What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Banded Service Charges - Ian Etherton

I drive a Skoda Octavia with the relatively new 1.5TSi engine.

At my local VAG main dealer, the servicing and MOT charges are different for Skoda, VW and Audi cars despite them all having the same engine as mine.

Whilst I'm not complaining as mine is in the cheapest band, although they are very good at quoting me the cheaper Skoda price and charging me the more expensive VW price so I have to be on my toes, I don't understand why there should be such different prices for servicing and MOTing the same engine.

Any thoughts or answers??

Banded Service Charges - Metropolis.
I have never heard of this but suppose it is predictable, if a little ridiculous.
Do they also give you a different variant of complimentary coffee if you have a certain car? Instant for Skoda, organic soya decaffinated latte for Audi? Commercial customers a Bovril? (Nothing against bovril it is actually my favourite).
Banded Service Charges - skidpan

The Skoda dealer we use charges lower prices than the local VW dealer. They actively advertise the fact that they can do Audi and VW servicing cheaper and you still keep the warranty since the specs are the same and they obviously use OEM parts.

Think you will find Skoda service plans cheaper as well.

Its the befit of owning a Communist car.

Banded Service Charges - mcb100

It's down to customer perception. An Audi customer, having paid more for their car, is deemed happy to pay more to have it serviced.

Edited by mcb100 on 22/01/2021 at 17:43

Banded Service Charges - daveyjp

Also more likely for an Audi to be a company car, so charge top whack.

Banded Service Charges - RT

I drive a Skoda Octavia with the relatively new 1.5TSi engine.

At my local VAG main dealer, the servicing and MOT charges are different for Skoda, VW and Audi cars despite them all having the same engine as mine.

Whilst I'm not complaining as mine is in the cheapest band, although they are very good at quoting me the cheaper Skoda price and charging me the more expensive VW price so I have to be on my toes, I don't understand why there should be such different prices for servicing and MOTing the same engine.

Any thoughts or answers??

Free market supply and demand - same as the big difference in list price despite common underpinnings.