What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - alex sunny

Hello,

OK-So I've gone on the official website and there's lots of info (and threats if you haven't paid etc) plus links to this and that-but no easy reference as to how to pay-in advance to cross one day and go back the next day.

I would prefer to not open an account since that means depositing £10 which is 100% more than the £5 return charge.

An ideal would be an app( like a car park). Can anybody tell me the easiest way to pay without getting out of my car.

thanks

alexsunny

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - FP

The website says "You must pay the Dartford Crossing charge by midnight the day after you cross."

I assume that means you can't pay in advance. I don't see why that would be a problem.

Edited by FP on 05/02/2021 at 09:03

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Galaxy

You can't pay by getting out of your car!
www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Says you can pay in advance by post (!) or by telephone.

They aren't the easiest of companies to deal with, I'm afraid. They closed the account that I opened a few years ago simply because I hadn't used it for a while! Plus they took an additional £10 from my credit card after I'd used the account for just one crossing. Nice little earner!

Now run by a French company - I guess that says it all!

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Bromptonaut

The system seems to be to pay after crossing. If that is indeed the case then why not just comply?

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Maxime.

You can create an account and give a card number and it will deduct each time you use it.

No need for a deposit of £10

www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Home/S...e

• Pay automatically from credit or debit card/must have active payment card.
  • Email can be sent upon payment.
  • No initial payment.
  • No discount.
  • Suitable for occasional users.

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Ian_SW

It's a real hassle in a hire car. The only way I could figure out to do it was register the hire car onto my account, and then un-register it afterwards to stop the next person who used that car costing me money.

I've only done that once, the next time I needed to go to Kent for work in a hire car I dropped down the M11 onto the North Circular and used the (free) Woolwich ferry instead. It didn't seem to take much longer than going round the M25

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Bromptonaut

It's a real hassle in a hire car. The only way I could figure out to do it was register the hire car onto my account, and then un-register it afterwards to stop the next person who used that car costing me money.

I've only done that once, the next time I needed to go to Kent for work in a hire car I dropped down the M11 onto the North Circular and used the (free) Woolwich ferry instead. It didn't seem to take much longer than going round the M25

We live in a village between Northampton and Towcester. We used to use the crossing routinely going over to France 2-3 times a year and to Kent with the caravan. However, on one occasion, returning north, there was disruption around the tunnel and/or on the NE quadrant of the M25. Satnav etc suggested M20/M26/M25W then M40/A43. Worked fine apart from the usual jams around Heathrow and took no longer. Cobham services are a sprawling mess but a lot easier to use with a caravan than either Thurrock or South Mimms.

In fact if, going the other way, you approach the M25 from the Southbound M40 the info signs give you times to the Channel going round the M25 either way.

Because of using that route, crossing from Portsmouth a couple of times and Covid cramping our style my Crossing Account has been suspended. Really should ask for my £12 back but it can wait until we're able to go down again.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/02/2021 at 14:19

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - nick62

I had an account or a few years and it worked OK as originally you could just top it up with a fiver.

I never used that route for a while and subsequently received an email advising that if the account wasn't topped-up by at least £10 it would be closed and the balance donated to charity.

I replied that I wanted my balance refunding, but according to them, the only way possible was with a cheque! It did give me a perverse sense of pleasure that it had cost them some expense to post me my £5.99 refund (or whatever it was)!

When it came, the hand written cheque (and envelope) looked like they had been completed by a five year old!

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Fernando P

You can pay either in advance or arrears for one off crossings and as Maxime writes you can set up a pay as you go account as I have done.

I think that this is a good arrangement for occasional users as it ensures payment is made within the time scale.

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Chris M

I have a pay as you go account which I believe stays active whilst the payment card is in date. They will email you prior to the card expiry date.

My son has the same and like me is an infrequent user. Last year he was planning on crossing and went online a couple of days before to check he had updated his car (which he had) and was required to update his payment card. A week after crossing, two fines arrived for non payment. Phoned them and was told reactivation of the account isn't immediate (nothing to say so online), but they cancelled the fine and took the fiver over the phone. No argument, although no apology either.

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - alex sunny

Hello,

OK-So I've gone on the official website and there's lots of info (and threats if you haven't paid etc) plus links to this and that-but no easy reference as to how to pay-in advance to cross one day and go back the next day.

I would prefer to not open xxxx an account since that means depositing £10 which is 100% more than the £5 return charge.

An ideal would be an app( like a car park). Can anybody tell me the easiest way to pay without getting out of my car.

thanks

alexsunny

thanks my issue has been fixed.

Edited by Avant on 20/02/2021 at 12:33

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - skidpan

Hello,

I would prefer to not open xxxx an account since that means depositing £10 which is 100% more than the £5 return charge.

thanks

alexsunny

thanks my issue has been fixed.

What you should have said is:

"I'm back and have now put the dubious links in a copy of my original post"

Just another low life scumbag.

Edited by Avant on 20/02/2021 at 12:34

How to pay the Dart crossing charge ?. - Avant

If anyone has a burning desire to quote a spam post (why????), please don't reproduce the spam link. It means I have to delete that as well.