What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Halmerend
I’m so reticent to use an ice scraper these days after badly scratching a previous car’s screen right in my eye line. Other than just sitting there until the car warms up, does anyone have any helpful tips to clear a screen of thick ice and frozen snow safely please?
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - daveyjp

Heated windscreen.

Failing that brush for snow, de icer for ice, last resort luke warm water immediately followed by wipers so it doesn't freeze again.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Bolt

Heated windscreen.

Failing that brush for snow, de icer for ice, last resort luke warm water immediately followed by wipers so it doesn't freeze again.

As above except de icer as that is not as good as it used to be, I use luke warm water and switch wipers on after pouring water over screen, not hot just luke warm or their is a risk of cracking the screen always used that to de ice and never had a problem!

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Bromptonaut

Brush off or use a squeegee wiper (i.e. with a wiper blade type of function).

Follow up with warm (but not hot) water.

Another option if you've got the means to plug it in safely is to put a small fan heater in the car and leave for 15 minutes.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Steveieb

My main problem has been clearing the inside screen following the application of a well known Anti Mist product.

It did make the screen mist free but then I noticed a greasy coating which was difficult to see through and projected all colours of the rainbow when the sun shone on it.

So it’s taken me two goes with Windolene to remove it.

Any one else any experience of this ?

My main problem has been clearing the inside screen following the application of a well known Anti Mist product.

It did make the screen mist free but then I noticed a greasy coating which was difficult to see through and projected all colours of the rainbow when the sun shone on it.

So it’s taken me two goes with Windolene to remove it.

Any one else any experience of this ?

I bought proper glaziers window cleaner, £5 spray cans, cleared it in two goes imo cannot beat the stuff, far better than Windowlene or any other glass cleaner!

Thanks Bolt.

Cant understand how they can get away with it.

Can you get the glaziers cleaner on eBay ?

Cheers

Thanks Bolt.

Cant understand how they can get away with it.

Can you get the glaziers cleaner on eBay ?

Cheers

Gone up since I bought it, though I bought direct from a glaziers shop that made double glazed windows,

Professional Glass & Mirror Cleaner Sparkling Finish All Mirrors Windows 660ml | eBay

Though possibly cheaper elsewhere?

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Andrew-T

Brush off or use a squeegee wiper (i.e. with a wiper blade type of function).

Follow up with warm (but not hot) water.

If the ice/snow is frozen or too hard for the wipers, a kettle of warm (body temp) water is the first option. My wipers demount easily so I use the larger one as a squeegee to clear the whole screen. If the screen is well below 0°C it will probably ice over again, so repeat if necessary.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - badbusdriver

Surely the obvious solution is to cover the windscreen?. Either buy a purpose made cover which can cover the mirrors and front door windows, or something a bit more rudimentary like a bit of carpet.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Engineer Andy

Surely the obvious solution is to cover the windscreen?. Either buy a purpose made cover which can cover the mirrors and front door windows, or something a bit more rudimentary like a bit of carpet.

Indeed - I have cheapo cover (that actually only covers 2/3rds of the front windscreen) I got as a 'tree present' (similar to a Christmas cracker prize) some years ago that does the job quite well. Probably cost £1 from the local discount store.

Other than that, I use, when needed, a bit of warm (<40degC) water here and there to speed the defrosting process up a bit.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Heidfirst

Indeed - I have cheapo cover (that actually only covers 2/3rds of the front windscreen) I got as a 'tree present' (similar to a Christmas cracker prize) some years ago that does the job quite well. Probably cost £1 from the local discount store.

I have a thermal one that cost £4.99 at either Aldi or Lidl. Elastic loops fasten over the door mirrors plus it has flaps that you can put into the door shuts if you wish. Folds up into a plastic bag for storage.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Metropolis.
You could alternatively fit a fuel burning heater, what car do you have? A lot of cars have them as optional extras but not impossible if they didnt.

They are normally made by Webasto
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - nick62

Or you could hire a skip (or two) and use the garage.

A fan heater placed safely inside tge car does the trick

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Alby Back
I haven't smoked for years, but that used to be a bit of a ritual. Mug of black coffee, spark up a stogie, put the engine on and let the car defrost itself while you lean on the wall drinking the coffee and smoking the cig. Multitasking y'see. Men can do it after all.

