What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - bluenun

Both brake lights work fine during the day when the lights are not in use but when the lights are on the left hand side brake light does not work.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - Ian D
Perhaps a bad earth connection near the rear light clusters or corrosion on the rear light cluster connectors

Edited by Ian D on 13/11/2020 at 19:30

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - elekie&a/c doctor
Replace the bulb first .
Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - bluenun

Thanks Ian D I will check for corrosion.

Elecki & AC Dr

If the brake light works without the lights on could it still be a fault with the bulb?

Edited by bluenun on 14/11/2020 at 12:46

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - bathtub tom

I'd look at the earth connection for the LH light. It would seem the connections good enough for one filament, but not both. Do any other lights come on (front sidelights?) when the brake pedal's pressed?

Thanks bathtub tom, I will have a look tomorrow.

When I took the rear light off, the black wire where it attached to the car body was rusty so I will undo the screw and get some sand paper to get rid of the rust on the screw, washer and car body where it attaches to.

I did not check the front lights when the brake pedal was pressed, I had a friend sit in the car while I looked at the back lights.

I took the rear light cluster off again, checked the bulb, both filaments look fine.

All the wiring is coated in a black material and looks fine, no moisture where it shouldn't be.

No corrosion on the bulb holders, all shiny metal.

The wires go through a large rubber grommet and into the boot area, I guess it will be earthed onto the bodywork somewhere in that area.

I will have to have a read up on how to remove the plastic side panel/boot parcel shelf holder thingy, I bet it is awkward.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - elekie&a/c doctor
Lot of effort here. Have you replaced the bulb ???
Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - sammy1

If you do not want to buy a bulb try a swop with the other side!

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - Railroad.

Are you definitely sure the correct bulb is fitted? I've seen plenty of cases where a 382 bulb has been fitted when it should be a 380.

Thank-you all for the replies.

I followed your suggestion and swapped the 2 rear light bulbs over and the left side works fine now and the problem is on the right side.

So I have ordered a couple of bulbs, one replacement and 1 spare.

I have my 2 new Lucas stop and tail light bulbs.

Fitted a new one to the left side but still the same problem, that same bulb works fine in the right hand side.

I tried all 3 other bulbs in the left side, brake light works when light are off, but does not work when the lights are on.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - bathtub tom

Did you ever clean up the rusty earth connection?

Try running a temporary wire from it to a known good earth.

May be a fault with the bulb holder . Seen this a few times . Easy swap with the other side .

Thank-you both for the relies.

Tom I was mistaken, it was not rust but dirt where the wires go through a rubber grommet, the wires look to be in good condition.

Elekie&a/c doctor, good idea but I don't think it is possible to take the bulb holders off without cutting wires.

I think you will find that the bulb holders have quick release connectors. Do you have standard rear lights or some aftermarket product ?

Thank-you for the help elekie&a/c doctor.

You are correct, they are quick release and I swapped the bulb holders over. Now the left brake light and rear light works perfectly, the right one does not.

I had a search for Mark 1 Focus rear light bulb holders. This looks like the one I need.

I'll email them them with the car details to make sure.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-MK1-Focus-MK...9

The replacement bulb holder has sorted out the problem.

Thank-you all for the help.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - One brake does not work when lights are on. - Steveieb

I’ve said it before but you are a genius elecki doc.

Please please continue to stay on The site . Your knowledge is simply amazing !