What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Trilogy.

www.ft.com/content/0d11705e-8d00-4707-80b8-a667a0a...3

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Bromptonaut

www.ft.com/content/0d11705e-8d00-4707-80b8-a667a0a...3

As it's paywalled I've no idea what's being said.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Metropolis.

I think this topic was also covered by autocar, although I am guessing as I also cant see the FT article. Sorry for the outside link Avant, if this site was covering the issue I would post one to the HJ one instead...

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/stellanti...y

It's in the heading but also in the text he calls the 2030 ban "brutal" and I agree. I wonder if Boris is actually into this so-called green eco-charade, or if it is his way of getting out the dog house each time he puts a foot wrong with 'er indoors. I'll not be voting for him or the party again till the green agenda gets scrapped, so probably never.

Hopefully the autocar story is on the same topic as Finantial Times?

Edited by Metropolis. on 19/01/2021 at 22:06

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Chris M

Or from Aunty:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55709115

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - focussed

From that Autocar article.

“If a government creates a situation that destroys the business model, by saying ‘we’re going to ban the sale of that type of car’, we’re going to stop investing,” said [Carlos] Tavares"

That is a crystal clear warning to the uk government that "green" virtue signalling policies have consequences.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - alan1302

“If a government creates a situation that destroys the business model, by saying ‘we’re going to ban the sale of that type of car’, we’re going to stop investing,” said [Carlos] Tavares"

That is a crystal clear warning to the uk government that "green" virtue signalling policies have consequences.

Or can we see it as a way to get some cash from the government to invest in the plant so they don't have to put hands in their own pockets?

All manufactuerers are going down the electrci route now and there will be less and less need for fcatories building ICE's so there is a lot of investment needed and I am sure theyw ill be very happy to push governments to pay up/do some deals rather than having to invest all the money themselves.

Also now they have merges with Fiat/Chrysler there will be some places they won't need and will be closed so if they have a friendly government then they are more likley to stay there.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - RT

Or can we see it as a way to get some cash from the government to invest in the plant so they don't have to put hands in their own pockets?

All manufactuerers are going down the electrci route now and there will be less and less need for fcatories building ICE's so there is a lot of investment needed and I am sure theyw ill be very happy to push governments to pay up/do some deals rather than having to invest all the money themselves.

Also now they have merges with Fiat/Chrysler there will be some places they won't need and will be closed so if they have a friendly government then they are more likley to stay there.

AFAIK, they don't build engines anymore at Vauxhall Ellesmere Port so whatever they build/sell will need powertrains importing from elsewhere.

This outburst is nothing more than an attempt to hold the UK government to ransom for a a subsidy - no doubt the French, German and Italian governments will roll over and increase their subsidy, despite being illegal under Single Market rules

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - focussed

Carlos Tavares is not in the habit of "outbursts".

He is a car enthusiast through and through, he is successful and knows what he is talking about, so I see this statement of his as an ice-cold warning rather than an outstretched hand containing a begging bowl.

Good on him - I'm glad somebody of his calibre has come out with it - it needed saying.

I await the UK government's reply if any, with interest.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Avant

Thanks for the information. There's no problem with external links if something isn't covered on this site.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - edlithgow

Thanks for the information. There's no problem with external links if something isn't covered on this site.

Is there a problem with external links if something is covered on this site?

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Gibbo_Wirral

126 councils have no plans to fit any EV chargers:

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9159521/C...l

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - daveyjp

I am lead to believe that from initial design to manufacture of a new model of an ICE car typically takes 5-8 years.

The EV cars which need to be produced in 2030 are being designed now. That design also needs to include the significant upgrades which will be required to manufacturing plants and the supply chain links which will be required.

Ellesmere Port will have to offer something very significant if it is to feature in the new production lines, this will need Government sell at a very high level.

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - Terry W

126 sounds like a large number which may seriously compromise the roll out of EVs.

Google: "how many councils there are in the UK":

There are around 11,930 local councils in the UK, including town, parish, community, neighbourhood and village councils.

Is one to deduce the 99% of councils are planning to install chargers.

Fairly typical media attempt to make a story out of nothing???

Boss of merged Fiat Peugeot warns on UK investment - daveyK_UK
Both Ellesmere Port & Luton are 2 of the most productive plants in the PSA/Fiat group, but that will count for nothing if other nation subsidise their plants to keep the next generation of electric vehicles being built.

With PSA now having access to the Fiat Tofus Turkish plant, all the PSA plants will be under threat as Tofus has proven to build high quality with low overheads. furthermore, Turkey has the local part supplier network with the likes of Ford, Honda, etc building in Turkey.
Turkey also benefits from a favourable EU trade agreement.

The UK government either pays big subsidies to keep Ellesmere Port & Luton open for the next 7-10 years or let’s market forces and other governments willingness to subsidise lead to their closure.

The Astra is a decent car but is becoming outdated in a segment with high competition, Ellesmere Port needs investment and a new product (or two) or it will be gone.