;-)
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - kiss (keep it simple)

Lots of tepid water. The second jug full can be a bit warmer and will help to demist the inside quicker. I never use de-icers because they actually make the windscreen colder, thus harder to demist. Always squeegee off the water asap. I am amazed how long some people spend scraping away.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - RT
You could alternatively fit a fuel burning heater, what car do you have? A lot of cars have them as optional extras but not impossible if they didnt. They are normally made by Webasto

AFAIK Eberspacher is much bigger than Webasto as far as fuel-powered heaters are concerned - they are very effective, I specified an Eberspacher as an option on my VW Touareg, comes with remote control so I can warm the car's cabin up without leaving the house.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - concrete

A problem as old as windscreens. In days of yore before all the aids for de icing etc were readily available my old method worked a treat. I had a company van and needed to be away sharp in the morning to pick up colleagues. In order to facilitate a clear screen and quick start on a winter morning the following never failed:

When parking for the night, leave the engine to idle and pull the choke out, the engine will splutter, then turn it off and leave the choke out. Then operate the wipers and stop them halfway up the screen. Place newspaper on the screen held in place by the wipers. Next morning, don't touch the accelerator, just start the engine and it fires first time, let it idle and push choke in. Remove paper from screen and the screen will be clear and ice free. The engine will have warmed by then and a bit of warm air helps things along. Never failed.

Apart from the choke bit, the paper trick still works a treat.

My car has a heated front screen and it is marvellous. Modern gadgets are useful.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - galileo

We suffer from a brain dead neighbour who acquired a Subaru WRX with a loud exhaust (the sort that looks as if a large baked bean tin was stuck on the tailpipe.

Every time he starts it up, he leaves it on fast (loud) idle and goes indoors for times varying from 10 to 15 minutes, then emerges and drives away.

Notes were put through his door pointing out that:

1) this is environmentally bad, unnecessary noise and pollution

2) It is very inconsiderate to his neighbours

3) It doesn't do his engine any good, as it would warm up quicker if being driven

4) He could get up later and still arrive on time if he didn't waste 10 to 15 minutes warming it up.

5) Some passing tearaway could twock it and his insurance won't pay out

None of you will be surprised to hear that his behaviour has not changed. (In the good old USA someone might snap and put a bullet or two into his Scooby to shut it up.)

When I lived in the countryside with electric gates I used to turn on my td5 in my pyjamas and then go for a shower, have breakfast and then drive to work warm and toasty. 4 glow plugs on a 5 cylinder was not very clever, but saying that, it never ever failed to cold start, even at -20C it was instant. If a neighbour (not many) had told me about the environment i would have told them I am working to give us all a warmer climate where such measures would not be necessary, but until we get there I would carry on. Whether that was beneficial for the engine vs driving it gently while cold I do not know but it is still going strong at over 150,000 miles never opened up, it felt very agricultural when it was cold.
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - galileo
When I lived in the countryside with electric gates I used to turn on my td5 in my pyjamas and then go for a shower, have breakfast and then drive to work warm and toasty. 4 glow plugs on a 5 cylinder was not very clever, but saying that, it never ever failed to cold start, even at -20C it was instant. If a neighbour (not many) had told me about the environment i would have told them I am working to give us all a warmer climate where such measures would not be necessary, but until we get there I would carry on. Whether that was beneficial for the engine vs driving it gently while cold I do not know but it is still going strong at over 150,000 miles never opened up, it felt very agricultural when it was cold.

Fair enough if you had no neighbours within earshot, when I lived in the country I was used to cockerels, cows, tractors and shotgun bangs, my objection to this d***head is that he is in a densely populated previously quiet residential estate.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Smileyman

Surprised the car hasn't been stolen, leaving engine running whilst not in car is an open invitation for theft

Cardboard works well which if I have one split open and cover the screen, only time I got caught out was when it rained before the frost and snow and the whole lot was solid ice.

thats where the Luke warm water came in handy it didn`t take long to defrost the lot, modern papers are too thin now to work as they used to.

What a shame page 3 is not what it used to be. Ideal for such purposes and definitely would have improved warm up times, although best to have it face inwards.

Edited by Metropolis. on 22/01/2021 at 16:38

Choke, Concrete ? The car will do that for you these days :-) But I wouldn't use paper, a polythene sheet is more durable and won't soak up water. If paper freezes to the screen, that can be messy.

Depends on the brand of vehicle as to who is OEM, MG, Rover and Land Rover (still today) use Webasto units, I would have no preference so long as it is not an unknown brand knockoff.
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - John F

About the only useful thing about the automatic wiper function is that the wipers won't work until the sensor senses rain. After freeing up the wipers and switching them onto auto, pour tepid water across the top of the windscreen. Only then will the wipers start up, smoothly dispelling the slush rather than scraping across a frosty screen.

But prevention is best. I salvaged a large piece of packing cardboard and cut out a windscreen -sized shape. Made two holes at the sides strengthened with duck tape (otherwise it'll rip when damp) and with a string loop on one side and Royal Mail rubber bands on the other, looped it round the wing mirrors.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Brit_in_Germany

Another plus point for the BEV - assuming it's plugged in, just set it to warm the car up.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Manatee

I wonder if you got dirt under the scraper?

I went out this morning, gloved, started engine and pressed the clear screen symbol (it's not electrically heated), switched on mirror and rear window heaters, and started scraping. By the time I had scraped the all the windows there was enough warm air coming out to melt the residue and keep the inside clear and I set off.

