What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - Joe tuzzer

Hello, I have noticed that my car is making a strange whooping noise when I am at 2500 rpm upwards. It especially happens in 3rd gear and seems to rise with rpm, it also goes down with rpm when letting off the accelerator. The noise goes as soon as I press the clutch down and doesn't seem to do it when stationary and revving. There isn't any vibration or any other symptoms other than that noise.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - BPL

Anyone?

Gearbox bearing(s) worn? Try taking to a good independant mechanic(s) and ask for an estimate for repair.

Hello, just been out in the car and it sounds more like its coming from the exhaust. Could a blowing exhaust/joint cause this noise?

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - Andrew-T

As you suggest it only happens in a moving car, could it be a vibration accentuated by wind - such as a loose exhaust heat shield ?

It's more like a UFO type whooping noise. Not sure. All heat shields look to be alright. If it was gearbox surely It would make the noise all the time?

It's more like a UFO type whooping noise.

Can't comment - I've never heard a UFO .... :-) But since you say it only happens in a moving car, it must either be somewhere in the transmission, or some sort of wind-generated noise ?

Haha fair enough ??. It's a strange rotational whooping noise and only seems too be around 3k rpm in 3rd and faintly in 4th gear. Both seem to be around the 40mph mark. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Its driving absolutely fine and pulling in all gears and no whining so no idea. I have just changed the gearbox oil with the correct spec oil a few weeks ago and didn't find any metal in the oil or anything, it was just black. Whether that could cause a noise too start I don't know but don't see how it could with fresh oil.

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - bathtub tom

Undertray?

Hello mate, my car doesn't have an undertray

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - John F

If the noise goes as soon as you press the clutch down, presumably when travelling at speed and allowing the engine to idle, it is probably engine/ancillary related. Perhaps coming from the poly-v belt? Try spraying the belt with water and see if the noise disappears temporarily.

Hello mate, I will try that in a bit and see if it solves it. Its sounds as if its coming from the exhaust though which is what is throwing me off. Will see what happens. Cheers for the suggestion

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - BPL

Hello mate, I will try that in a bit and see if it solves it. Its sounds as if its coming from the exhaust though which is what is throwing me off. Will see what happens. Cheers for the suggestion

Does it have a turbo? They can hoot like an owl

Hello mate, no it's doesn't have a turbo it's a 1.6 NA petrol. Just been out in the car and the noise sounds like it's definitely coming from the backbox are of the exhaust. Might just leave it and see how it goes.

Hello mate, no it's doesn't have a turbo it's a 1.6 NA petrol. Just been out in the car and the noise sounds like it's definitely coming from the backbox are of the exhaust. Might just leave it and see how it goes.

If you're pretty sure the back box is the source, maybe that has a hole somewhere which becomes a Helmholtz resonator at a certain road speed ? Sounds a bit daft, but daft things can happen ..... :-)

It's a strange noise, it's a brand new cobra backbox and it's all solid with no holes or blowing or anything. It's only at a certain rpm at a certain speed so I can live with it. Just hoping it's nothing serious.

It's a strange noise, it's a brand new cobra backbox and it's all solid ....

So the noise started with the new exhaust ? That's rather suggestive. Perhaps it's designed to work like an organ pipe at a certain speed ?

The backbox has been on for a about 1 and a half months and this noise has been there for a few weeks. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear part of the exhaust. Do you reckon it could just be resonance from the exhaust at a certain rpm range and speed?

I'm not an expert on exhausts, but as a 'sort of' physicist I guess that a standing wave might be created in the pipe at a certain rpm figure. Are you certain none of the joints leak ?

I'm pretty certain there are no leaks. There doesn't seem to be any other things happening apart from the noise. It does sound like an oscillating wave. Almost like a skipping rope being spun next too your ear.

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - blindspot

window seal

Sixteen replies and now you tell us it's a new, boy racer backbox.

Right, and that reply is necessary?

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - Bolt

Right, and that reply is necessary?

Not far wrong as they are boy racer exhausts, which I suspect you know, they are normally tuned to sound as you want -really giving a better (so they say) exhaust flow, but as a whole exhaust rather than just one box on its own, as you have just backbox assume its just for the sound it gives

It's just strange how it's happened all of a sudden and I haven't noticed it before. I put the backbox on because the car is so quiet with the stock exhaust it's unbelievable.

