What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - TraceyJC

Hi need help choosing my next car, I have a Nissan Qashqai Acenta 1.6 mileage not great average 35mpg. Very comfortable drive but my partner wants to start driving again so we would like a much smaller high position driving car or SUV . Smaller in length to Qashqai. Car is 10 years old with high mileage so time to change. We have two small terriers and love driving to Lake District and Scotland but need good economy and reliability. Also we drive up pot hole farm tracks to do dog walks but don’t want a 4x4 . Nissan has been marvellous on that front but we need to go smaller but still want comfortable drive in long journeys . Any ideas ? Thank you

Edited by TraceyJC on 14/12/2020 at 06:51

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - Avant

It's always difficult to give advice when people don't tell us what their budget is, or whether they want to buy new or secondhand.

But you could think about the Suzuki Ignis which meets all the criteria you've mentioned.

Edited by Avant on 14/12/2020 at 10:01

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - skidpan

But you could think about the Suzuki Ignis which meets all the criteria you've mentioned.

Really. The OP has a Qashqai which is well know as being a refined and comfortable car. Every test I have seen has never suggested that the Ignis is either of those and since the OP likes touring I would expect it to become a very tiresome purchase.

It's always difficult to give advice when people don't tell us what their budget is, or whether they want to buy new or secondhand.

Without that info its impossible to make any really meaningful suggestions. All you have said is a smaller, high car that is comfortable on long journeys.

Edited by skidpan on 14/12/2020 at 10:53

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - TraceyJC

Hi

Thanks for replying

I will be buying second hand with a budget of about £8,000 sorry i should have mentioned you're right it does help :-)

What does OP mean please ?

T

Edited by TraceyJC on 14/12/2020 at 16:21

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - RT

OP is Original Poster or original Post.

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - badbusdriver

Regardless of budget, this is a difficult set of criteria to meet. Much smaller than a Qashqai (itself not that big), tall, fuel efficient and comfortable.

When you say much smaller than a Qashqai, that makes me think smaller than a Fiesta or Polo, i.e the 'city car' class. In which case, the Ignis is the obvious choice. But, isn't easy to make a very small tall car that comfortable due to the physics involved with its proportions. You can make the suspension soft, but this can result in lots of body roll because of the higher centre of gravity. Or, you can make the suspension stiffer to counteract the body roll, but this will result in a harsh jiggly ride.

We actually have an Ignis, so while I can't compare it to your Qashqai, I can give you an idea what it is like. Seat comfort is pretty good, although due to covid I have not taken it on along journey. Driving position is good, better than the (2017) Jazz we had before it. Interior space is phenomenal for such a small car, four 6' plus adults could fit in quite easily in terms of leg space. It does have a narrow cabin though, something you will be very aware of coming from a Qashqai. On the mid and high spec car, you get 4 seats (*), with two individual rears which slide back and forth about 6", but even with them right back, the boot is a decent enough size for a car that small and certainly big enough for a couple of small terriers, Ride comfort?, I guess a degree of this will come down to expectations and my being being aware of the limitations caused by its proportions, but I think it is perfectly acceptable. As for refinement, again with expectations inline with the type and shape of car, I'm very impressed. At the legal speed limit, while the engine is turning quite high rpm, it is smooth enough not to be intrusive (I have had the car up to 80mph where it was quite happy and not too loud). Performance is surprisingly brisk, it may only have an 89bhp 1.2 but it is a very light car!. £8k is enough to get into a 2018 SZ-T (the top spec) with low miles, like this,

But you'd really need a god long test drive to find out if it is going to be acceptable.

*The basic SZ3 comes with a (fixed) rear bench seat and three seatbelts, but due to the narrowness of the cabin, there is no way you could fit three adults in there unless very slim!..

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - Ethan Edwards

I replaced my Quashqai with a Suzuki Vitara. Not sure you will be able to get a 4wd 1.4 turbo within your budget but the 1.6 should be doable. Look for the 2015 onward 4th Gen. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Its about 10 inches shorter overall ( as per your request) I found it to be a decent drive. Other than that Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson etc. There's a lot of choices out there.

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - catsdad

Ethan’s suggestion are good but maybe too big? Another smaller one to consider is a Dacia Sandero Stepway. It wouldn’t be among my personal top choices but may meet your size and ground clearance requirements.

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - badbusdriver

I replaced my Quashqai with a Suzuki Vitara. Not sure you will be able to get a 4wd 1.4 turbo within your budget but the 1.6 should be doable.

The OP doesn't want 4x4.

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - Ethan Edwards

I replaced my Quashqai with a Suzuki Vitara. Not sure you will be able to get a 4wd 1.4 turbo within your budget but the 1.6 should be doable.

The OP doesn't want 4x4.

Even easier. Vitara 2wd versions are available and more budget friendly.

Nissan Qashqai - New car suggestions? Any mananufucturer considered - Penumbra

Hyundai IX20 or perhaps Vauxhall Mokka X