Having a decent plastic scraper helps. Mine's getting a bit blunt.

De-icer melts the ice, then evaporates, chills the screen and if it's humid it condenses more wet and refreezes!

Can't be bothered messing with kettles.

Why would you need a kettle, I run the hot tap from cold, by the time its warm a 2 ltr bottle is full and just the right temp, I forgot to mention I use a 2 ltr bottle to defrost the screen, just enough in bottle to clear the glass

who needs a scraper, I`ve not used one for years...I use an old dvd disc for other windows they last for ages

I wonder if you got dirt under the scraper?

I went out this morning, gloved, started engine and pressed the clear screen symbol (it's not electrically heated), switched on mirror and rear window heaters, and started scraping. By the time I had scraped the all the windows there was enough warm air coming out to melt the residue and keep the inside clear and I set off.

Having a decent plastic scraper helps. Mine's getting a bit blunt.

De-icer melts the ice, then evaporates, chills the screen and if it's humid it condenses more wet and refreezes!

Many modern cars have a PTC heater built into the system - Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heaters are self-regulating heaters that run open-loop without any external diagnostic controls. While traditional fixed-resistance heaters employ wires and coils to generate heat, PTC heaters use conductive inks printed on thin, flexible polymer-based substrates.

Very interesting, had never heard of those before. A google search suggested it is mainly used in EV and PHEV, is that correct?

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Halmerend
Thanks guys some good stuff to chew on there.
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - veloceman
This one I read about the other day.
Pour warm water in to a large polythene bag, one without holes! Then drag this over the windscreen.
Haven’t tried it as I use a garage myself but seems a reasonable idea.

Very interesting, had never heard of those before. A google search suggested it is mainly used in EV and PHEV, is that correct?

Not just EV/PHEV - the mk2 Hyundai Santa Fe (2006-2012) and Land Rover Freelander/Discovery Sport has it

Well today I learnt something new!

Kettle, jug, bottle, teapot - even a samovar if you like. Anything capable of pouring warm water fairly accurately.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - _

Kettle, jug, bottle, teapot - even a samovar if you like. Anything capable of pouring warm water fairly accurately.

I have a plastic watering can that holds enough to get the frost/ice off. left empty outside the door, filled with cool water when i want to use it and start engine then.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/01/2021 at 11:01

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Smileyman

For snow I have a long handled rubber brush, for ice I use a rubber scraper. Good for all windows mirror and (snow) lights. Only time I scratched windows was removing morning dew after 2010 Icelandic volcanic eruption.

I hate using the deicer sprays as the insides tend to mist up, devil of a job to clear.

Edited by Smileyman on 23/01/2021 at 09:11

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Alby Back
One can of course always ask the butler to instruct one of the footmen to attend to it, and make a mental note to scold the chauffeur for not garaging the car the night before...
;-)
Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - skidpan

Why not use the garage, works for us and always has. At the previous house we also had a carport and we never had iced glass under that.

At work it was start engine and then start scraping. Never had a scratched screen. The scraper I used had a rubber side and a hard plastic side. Rarely needed to use the hard side.

Skoda place a scraper under the fuel flap, never used one one either car in almost 4 years.

Why not use the garage,

For the usual reason that it has probably been turned into a junk-room or a sauna or a granny flat. Not many of today's owners keep a car INDOORS. We do, but it's the elderly car that needs a bit of cosseting, not the middle-aged one, that occupies it.

People should be very careful in their mentioning of kettles, the hot tap should be enough to be honest and even then you are pouring alot of excess water everywhere that is going to trickle down, freeze and expand in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Engine on, brush the snow with a brush, scrape the ice with a scraper and be on your way.

People should be very careful in their mentioning of kettles, the hot tap should be enough to be honest and even then you are pouring alot of excess water everywhere that is going to trickle down, freeze and expand in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Engine on, brush the snow with a brush, scrape the ice with a scraper and be on your way.

Most posters including me have stressed the word 'warm' water. We had a few mm of snow overnight, but it was too wet for brushing. No ice to scrape either, so no kettle. The demounted wiper blade shifted it all and cleaned the screen too.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - blindspot

when needed i use a wheat bag. heated in microwave. . placed on dash board . assess the situation , and go in back for breakfast. .

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - FoxyJukebox

All these ideas are sensible--but just saw a car DRIVE slowly past my house with all the back and side windows iced/snowed up--the front windscreen wipers working overtime over a 70% iced front screen with driver leaning forward to see through. Crazy.

Any - Clearing snow and ice from screen - Electric Leaper
I’ve got a 2019 Jag XF that has a remote start feature from the app, which will remotely start the car and will heat it to the desired temperature. The car key remains in the Faraday pouch, the doors remain locked and the gear selector that rises stays down during remote start.

After 10-15 mins the ice has defrosted and the car is nice and warm. Obviously the negative is the environmental impact of a car idling.