What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - Metropolis.
See for yourself, Americans do seem to have different experiences than we do with brands like Honda, click on one in the list and you will see a breakdown of the complaints

www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/

Edited by Metropolis. on 08/01/2021 at 21:08

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - Avant

The word 'algorithm' in line 1 is enough to show that this is on the meaningless side of untrustworthy.

The Hondas date from 2001, 2003 and 2004 whereas some of the others are over 10 years younger.

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - alan1302

The worst car is 18 years old! LOL Who would have thought they may not be as reliable.

Yes, that's a fair point. I would llike to see a more thorough explanation of the algorithm but I would not necessarily call it meaningless or untrustworthy. The age range of the cars is a little odd though I will admit. But it is also crowd-sourced, a bit like this website used to before the successors to the teppichresser's brainchild took over...

Having watched Scotty Kilmer for a while I note he also regularly warns about Honda Automatic transmissions, maybe it's a consequence of Honda using mainly proprietory transmissions rather than outsourcing it to ZF or Aisin. Don't they use gears on a parrallel axis rather than planetary because they don't want to infringe on anyone elses patents? I love that sort of b***** mindedness to go their own way.

Scotty does also not rate Hyundai/Kia very highly either, although personally I would be very interested in a Hyundai Equus/Genesis G90, apparently they have a very soft ride almost emulating American 'sedans' of old and I bet the reliability is still better than many of the German luxury brands, the American manufactured ones anyway.

pd - Yes, the USA accord is different, but weirdly, so is the one you see in Asian countries like Taiwan and Thailand, not sure about now but they were much more akin to a Camry and sold in RHD.

For rentals I guess the Koreans have taken over from the domestic brands on that front, I used to love going to USA and seeing what hire car I got, invariably a very comfortable GM product like a Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Impala, Trailblazer... nobody builds cars better suited to the environment in my opinion. Shame I never got to rent a Crown Victoria or any of its plusher siblings.

I think that 2.4 was sold in the UK Sonata when it was called the Sonata, along with the 3.3 v6. I think both have their roots in Mitsubishi engine blocks.

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - RT

For rentals I guess the Koreans have taken over from the domestic brands on that front, I used to love going to USA and seeing what hire car I got, invariably a very comfortable GM product like a Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Impala, Trailblazer... nobody builds cars better suited to the environment in my opinion. Shame I never got to rent a Crown Victoria or any of its plusher siblings.

I think that 2.4 was sold in the UK Sonata when it was called the Sonata, along with the 3.3 v6. I think both have their roots in Mitsubishi engine blocks.

The Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) was created as a joint venture between Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai with Hyundai as the lead design - it resulted in the Mitsubishi 4B1 engine, the Chrysler World engine and the Hyundai Theta engine. Production began in 2005 with an annual capacity of 2 million engines.

Edited by RT on 09/01/2021 at 14:00

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - SLO76
Clearly funded by GM who don’t feature despite poor quality product development governed by bean counters over engineers. I doubt highly that an old Honda Accord or Civic would be less reliable than an old GM equivalent. As always US news sources always have a backer and ulterior motive.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/01/2021 at 01:00

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - pd

Note the Accord from that era is not the same Accord as was sold in the UK at the same time. The main reason if you delve into the details it is high up the list is automatic transmission failure.

The Hyundai Sonata is the i40 here. They are basically hire car airport fodder along with the Kia Optima. Must admit the last time I had one in the USA (hired Kia Optima) the EML came on and it went into limp mode after 2 days so perhaps they do have issues.

If memory serves they use a 2.4 4-cylinder direct injection lump which I don't think they sell in Europe.

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - madf

That survey is written by people who give m****s a good name.

Not worth looking at.

Who is it written by? I am not connected, I only saw a link to it on the 'everyman driver' youtube channel.

I can't see what you have written as it is censored as 'm****s' - curious who you are comparing them with.

Good spot. That doesn't mean those cars listed were not known for the problems listed though. American sources do indeed need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but not disregarded entirely. Take the 2002-2005 explorer, listed for transmission problems mainly. When i was looking at a Jap import discovery, I could have got a Jap import Ford Explorer with 4.6 v8 and most importantly, right hand drive! But reading about the problems, especially the gearbox which is very difficult to change the fluid on, has early failures and was (very strangely imo) made in France, I was put off. If I am going to have an unreliable vehicle I might as well have one where I won't be waiting on parts arriving from the USA all the time, despite places like RockAuto etc. being quite accessible the shipping might be an issue. I will admit to sometimes wishing I had gone for one, they look quite nice imo. and American cars always have better Air Conditioning! Even with the factory fitted rear ac my discovery still is not fridge-like in summer. They were a fair bit cheaper when I was looking than this one is, but it just looks so 'right' to my eyes. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009073407047?o...1

I would add to my other reply, GM quality has not always been bad. They were pretty dependable upto the 2007/8 crisis and then quality has been subpar ever since. Bean counters reallly got in on the act then!

I would add to my other reply, GM quality has not always been bad. They were pretty dependable upto the 2007/8 crisis and then quality has been subpar ever since. Bean counters reallly got in on the act then!

GM has never recovered from bankruptcy, despite the huge write-offs - without the big profits from Holden and Opel/Vauxhall in the early '00s they'd have gone under earlier, a point not lost on enthusiasts in Australia and Europe.

I couldn't believe it when Holden/GM tried selling the Australians a commodore not assembled in Australia, did they really think that would work? A sad end to an era. Ending tarriffs does have consequences! No doubt Australians have access to more efficient products from abroad now, but still sad to see a marque dissapear.

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - John F

They certainly had it in for Ford - seven out of the twenty. Four of those were thirteen or more years old. Ridiculous.

I couldn't believe it when Holden/GM tried selling the Australians a commodore not assembled in Australia, did they really think that would work? A sad end to an era. Ending tarriffs does have consequences! No doubt Australians have access to more efficient products from abroad now, but still sad to see a marque dissapear.

Worse than not being built in Australia, it was just a rebadged Vauxhall Insignia - GM has now retrenched to North America and China, it's presence anywhere else in the world has almost gone.

The Top 20 Worst Vehicles - Unexpected! - Engineer Andy
Clearly funded by GM who don’t feature despite poor quality product development governed by bean counters over engineers. I doubt highly that an old Honda Accord or Civic would be less reliable than an old GM equivalent. As always US news sources always have a backer and ulterior motive.

If I recall correctly, Aussie motoring pundit John Cadogan called this out in a video of his about 1-2 years ago. Unfortunately I can't remember specifically which video it was (despite doing a search) - it may well have been a segment of a video rather than specifically about this GM 'spin' exercise.