, would it have the same DPF as a Proace ? Thanks this is most helpful !

I've also never driven vehicle with a DPF (that I'm aware of), so no real ideas about that. Regarding whether the Proace has the same DPF system as other PSA vehicles, I don't know for sure. But, given the reason for these collaborations (to reduce costs), I would strongly suspect that they don't have separate systems. Where things get complicated is that the Proace is only available with two engines, a 1.5 and 2.0 diesel, both with 120bhp(?), neither of which are available in the Combo. In that, you don't get the 2.0 and the 1.5 is either 75 or 130bhp (with a 110bhp 1.2 petrol between). So I guess it is possible there may be differences between the Combo and Proace DPF systems, but highly unlikely between the PSA vans of the same size/design (Dispatch/Expert/Vivaro).

Apologies for my comment up the page re the Proace City, I had no idea that was a separate model (Toyota kept that one quiet!). I thought the way the OP was describing it that it was just a low spec, entry level version of the Proace!.

Looking on Toyota's website, the water sems to be muddied yet further in that the Proace City has a choice of 75 or 100bhp 1.5 diesel's. No sign of the 130bhp version available in theCombo, yet, as far as I can see on Vauxhall's website, the 100bhp version isn't available on the Combo. Perhaps this is to try and encourage buyers to opt for the 1.2 petrol (not available on the Toyota according to the website). I have not had a look at the Citroen and Peugeot website's to see if the 100bhp 1.5 diesel is still an option on them!.

Heard a few cases where Ford Main Dealers have refused to replace Blocked DPF s on vans under warranty . And some companies are buying older euro 4 vans and spending money refurbishing them.

What I wonder is how do motor homes cope with DPF problems . They stand idle for most of the year then get used a lot over the summer, maybe on long runs?

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - mcb100
That sounds ideal for a DPF. While they’re idle they’re not creating particulate emissions, and the longer runs will keep them clear.
The biggest threat may be having the DPF stolen whilst no one is looking.

Edited by mcb100 on 14/02/2021 at 11:43

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Bromptonaut

FWIW we've run a similarly powered Berlingo Multispace to 100k miles with no troubles from the DPF. In that time it's needed one top up of EOLYS fluid (the agent that's injected into the fuel tank to facilitate re generation of the DPF).

We're aware of ot doing an active regen every now and then with the give away being the radiator fan running on after engine shutdown.

The only Van I know of that physically warns you it’s doing a re-gen is the Fiat Doblo which has both a light on the dashboard that comes on and some text on the dash info panel.

Fiat have had this in place for years on the Doblo, no idea why others haven’t copied.
Presume the old shape Vauxhall Combo van which was based on the Doblo had the same set up.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 14/02/2021 at 20:44

The Eolys fluid, is that still used on PSA 2020 models. Had no idea what is was until reading about it just now. Ive been searching for a Proace 2020 handbook to download which would answer most of my questions but cannot source one. Anyhow this Eolys fluid, am I correct in thinking it raises the temp of the exhaust so a regen can take place when its not hot enough (I.e when in slow moving traffic). ?

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - alan1302

The Eolys fluid, is that still used on PSA 2020 models.

At least on the Combo model it's Adblue they use now

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - shaun gilmartin

how can it be covered under warranty? I thought DPF's were regarded as serviceable items.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - RT

how can it be covered under warranty? I thought DPF's were regarded as serviceable items.

Warranty covers "manufacturing faults" even on service items

That is certainly true on paper, but how would you go about proving your DPF's problem was caused by manufacturing defect?.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - RT

That is certainly true on paper, but how would you go about proving your DPF's problem was caused by manufacturing defect?.

Up to six months from point of sale, it's up to the dealer to prove it wasn't caused by a manufacturing defect - after that it's for the customer to prove it was, but I accept that's difficult.

Some good deals on pre reg Vauxhall Vivaro , identical van to the Proace
Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Mr Andrew James Haydon

I bought a brand new 2020 Proace, it first went into limp because of “oil deteriation” at around 6000 miles, it has now done 34000 miles and has gone into limp for the same reason roughly every 3500 miles. It is driving me mad. Toyota are not interested in trying to mend it they just change the oil and reset the computer, an independent plugged in a computer and he says that the dpf is not regenerating, although the van itself does not say so, it apparently regenerated last 1400 miles ago. Could this be affecting the oil quality. I really hope someone can spread some light on this or say if they have the same problem.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Lee Power

I bought a brand new 2020 Proace, it first went into limp because of “oil deteriation” at around 6000 miles, it has now done 34000 miles and has gone into limp for the same reason roughly every 3500 miles. It is driving me mad. Toyota are not interested in trying to mend it they just change the oil and reset the computer, an independent plugged in a computer and he says that the dpf is not regenerating, although the van itself does not say so, it apparently regenerated last 1400 miles ago. Could this be affecting the oil quality. I really hope someone can spread some light on this or say if they have the same problem.

Its a badge engineered Stellantis vehicle, the only Toyota bits are the badges.

The ad blue tanks are a known weak point that Stellantis has a quality / service campaign in place for - your local Peugeot / Citroen dealer will likely have plenty of knackered ones around the back awaiting disposal.

Maybe try contacting Toyota customer care directly & see if they can help gee the dealer up in to sorting it once & for all.

Toyota Proace - 2020 Proace DPF - Mr Andrew James Haydon

Thank you

Reading all these contributions I will be advising my son to hang onto his Euro 4 Transit and throw loads of money at it getting it repaired.
He has recently bought a Vauxhall Astravan with the Isuzu engine dating back to 05 , for short runs and the fuel consumption is amazing, and both vans don’t have DPFs