What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 1.8 Petrol. - Jetsam1

Looking for petrol cars like Astras and Focuses etc and there a a few of these around in budget. Look good, sliding doors, basic engine, extra 2 seats in the back in case of 3rd child ever.......

Seems to have been popular as there are no 2 liter engines around.So, 116 hp. Reminds me of my dad and a 1.6 liter Ford Sierra, packed full and towing a boat driving up to the Highlands of Scotland! I once had a 1.4 liter Astra as a hire car and felt it was ok.

Should be fine? I only see issues around tyre wear but only on sports models. Photos only tell part of the story but 80,000 to 100,000 miles still should see at least 3 years of use if it is 2007 or 2008?

I am an increasingly sedate driver..........

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 1.8 Petrol. - badbusdriver

Depends on how it has been driven/looked after. In theory, yes it will be reliable, but 12-13 years of neglectful ownership can turn the most reliable car into a dog. Plus, the simple fact that it is 12-13 years old means that things are going to start failing anyway.

As for the 116bhp, that is neither here nor there, what is going to make the difference is torque. How much it has, and at what revs, but as a sedate driver, I'm not sure why you'd even bring that up?. Can't see it being an issue unless you are either towing a caravan or are actually the opposite of a sedate driver!.

Going back to the car, check the MOT history as this will give an indication of how well the car has been looked after.

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/11/2020 at 07:21

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 1.8 Petrol. - bluetrain

Had a 1.8 petrol Mazda 5 for 11 years and it was a great car for us. Despite teaching the kids to be careful opening doors in a car park, they might forget or the wind catch the door - the sliding doors on the 5 were one less thing to worry about. Not the most refined at motorway speeds (although I think later versions had better soundproofing), but it was practical and I liked the sliding and reclining middle seats to adjust boot space or rear legroom. The final row seats were used occasionally over the years - bit tight, but they did the job and folded away neatly.
The only issues we had over 130,000miles were leaking front struts and worn front suspension bushes, but it was well looked after and regularly serviced. Other than that it didn’t put a foot wrong, although a neighbour’s son had a diesel one and had several engine problems before he got rid. For the relatively compact exterior size, the inside space was great and cleverly packaged. As badbusdriver said, a lot will depend on how it’s been looked after, but if you can find a good one it’s definitely worth considering.