What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - Jim Dennison

For some weird reason I inadvertently put the automatic gearbox ('PowerShift') selector from 'D' (Drive) to 'P' (Park) while moving at about 25mph.

The car did not come to a sudden stop or make any nasty graunching noises.

I gently applied the footbrake and there were a few faint grumbling/clicking noises for 1-2s untiI came to my senses and threw the stick back to D(rive) again.

It seems OK afterwards no weird noises or behaviours.

It's just worrying me that I may have damaged the transmission unknowingly.

I'm hoping the car has some sort of safe guard built in that stops the transmission from being damaged. Its a 2014 model. The manual doesn't say much apart from issuing a warning not to do it. From what I can make out 'Park' basically applies the clutch (disconnects engine from transmission) and applies a brake, under normal use?

Any experiences or knowledge that could put my mind at rest ? Thanks!

Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - elekie&a/c doctor
Although technically your powershift gear box is not actually an automatic box, the same principles apply . There are safety devices fitted to prevent the box engaging park with the car in motion.
Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - jc2

I remember putting a T/C auto into reverse whilst doing about 25 mph-I meant to put into N but had my thumb on the button.It merely locked the back wheels and the car slid to a halt.No damage whatsoever.

Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - bathtub tom

I know someone who put a T/C into park at speed. Completely wrecked the 'box.

Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - Jim Dennison

Thanks folks. I'm feeling a bit better about it now. I've driven the car a few times today since my mishap and it seems fine and same as before. I think I was either lucky in general or lucky that modern auto-boxes have some kinds of safeguards built in !

Ford Galaxy - Put my automatic gearbox to 'Park' while moving - Wally11

HiJim..

I know this is an old thread, but the reason I'm here is because earlier today for some bizarre reason I did exactly the same thing. Speed would have been about the same at 25mph, I think I forgot I was driving an automatic and proceeded to change up! I drive plenty of autos and manuals at work, so perhaps there lies the confusion with a bit of concentration going astray thrown into the mix also. Anyway, mine made a lot of noise, like trying to engage a gear without the clutch, but I pulled up sharply and it seems ok fingers crossed. What bothers me is that I was able to do it at all. I can go through the gears without having to press the small lever at the front of the stick. Surely the purpose of that lever is to prevent such a thing happening isn't it? Maybe I need to get it looked at. How was yours afterwards, did you have any further issues?