What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - _

I'm off till this all stops.

Good luck Chaps and ladies too!

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Chris M

Spammers 1 - _ORB_ 0

:(

Spammers 1 - _ORB_ 0

:(

BUT, it got the spam deleted quickly the second time..

Big Smiley...

Spammers 1 - _ORB_ 1

:)

It is good to see a sense of humour,

Chris 2 ...

No, sorry,

AVANT 35, spammers 0.

And on that, off to celebrate the birth of twins to my niece.

Just in case anyone asks, 37 weeks, 1 boy, 1 girl and both 5 pounders...

Mum looks radiant!

"Mum looks radiant"

That may not last!

But some much needed good news at Chez _ORB_

:))

Edited by Chris M on 26/01/2021 at 17:59

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Metropolis.
Come on ORB, dont let the spammers (which we have established I cannot distinguish from a 3 bed semi) win.

I have not seen whether Avant has responded to your volunteering to become a moderator, I think it is a nice idea if the remit is purely to delete spam. But it does require staying power which Avant has akin to an oak tree.
will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - John Boy

My suggestion was not to make ORB a moderator, rather to give him the means to delete spam. In retrospect, I doubt whether it's possible, certainly with this software, to keep the two separate.

My thought was that whoever did de-spam would restrict themselves to just that.

After all most of it seems to appear in the Hours of dark here in th UK.

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - alan1302
Come on ORB, dont let the spammers (which we have established I cannot distinguish from a 3 bed semi) win. I have not seen whether Avant has responded to your volunteering to become a moderator, I think it is a nice idea if the remit is purely to delete spam. But it does require staying power which Avant has akin to an oak tree.

And ORB is off now and has come and gone in the past - no good when looking for someone to stay and keep reliably getting rid of things.

Not that I think the site needs anyone to get rid of Spam. Avant does a good job and most spam I've seen recently is people complaining about Spam - which is a bit ironic! :-)

Only real solution is changing the forum software and that is up to the site owners - they are the ones that need complaining to if you want change.

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - paul 1963

ORB, in your first post in this thread you said "I'm off" ...then posted 3 more times??

Don't let the spammers bother you..I just ignore them

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Trilogy.

There more to life than Spam, corned beef! ;-)

Hate corned beef. Upsets my tummy...

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Alby Back

Yeah, Bacon Grill. ( Bacon Grill and Ketchup sandwiches on white bread ) Mock ye not until tried... ;-)

ORB, in your first post in this thread you said "I'm off" ...then posted 3 more times??

Don't let the spammers bother you..I just ignore them

It got the discussion going. (Light-heartedly)

And I offered a long time ago to assist. That was declined as Avant said it was controllable.

If the site wants other moderators that's up to them.

The odd poster with a link isn't too much trouble but when you are confronted with 2 pages of it....

It spoils the enjoyment of the forum together with the disintegration of the news site and other features.

Still. Those who may be interested in the gig can always offer to send in a CV...

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Avant

Time to reply!

Firstly, many thanks for your kind offer, ORB. When we discussed this before it was all under control and the actual moderation is easier for one person to do on their own.

This computer-generated nonsense is a different matter. As you say, the odd chancer trying for a free advert is probably just trying to start a business, and I can cope with that easily. But I can't believe an actual human being would post several pages of d*****.

Strictly it's not a moderator's job, but I can't let the forum appear like that.. I think the best thing we can do is wait and see if Kalpesh can come up with something to deal with it: there is an existing filter which up to now has worked most of the time, but for some reason not any more.

Once again, ORB, much appreciated, and thanks to all of you who have posted messages of support. If anyone has a moment, do please Email editor@honestjohn.co.uk so that they don't think I'm making a fuss about nothing.

Edited by Avant on 26/01/2021 at 23:03

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - skidpan

Have a look in the Classics forum, seems the SPAMfest has moved there. Anyone fancy a Penis enlargement?

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - skidpan

On the other now closed SPAM thread I was asked

What were their replies to you about it?

after I said I had complained about SPAM to the admin.

To confirm, I have never received a reply.

Nor have I so far, but there's less of it this morning.

Skidpan, you Emailed moderators@honestjohn.co.uk which comes to me: I presume you also Emailed editor@honestjohn.co.uk as I suggested,

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - KB.

I've sent a note to the editor email address.

That'll fix it! :-)

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - KB.

And a positive reply received almost straight away to say the matter is in hand, which was good to see.

And a positive reply received almost straight away to say the matter is in hand, which was good to see.

Ditto, well done Avant.

I've had a nice reply from the site editor:

"Hope you're doing well and surviving okay in lockdown. Thank you for letting us know about this - Kalpesh has raised the issue with the tech team and they are looking into it now to get the problem solved. I'll let you know when we have an update.

"I can understand how frustrating all that spam must be so it's something we will get sorted as soon as we can. Thanks for all your help."

So problem recognised and in hand.

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Trilogy.

Good news Avant. I just ignore the spam, knowing it's soon dealt with.

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - bathtub tom

I'm a conspiracy theorist. I've emailed the 'editor' and since I've noticed the spam seems to have increased. Anyone else emailed them?

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - dan86

I'm a conspiracy theorist. I've emailed the 'editor' and since I've noticed the spam seems to have increased. Anyone else emailed them?

Whist I've not emailed yesterday was particularly bad took up a whole page of threads

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - barney100

Spammers are soon off, we won't let 'em get the better of this great forum.

If none of us read there posts or reply to their threads then they've been unsuccessful and wastes their time. And if they're on here they're nit scaming and old lady out if her life savings.

will it ever stop? - SPAM SPAM SPAM - AND MORE SPAM - Andrew-T

If none of us read their posts or reply to their threads then they've been unsuccessful and wastes their time. And if they're on here they're nit scaming and old lady out if her life savings.

If spam is automated, who monitors the responses ? It can only be done by someone clicking a link and buying a sex toy or something ?

If none of us read their posts or reply to their threads then they've been unsuccessful and wastes their time. And if they're on here they're nit scaming and old lady out if her life savings.

If spam is automated, who monitors the responses ? It can only be done by someone clicking a link and buying a sex toy or something ?

Who knows but if none of us click on their links then they won't be getting the traffic from this website and maybe realise its not worth posting on here? I'm no computer expert so i may be completely wrong

I'm sure that's true for the normal type of spammer - a chancer trying to advertise their own product or service for free, and failing.

But there's nothing rational about post after post of d*****, all more or less identical. This is some stupid form of software that's got out of control, and it's what our IT people are looking into now,