What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Good News at Nissan Sunderland - alan1302

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/22/brexit-ha...f

Good News at Nissan Sunderland - SLO76
Good. Now if they could just start designing and building the reliable cars the name deserves.
Good News at Nissan Sunderland - Metropolis.
Exactly. Let Nissan be Nissan and I expect they would still be at the top of the reliability charts like Nissans of old. Allegedly that what the corporate coup was all about, I think?

The CVTs that have a bad reputation are Jatco (Nissan) though.
Nissan have in the past built some great cars.

200 SX
Primera Mk I
Sunny GTi
Almera GTi

To name a few. Sadly all we get in Blighty today are rebadged Renaults with all the typical woe they bring once they’re out of warranty. The only genuinely good car they still sell here is the Skyline.
Good News at Nissan Sunderland - skidpan
Nissan have in the past built some great cars. 200 SX Primera Mk I Sunny GTi Almera GTi To name a few. Sadly all we get in Blighty today are rebadged Renaults with all the typical woe they bring once they’re out of warranty. The only genuinely good car they still sell here is the Skyline.

Work colleague had a 200SX, agree it was a good car but sod all use for an adult in the back (just like all coupes), had a headache for days after going to a course in it.

Mate had a Sunny GTiR, the one with 4WD and what at the time seemed like a stupid amount of power (only about 200 bhp, less than the Superb iV). Saw the wrong side of a hedge a couple of times, unbelievably tail happy, probably the short wheel base.

Dad bought a new Almera SRi when he had just turned his 69th birthday. It replaced a Primera Mk 1 which had more hit and runs in 1 year of ownership than all the other knocks he had had in almost 50 years on the road, other than that a nice car. The Almera as well as being the "sportiest" car he ever owned was also the most reliable. In 7 years it had just one failure, the drivers door lock which was sorted under warranty. When he bought it the dealer had loads of pre-reg ones in stock which included GTi's. I would have snapped one up for myself if I had not swapped cars 3 months earlier.

We have also had 2 x K12 Micra 1.2's. Both great cars, in the 10 years they were on the drive the only problem was a failed boot release (warranty) and a broken front spring. One is now coming up 16 and the other just turned 13, both still on the road with decent looking MOT history. Why did we have 2, the first proved to be a pain since it was only a 3 door and had no A/C but we were offered a terrific deal on a 5 door with better spec (5 door with A/C and other bits) so we did a deal. The 3 door went to a chap as a driving school car, no surprise there.

Good News at Nissan Sunderland - Alby Back
Should we sell our 13 year old Qashqai then? We've only had it 11.5 years and it's been no trouble while in daily use during that period so far, but is it a ticking time bomb?

;-)
Good News at Nissan Sunderland - Avant

Although Renault had tied up financially with Nissan by 2008, I don't think there was as much commonality of parts between Nissan and Renault. Hopefully your Qashqai was built with Nissan parts and Nissan quality control.

Phew!
Should we sell our 13 year old Qashqai then? We've only had it 11.5 years and it's been no trouble while in daily use during that period so far, but is it a ticking time bomb? ;-)

You’ve been lucky. Plenty of folks I know have had them, few buy another. They sold very well around here yet there’s hardly any Mk I’s left while Civics, Astra’s etc are around in big numbers at similar age. The earlier cars were more reliable than more complex later cars, especially the CVT’s and the 1200 turbos. Shame really, as the design is excellent on paper.
"You’ve been lucky. Plenty of folks I know have had them, few buy another. They sold very well around here yet there’s hardly any Mk I’s left while Civics, Astra’s etc are around in big numbers at similar age. The earlier cars were more reliable than more complex later cars, especially the CVT’s and the 1200 turbos. Shame really, as the design is excellent on paper. "

Well, I'm genuinely not trying to be impish, but we've had two of them (Qashqais) in very different circumstances. One is the 2008 1.6 petrol manual we still have, and the other was also a 2008, but the 2.0 diesel 4x4 auto that I had as a company car for two years. That did 80,000 trouble free miles in two years, and the one my wife uses, has taken rather longer to get to 85,000. Again with no unforeseens.

Is it possible that certain engine/gearbox combinations were less good, or have we been lucky twice?

Certainly the worst car I've ever had was a Renault Espace, that nearly drove me to distraction. But the only other car I've had any disappointment with in recent decades was a Signum which just had lots of niggly faults.

A succession of Mondeo TDCis were faultless things and my last ten years with E class estates have, over a combined distance of 345,000 miles, been trouble free.

If we were to change the Qashqai ( not rushing to at the mo ) but if we were, "she" kind of fancies a Duster. From what you're saying above, seems like it'd be wise to give the 1.2 a swerve?

Edited by Alby Back on 23/01/2021 at 08:27

Forgot about the K11 Micra too. These were brilliant little cars when they first appeared in 93. Compared to rivals they were a real step ahead with bombproof, rev happy twin cam engines, sweet gearboxes and nimble handling along with a low price tag and running costs. Very much rated them. The K12 less so, they were generally good but didn’t stand neglect quite as well and weren’t as much fun to pilot.
Good News at Nissan Sunderland - Engineer Andy
Forgot about the K11 Micra too. These were brilliant little cars when they first appeared in 93. Compared to rivals they were a real step ahead with bombproof, rev happy twin cam engines, sweet gearboxes and nimble handling along with a low price tag and running costs. Very much rated them. The K12 less so, they were generally good but didn’t stand neglect quite as well and weren’t as much fun to pilot.

Indeed - though with the K11 (as I discovered), rust around the sills and crossmembers can be a serious problem as they near 10yo.

Other than that (and, for me at least, the cold start temp sensor issue, which was sort-of fixed [it was never that great starting in those conditions]), it was a lovely little car to own, especially as a first car - easy to drive, great visibility all around, reliable and cheap to run/maintain. Quite simple to look after for the DIYer as well.

Good News at Nissan Sunderland - Sulphur Man

Its good in that the plant remains viable. I'd be interested to know the workforce changes needed to manufacture more batteries and less cars though.