What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - BPL

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-8933601/Toy...0

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - mcb100

It's always great to see a behemoth of a company like Toyota headed by a car enthusiast - it produces cars like this.

Mr Toyoda visited my home town of Oldham a couple of years ago when he was in the UK (I think it was for Goodwood) as he wanted to see where the story of Toyota began.

If anyone's interested, Oldham was the world's largest producer of textile machinery via Platt Brothers, who had a massive factory in the town. Toyoda at that time were also a producer of textile machinery, and had developed a machine that would do allow one person to do the work of several. Platt's purchased the rights to the technology for £100,000 in 1929, and this capital injection allowed Toyoda (later Toyota) to develop their first car, the AA.

All that is left now is the somewhat rundown looking office building, and a couple of factory walls, and the Toyota story developed into the world's largest motor manufacturer.

Edited by mcb100 on 12/11/2020 at 14:26

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Metropolis.
With solid dependable models in virtually every category if you include Lexus, I think they deserve to let their hair down once in a while. No doubt even the performance model will be reliable. I did think it was a special navigation edition though, what is it with Toyota and their acronyms, TuRD anyone?
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - SLO76
Toyota have mode no inroads into the hot hatch market since the 80’s as they consistently miss the target. As with previous hot Yaris models they’re hugely overpriced. £30k plus for a Yaris will result in nearly no sales and crippling depreciation for those few who do buy. They’ve also hit under the target with the limp hot(ish) Mk II Yaris 1800 SR. The Fiesta ST hits the nail square on the head.

This is a Yaris in name only, in order to tie it in with the cars in the World Rally Championship. It's a high performance four wheel drive car, that carries the Yaris name for marketing purposes.

I imagine it will be restricted supply, from appointed dealers (like the Supra), and sell its allocation pretty quickly.

A hot hatch serves to bolster the image of the rest of the range, it does little good if no one buys it and it carries an unknown badge. They need a lower powered (circa 200bhp) hot hatch with the identifiable GTi badge on the rump. Price it around £20k and it’ll sell.
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - madf

With all car manufacturers facing CO2 penalties, hot hatches sold in volume are going to disappear - petrol ones that is.

EVs will replace them.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Lee Power

Toyota produce more then enough hybrid vehicles not to worry about CO2 penalties for a long while.

Apprantly according to Toyota UK you cannot have the circuit pack & convenience pack together on right hand drive versions.

Then again you cannot order the optional extra built in sat nav, heated seats or heated steering wheel on normal right hand drive Yaris either - you can in Europe.

While the Yaris GR is impressive, its not really a daily driver.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - John F

With all car manufacturers facing CO2 penalties, hot hatches sold in volume are going to disappear - petrol ones that is.

EVs will replace them.

EVs won't be as attractive as they don't make f@rty noises.

Edited by John F on 14/11/2020 at 09:49

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Oli rag
Toyota have mode no inroads into the hot hatch market since the 80’s as they consistently miss the target. As with previous hot Yaris models they’re hugely overpriced. £30k plus for a Yaris will result in nearly no sales and crippling depreciation for those few who do buy. They’ve also hit under the target with the limp hot(ish) Mk II Yaris 1800 SR. The Fiesta ST hits the nail square on the head.

I disagree SLO about it being hugely overpriced and I think they’ll sell out. An autocar test gave it a maximum 5 star review and said they would have given it 6 if possible. I think it will become a modern appreciating classic.
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - daveyjp

With a standard Yaris now coming in at £20k this looks like a bargain for what is a bespoke vehicle.

The last model Yaris GR sold out, the dealer had one in the showroom awaiting pick up when we bought our Yaris. This one will be the same.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Sprice

I'd wager this will be an appreciating hit with demand far outstripping supply.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - nellyjak

Impressive....won't be buying one but I'd love to have a go...!!

Just read Autocars test of said spicy Yaris and I’m wrong, this is a rather special wee thing. Looks like a rally car and despite the price it’s very appealing in a way Toyota’s normally aren’t. I still think they’d be better with a lower spec 2wd version at £10k less but it is a nice thing. Toyota are listening to critics and styling and driver appeal are rapidly improving. It’ll sell better than the last hot Yaris.
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - brum

For £35k (according to autoexpress) I want a real car that is not only vfm, and practical but also safe. Not a sooped up gokart /shopping trolley in which to kill myself on UKs road network from hell (ref to drivers out there)

Background: my sister and 2 friends (all oaps) killed instantly in that joke of a car called a Toyota Aygo (travelling at 30 mph) hit by a Ford focus (travelling allegedly 60mph).

Maybe thats why I bought a Skoda superb for 22k.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Heidfirst

For £35k (according to autoexpress) I want a real car that is not only vfm, and practical but also safe. Not a sooped up gokart /shopping trolley in which to kill myself on UKs road network from hell (ref to drivers out there)

It will have the full complement of Toyota Safety Sense features blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-yaris-interior-safety & gianed a 5 star NCAP rating despite an updated test. www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/yaris/40747

When a bigger, heavier vehicle also travelling faster hits a lighter vehicle the bulk of the energy transfer is only going to go one way ... That's not an argument for us all to drive buses though better driving standards would certainly be appreciated.

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Lee Power

Will the Yaris GR have the same 5 star safety result as the normal 5 door Yaris?

Its not the same bodyshell or floor pan as the normal car plus has a mixture or aluminium & carbon fibre body components.

Interesting to watch the NCAP video for Yaris in the 2020 tests. I’m sure we’ve all seen the impact tests before, but here’s also the Autonomous Emergency Braking and lane keep tech being tested. www.euroncap.com/en/results/Toyota/Yaris/40747
Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - badbusdriver

Coincidentally, the Yaris scored exactly the same adult occupant protection percentage as the Skoda Superb (86%).

Toyota Yaris GRMN - Pocket Rocket? - Engineer Andy

Is this the same car that James May 'unboxed'?

That was the previous, 200PS, FWD Yaris GRMN.