2002 Renault Trafic SWB Van - Trafic 1.9dci - Won't Go Above 50-60mph - TFryd14

Hey there,

I'm having some problems with my van and hoping someone here can help me out.

I was going towards a national speed limit road and started accelerating to get up to 60mph when at around 45-50mph my acceleration just felt like it gave way. All of a sudden I couldn't get above 20-25mph and had to pull over. I managed to crawl it to my local mechanic where he scanned it and a Turbo Pressure Sensor error came up. He replaced this (£££) and said it should be all good. I took it out again and everything felt normal, a little more powerful if nothing else, but again I went to get up to 60mph and it went again. He replaced the solenoid without charging me anything for the work and we thought problem solved. Yet, once again, the same problem kept happening! The strangest part is that when it happens, if i turn the ignition off and then back on again I can drive it normally (until around 50mph of course). Equally, there's no check engine light, no smoke from ignition and bar the acceleration problem everything else seems perfectly normal, although I have noticed my coolant and engine oil levels are low (have been told this wouldn't be the problem though?). I see some threads about cleaning the MAF and EGR or even putting some diesel engine cleaner in but I am not too experienced at mechanics (pouring the diesel engine cleaner in isn't what I am referring to here of course), at this point I will happily try and do this myself but I was hoping to get some advice before I go ahead and fiddle around with things. If anyone has any idea's I would be very grateful, I fully trust the mechanic was doing what we thought would fix it but it feels as though I have thrown money at the problem and the problem is still there (I know, rookie). Feel free to ask any further questions if needs be.

2002 Renault Trafic SWB Van - Trafic 1.9dci - Won't Go Above 50-60mph - S40 Man

If the code reader didn't give a code that resulted in a fix I might suspect egr valve s these aren't always funny electrical on this age of car (more mechanical) but if sufficiently blocked can cause problems. A can of egr cleaner spray might be good investment, even to exclude this possibility. Depending where it is on your van removing it and physical clean might be better. On my Mondeo it was a pig so I just sprayed the goo in. Warm the engine and then spray into the air intake. The engine revs up as the engine burns the hydrocarbon in the aerosol. Will cost about £10.

2002 Renault Trafic SWB Van - Trafic 1.9dci - Won't Go Above 50-60mph - Railroad.

I used to attend a lot of these at the roadside with this problem. The EGR valve often falls to bits inside. Remove it by taking out the three screws, then extract the broken parts if the valve isn't complete in one piece. Use a light and a magnet if necessary. If it is complete check to make sure the valve is not stuck open, which they often are. Also give it a good clean while it's out making sure it moves freely back and forth. Then re-fit the EGR valve. If the inside parts are broken then for a temporary repair rotate the EGR valve body 180° and put it back. If I recall correctly only two of the three screws will line up, and you will not be able to reconnect the plug. But don't worry about that for now. Then start the engine and see if the performance is back to normal.

2002 Renault Trafic SWB Van - Trafic 1.9dci - Won't Go Above 50-60mph - egrehte

If the code reader didn't give a code that resulted in a fix I might suspect egr valve s these aren't always funny electrical on this age of car (more mechanical) but if sufficiently blocked can cause problems.