What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - orli

Hello! Please help me choose the right car. My budget is no more than £ 8000. Used car, but a reliable, economical main condition and an automatic, preferably Japanese. My very old diesel Volkswagen Lupo is completely unusable. And now I want a more comfortable car and a bigger one. I was thinking about a Lexus ct200h or Toyota Prius, but from the review I understud that a hybrid is more of a city car. And I live outside the city, I do not stand in traffic jams, I live in the suburbs, but I often drive on dirt roads and there are also intercity trips, the driving style is not hasty. Does a hybrid make sense or is a diesel better? The choice of cars is so large, and I'm at a loss, how to start the search?

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - badbusdriver

How many miles do you cover?, why are you often driving on dirt roads?, are these dirt roads rough?. Without answers to these I'd be reluctant to give suggestions (OK, I don't actually need the answer to the second question, I'm just curious as to why you often drive on dirt roads!)

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - Avant

Which country are you in, Orli? I just wonder if it's one where there are more 'dirt roads' than in the UK. That might make a difference to any advice we could give you.

- orli

my summer house is located in a place where I have to drive 6-10 miles on a dirt road. it's not a long distance, but in the summer I have to cover quite a bit through a dirt road. I'm from eastern europe

Edited by orli on 28/01/2021 at 22:08

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - Nezza
I can recommend a Toyota Auris hybrid. I bought one two month ago to use for my 90 mile daily commute (70 mile on the motorway). Granted it is probably not quite as economical on the motorway as a diesel but I am averaging 52 mpg at 70mph. Hitting over 60mpg if I stick at 60mph. (Other reviews I have read suggest warmer weather improves this further as the batteries perform better.) I can do local journeys averaging 55-60 mpg and I live in a hilly area. The tax is free and also the cost of fuel is cheaper than the cost of diesel. Brakes are reported to last longer than normal due to the regenerative braking system with some claims of 60k miles between changes though I take this with a pinch of salt until I see the proof myself.
Comfort wise, the car is comfortable and smooth enough with the only gripe being if you give it some beans, you get the feeling there is more noise than output from the engine, but I think that is perception more than actual as you do not feel any gear changes. The transition between battery and petrol use is very good with very slight difference at swap over.
I opted for the Excel spec which includes heated seats, satnav, self park, phone etc and at 30k miles for under £10k seemed good value.
Toyota reliability gives me confidence and the car drives with no squeaks or rattles and feels tight like new.
Bad points- selecting reverse gear you get an annoying beep that is louder than the reversing sensors so you can’t hear them. Toyota disabled this beep for me so the sensors can now be heard fine. There is no spare wheel (2015 model and earlier), though there is a wheel well.
The wife likes it as it is easy to drive so I find my fuel goes quicker as she would rather use mine than her bus. ?????
You feel like you are driving a taxi- but if they are used as taxis, they must be reliable was my theory.
I also hear there is a risk with the catalytic converters being targeted on these and other Toyotas though there is a protective device that can be added.
So far, no regrets for me.

Thanks a lot! I will consider Toyota Auris!

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - SLO76
If you’re located in the UK £8,000 won’t go far regards buying a hybrid so I’d stick with a normal hatch such as the Honda Civic 1.8 or Toyota Auris 1.6 CVT
a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - bazza

Yes, the hybrid, although nice and undoubtedly good is much more expensive than the equivalent petrol version. We have a 16 year old Corolla in the family, I can vouch that they are as tough as old boots, not exciting but competent and comfortable. I have a 1.8 civic, which is similar, although it rides fairly low, so dirt roads might be an issue if they're rough. Also what about a Suzuki s cross or even Vitara to consider?

I will consider Toyota Auris. But I began to doubt about the hybrid and I am concerned that there may be frequent repairs in the hybrid, expensive spare parts. For the amount that I can pay, the cars already have a fairly large mileage. Up to what mileage limit can be considered with a petrol version?

Edited by orli on 29/01/2021 at 16:57

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - bazza

Unless you live in a city, there is very little, if any economy advantage in driving a hybrid and the additional purchase price will take you several years to payback through any fuel economy advantage, therefore go for petrol. But the hybrid is very pleasant to drive and relaxed. I would expect any Toyota to be extremely reliable and the hybrid is no different, although I believe it requires main dealer servicing and checking. Something that may be a factor for you. As for mileage, more important is a full Toyota service history, I wouldn't be too worried by the actual mileage figure but as an example, we bought our Corolla at 60000 miles and it's now on 105000 miles, it has only needed 2 calipers and a wheel bearing recently, clutch and exhaust are original. Obviously the higher the mileage the more you can expect to replace consumables and the occasional non consumable but overall they are very well made, simple and robust motors.

a Newer car. Used. Your suggestions - Nezza
Mine has just expired on the warranty which is 5 yrs from new however the battery is ten years. The battery requires an annual check/service at Toyota which is approx £60 to keep this valid. Using logic of how long a car usually lasts after the warranty has expired, I am hoping the batteries are good for 15 years plus and so far hearing no issues of the older ones still in use now.