What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - bluenun

My car had an M.O.T yesterday and there is an advisory for 2 rear tyres.

I usually drive about 3000 miles per annum, 2500 last year and no motorway driving.

Is there a specific type of tyre I should get fitted?

I have always gone for mid priced tyres but just wondered if I should take more care in my choice.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - skidpan

I have always gone for mid priced tyres but just wondered if I should take more care in my choice.

Mid priced tyres are fine. The Uniroyal rain sport would be my choice from experience. It quiet, brilliant in the wet and has softish sidewalls for a comfy ride. Only downside is the fact it wears a bit quicker than some but with only 2.5 to 3 thousand miles a year that should not be an issue. If they are the usual 205 55 16 size expect to pay about £60 fitted.

Another option would be a mid range all season tyre. We have had Kleber Quadraxer on 3 cars and found them to be great all year round, but it seems they no longer make them in 205 55 16. As an example Uniroyal do an All Season Expert for about £10 more a corner than the summer tyre so not a huge amount extra.

Issue for you is mixing types of tyre. Your insurers will not allow you to run summer and all season on the same car since in conditions such as snow they will upset the handing. If you did they would probably find a way to reject your claim.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - Andrew-T

Depends what the advisory is for - if it's only warning you that the tyres may be near the wear limit before the next MoT, do nothing unless you want to spend money for peace of mind. If the warning is for sidewall cracking or old age, follow Skidpan's advice and shop around.

Rear tyres take a while to wear down, so at 3K miles a year I wouldn't worry.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - bluenun

Thank-you both for the replies.

On the M.O.T certificate is says

Monitor and repair if necessary.

Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing nearside rear [5.2.3 (d)(ii)]

Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing offside rear [5.2.3 (d)(ii)]

I had them fitted on January 2015.

Edited by bluenun on 06/01/2021 at 21:00

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - Andrew-T

Monitor and repair if necessary.

I had them fitted on January 2015.

The first sentence says it all - you can't 'repair' sidewall cracking, so make sure they are kept up to pressure and monitor them, look for the depth indicators. However they are now well past 6 years old, which some say means time to change anyway. IMHO that will depend on how much heat and sunlight they have been subjected to during their life. Ask a friend with no vested interest in selling you some tyres what he would do.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003. - New Tyres. - skidpan

Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing nearside rear [5.2.3 (d)(ii)]

Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing offside rear [5.2.3 (d)(ii)]

I had exactly the same advisories' on the 3/4 year old Michelin tyres on a BMW a few years ago except mine was all 4 which were the factory fit originals.

The cracks were barely visible, you really had to look hard to see them. A couple of months later I asked our local MOT man (the one I use for the Caterham) for his opinion and he said that pass then with just an advisory although he commented that they were so minor he may well have ignored them.

Move onto the autumn and it was approaching the time I fitted the winter wheels. I had heard that Michelin had a 6 year warranty on tyres from the date of manufacture (the code is on the sidewall) so I contacted them. The chap suggested that they needed sending back to them for inspection which for me was easy since all I needed to do was swap wheels and ask the fitter up our street to remove the tyres for some beer tokens. Once off the cracks seemed much worse, you could see the reinforcement when you flexed the now deflated sidewalls and the fitter said they needed throwing.

I then had to take them to ATS tyres who would forward them FOC to Michelin. Waited a few weeks and got a letter confirming they were scrap and added a cheque for the value of the remaining tread would follow. A week later it arrived, just under £200. Come spring I had a set of Khumo's fitted by the chap up the street for just over £200.

At the next MOT the BMW garage put an advisory on the papers that the tyres were not BMW OEM equipment despite being the correct size, speed and load rating. I contacted Khumho who said it was not an issue and to be sure I contacted my insurers who confirmed if they were the OEM size, speed and load rating there was certainly no issue.

The next MOT (the last whilst I had the car) was done at our local BMW indy (owner was ex main BMW dealership mechanic with over 30 years experience) and there were no advisories.

Doubt the OP will be able to claim from the manufacturer (worth a look at the date to check) but maybe worth deflating one with the car jacked up to see what its like with a flexible sidewall.