What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - KB.

I just checked my recent topic (Drivethedeal) and the replies were there - then they weren't.

At this moment there's one missing.

It definitely happened to someone else's posts the other day. too.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - mcb100
I’m glad it’s not just me.
Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - FP

A comment I made (and edited) yesterday was not there later on and then re-appeared at some point.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - badbusdriver

There have been a few times where I've noticed a new reply to a thread, so clicked on only to find it wasn't there. So I'm glad it isn't just me!.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Trilogy.

bbd, me too.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - RT

Me too -I thought I was going doo-lally and forgetting to press the "post message" button

And often the software indicates a new message in a thread but nothing new when you go to look.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Engineer Andy

Me too -I thought I was going doo-lally and forgetting to press the "post message" button

And often the software indicates a new message in a thread but nothing new when you go to look.

That issue has been ongoing for quite some time now - I regularly get the 'New' flag on General Discussion threads, only to find ther are no new replies. It could be that they all were spam posts that were deleted without the 'new post' software knowing, but it seems to happen so often that there must be more to it than just spam getting deleted.

There have been a few times where I've noticed a new reply to a thread, so clicked on only to find it wasn't there. So I'm glad it isn't just me!.

I had a post on a News item that uploaded fine, then was missing for a day or two, then re-appeared. Nothing controvercial about it to warrant any moderation either. Very strange.

I blame Gremlins. Either that or I've been constantly slipping through an invisible portal to another, but very similar dimension!! Maybe all the computers are also as fed up with 2020 as we are and just playing around for something to do?!

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Bromptonaut

Not just you.

I'm regularly clicking on threads where both the 'last post' time and the 'new' flag suggest unread posts only to find there are none.

The Drive the Deal thread is stated to have four replies but when I open it just two are visible.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/11/2020 at 16:30

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Andrew-T

I'm regularly clicking on threads where both the 'last post' time and the 'new' flag suggest unread posts only to find there are none.

I assumed that Avant might have been deleting spam contributions but that doesn't wipe off the 'latest entry' flag on the index page. But maybe that isn't the explanation ? Something has certainly been going on for several days now.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - John F

A few days ago I noticed one of mine hadn't appeared. I thought it might have been no-platformed as being too, er, controversial.

In which case I can cancel my appointment with nurse.

Thanks. I'm both grateful and pleased.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Avant

Someone asked about this a few days ago and I've asked Kalpesh to look into it.

There's no logic in it: it happens on some threads and not others. On this one the latest posts are Andrew's and KB's, a minute ago. They do seem to appear eventuially.

Anyone who makes a living with IT software has my admiration and sympathy. I loathe it.

Edited by Avant on 29/11/2020 at 16:40

Thanks, Avant. Like I say I'm just pleased to see others have noticed it.

And with regard to all things IT, your comments make feel even better now - even in my limited sphere computers are wonderful when they work, but they frighten the living daylights out of me when they don't. The presence of a local bloke who, for finacial recompense, comes round and sorts things out when they go wrong is a great comfort to me.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Melly Goldsman

Me too noted this. Posts gone missing on my thread.

Anyone who makes a living with IT software has my admiration and sympathy. I loathe it.

I did that for quite a while at a fairly mundane level, and I enjoyed the challenge. Luckily I knew when to stop running just to try and stay in the same place. I was born at least a generation early for that kind of game.

What I dislike on this site is the jumping effect of popups on the 'real stuff' that I am trying to get at. It's like swatting flies waiting for the picture to settle so I can click the right thing.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/11/2020 at 18:13

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Heidfirst

I made a reply this evening re. the extended battery warranty on the thread about a potential ~8 year old (Yaris) hybrid which I know appeared but doesn't appear to be there currently ... Hopefully, it will reappear.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - nick62

I've had the same issues.

I use Firefox as my default browser, but have Chrome as a backup when I have similar problems with other websites. It might just be me, but Chrome did seem less "buggy"?

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - FoxyJukebox

And --sort of the same IT oddity subject-is there no longer an Honest John IOS App?.....it's not a big issue since i can access through a bookmarked Safari search-but it's not as convenient as the app.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - mcb100

I use the iOS app. I'm not sure it's still available from the App Store, but It's still running on my phone.

The Breakdown Cover thread shows a reply today, but there's nothing readable less than two weeks old. Maybe the system is only revealing things after 24 hours 'maturing' ?

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Bromptonaut

The Breakdown Cover thread shows a reply today, but there's nothing readable less than two weeks old. Maybe the system is only revealing things after 24 hours 'maturing' ?

There are tow Breakdown threads at present. Both have what appear to be spam links from the same user.

Not any more!

But your typo is very apt.....

Two posts of mine have gone from the Technical > Ford Radio Codes thread. They were there a couple of hours ago.

The posts referred to above have now reappeared.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - sammy1

No you are not going mad. Items are now appearing by time on these inside threads but now not on the category page. eg would you have your car converted to ICE answer 20.31 but category page says latest post 17.52. But I don't think this was the case about 1 hour ago. Problems were happening the other way round category page up to date but sometimes no thread on inside. Bit of a pain at present.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - Sofa Spud

I made a post on that thread and it was non-controversial and it has gone.

Am I going mad, or are replies disappearing? - edlithgow

I made a post on that thread and it was non-controversial and it has gone.

The now you see it, now you dont WHACKAMOLE MODULE has caused me to end up with duplicate posts a couple of times.

Hope I don't contradict myself.

Again.

Not any more!

But your typo is very apt.....

(chuckle)

Problem still ongoing, been some 10 days since reported

Problem still ongoing, been some 10 days since reported

Indeed. So many threads indicate recent additions which simply don't display.

Still the problem persists.

Either the technical department (or the bloke who looks after this sort of thing when he gets a minute) can't or won't fix it - but it's been a while now.

Still the problem persists. Either the technical department (or the bloke who looks after this sort of thing when he gets a minute) can't or won't fix it - but it's been a while now.

Yet this entry is visible half an hour after posting. There's also a recent message from Avant in the 'sticky' threads at the top of the Technical page.

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/12/2020 at 16:57

I also had a comment on a news item that disappeared the day after it was posted.

Still the problem persists.

Either the technical department (or the bloke who looks after this sort of thing when he gets a minute) can't or won't fix it - but it's been a while now.

I still get the 'New' marker on categories or threads (especially the general Discussion area - with a time stamp) and yet when I open the link - nothing new. Very strange. No different even if I log out and refresh the page, which only works if an obvious spam thread has been locked out - you can read it, but not make any comments. Most of the time logging out and refreshing does nothing.

Great to see that the site appears to be operating as normal!

It's still faulty. The posts we'd like to disappear are not doing so.

Oh not again.

I haven't noticed any problem recently, but if you have, the person to contact is

kalpesh@honestjohn.co.uk

I'm sorry, but software issues aren't my problem.

I suspect Trilogy might have been speaking with tongue in cheek.

Indeed I was KB. Just noticed the posts we'd like to disappear today have done so........every cloud.

((Chuckle))

Apologies, Trilogy. Normally I'm one to see a joke even if it wasn't intended!