I put the backbox on because the car is so quiet with the stock exhaust it's unbelievable.

Sounds as if you got more noise than you bargained for then ?

Yeah, sounds like it

It's just strange how it's happened all of a sudden and I haven't noticed it before. I put the backbox on because the car is so quiet with the stock exhaust it's unbelievable.

Might be worth taking it back to supplier if its that noisy ,maybe a baffle plate has either moved or someone has damaged it as its sudden ?

Yeah maybe. Thanks for the suggestion. Just seems weird how it's all of a sudden.

Yeah maybe. Thanks for the suggestion. Just seems weird how it's all of a sudden.

Could be the baffle has come away from outer casing, iirc they are only spot welded in place, though could be wrong?

Maybe, I have had a look as good as I can inside the exhaust and it's a straight through pipe with the honeycomb around the outside. Just been for another drive. The noise starts at around 35mph and when I put the clutch down it slowly fades away as the revs drop back too idle.

If you go back to the supplier he may well say 'they all do that, sir' ??

Maybe, I will give them a message and see what they say. Thank you for the help. Hopefully it's nothing too worry about and normal.

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - sammy1

I do not know what the whooping noise might be but go along with the theory of loose baffles.

I would like to mention the ever more common practice of cars emitting popping noises and loud bangs from exhausts. This is prevalent on many more modern cars and it appears some manufacturers offer it has some optional extra? Not very clever when you are walking the pavement with your dog.

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - galileo

I do not know what the whooping noise might be but go along with the theory of loose baffles.

I would like to mention the ever more common practice of cars emitting popping noises and loud bangs from exhausts. This is prevalent on many more modern cars and it appears some manufacturers offer it has some optional extra? Not very clever when you are walking the pavement with your dog.

It seems to occur when boy racers thrash their sporty cars to the rev limiter and then lift of and brake. (Seats seem to be a popular choice, being cheaper than the equivalent Golf.)

Valve timing and overlap must play some part in these events, on modern cars valve and ignition events don't change much from factory settings, unlike the old days of contact breaker distributers and carburetted mixtures.

It seems to occur when boy racers thrash their sporty cars to the rev limiter and then lift of and brake. (Seats seem to be a popular choice, being cheaper than the equivalent Golf.)

Valve timing and overlap must play some part in these events, on modern cars valve and ignition events don't change much from factory settings, unlike the old days of contact breaker distributers and carburetted mixtures.

More likely imo it has a straight through exhaust as I`m not so sure a back box will make it much louder, possibly make it sound like a V6 but thats about it, a full system will but not part, ie rear silencer, on re reading whats been said I think its a full system which may not have been tried out fully beforehand hence the surprise in sound difference

I could be totally wrong ????

There's no reason at all for modern vehicles to backfire through the exhaust. On lifting the throttle pedal, fuelling will be cut off - no fuel, nothing to ignite. The only exception would be for turbo charged, high performance vehicles requiring exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooling and advoiding lag. Also, 'boy racer' type mods to specifically make this happen.

Ford fiesta 1.6 petrol 2007 - Weird whooping noise from car - skidpan

There's no reason at all for modern vehicles to backfire through the exhaust.

One of the cars I looked before deciding on another Superb was the Hyundai i30N, thought that a last "hot" hatch might be a good idea before senility finally sets in.

That car had various settings some of which made it pop and bang on the over run. For me it was not desirable, every time I hear such a sound I think "winker".

No idea if its possible to stop it banging but close to us on old bloke (must be in his 80's) has an i30N and that pops and bangs a little as he lifts off, not enough to frighten children but its still there.

The only exception would be for turbo charged, high performance vehicles requiring exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooling and advoiding lag

The need for injecting fuel directly into the turbo to keep it spinning ceased many years ago. With modern electronic management its simply not necessary.

For anyone who is interested, I found out what the noise was and it was the rear drivers side wheel bearing. I got both rears done for a very good price and the noise has completely disappeared. Strange that it stopeed when the clutch was depressed but in my case it was the wheel bearings.