What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Smileyman

I have received my annual insurance renewal quote with a leading name insurer, the premium is 28% up on last year. To add insult to injury since lockdown I have driven less than 5% of the declared mileage, I usually drive 20,000 miles, with lockdown in the past 6 months I have driven well under 1,000! Clearly I need to call them to complain, and to discuss the mileage situation. Surely a reduction would be appropriate - I have looked around and there are better quotes out there for the accepting.

What is happening in the world of motor insurance at the moment, is this increase a typical try on or are rates generally higher than 12 months ago? With this second lockdown and as an extremely vulnerable person I need to continue to work from home, the way things are going the car may not be used until Christmas.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Bromptonaut

I've no feel for how renewal premiums are going but I would not be surprised if the pandemic has played merry hell with all sorts of algorithms including those that determine quotes. I've read previously that very low mileage can raise premiums more steeply than if you're a bit above the average of 12k/pa or whatever it is.

You've already got quotes, you need to have a conversation with your insurer about whether/how they might influence what you're currently been quoted. If another reputable insurer gives you a better quote (don't overlook fees for changes, foreign use etc) then go for it.

I moved from LV= to Direct Line this year because, even after admitting an own fault write off, it was £200 cheaper.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Ethan Edwards

Shop around at every renewal. But if the amount saved is 30quid or less then dont move just ask your existing insurer to price match. Its not rocket science.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Andrew-T

Shop around at every renewal. But if the amount saved is 30quid or less then dont move just ask your existing insurer to price match.

+1. Most places will play ball over the phone if you suggest you are going somewhere else.

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/11/2020 at 23:16

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - _

I posted earlier in the year about what was happening when I replaced the MG ZS with the Sportage, in theory, double the value/

admin charges rise of £189 to £230 ish.

when I said that they didnt normally charge me admin as we have house car and life policies with them I was told best way, cancel and re-insure online via their website.

I actually did it via quidco and compare the market and got £45 cashback and £250 free excess insurance..

I now check everything at renewal, but strangely home insurance has stayed stable.

If you find cover elsewhere just go, and tell them why.. sometimes they will correct their "error".

Edited by _ORB_ on 08/11/2020 at 21:45

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - bathtub tom

Have you tried: MSE?

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Cris_on_the_gas

It always happens with Insurance companies premium hike in year 2+. Quite possibly the only way they can stay profitable. Always worth shopping around with a couple of comparison sites. Also checking Direct Line & NFU as they don't appear on comparison sites.

It always happens with Insurance companies premium hike in year 2+. Quite possibly the only way they can stay profitable. Always worth shopping around with a couple of comparison sites.

One odd fact worth remembering is that the small print often shows that many insurers are underwritten by just a few large outfits, who presumably indulge in badge engineering like VAG and PSA. And some small companies charge a 'registration fee' for new customers which helps to hide the standard increase in year 2.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Engineer Andy

I've no feel for how renewal premiums are going but I would not be surprised if the pandemic has played merry hell with all sorts of algorithms including those that determine quotes. I've read previously that very low mileage can raise premiums more steeply than if you're a bit above the average of 12k/pa or whatever it is.

You've already got quotes, you need to have a conversation with your insurer about whether/how they might influence what you're currently been quoted. If another reputable insurer gives you a better quote (don't overlook fees for changes, foreign use etc) then go for it.

I moved from LV= to Direct Line this year because, even after admitting an own fault write off, it was £200 cheaper.

I'm wondering whether insurers are now thinking that because of lockdowns etc, people will be generally driving less often and, at least in their eyes, will be a bit rusty. That might be so if each of us dramatically dropped the estimated mileage on our renewals, but if not, I don't really see much of a change.

In my experience of often doing low annual mileages (when travelling to work by train), going below 5,000 miles pa made no difference to my premium, but the difference when I was using the car to commute and at work (10-12,000 miles pa) was only about an extra 10% on the price or so.

I'm wondering if the price increases have been more to do with people activating insurance policies to do with illness and especially losing their jobs or even businesses in the current climate. When we've had a very bad year for storms / floods, prices of most types of insurance in the next year seemed to go up to 'compensate'.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - craig-pd130

We have every car and our house insured with Direct Line. Every time renewal comes up, we get an online quote from the DL website which is invariably about 20% cheaper than the renewal cost we get posted to us. Then we simply call them, give them the quote ref for the online price and pay that. It's maybe 20 minutes per year to save several hundred quid.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Falkirk Bairn

I was with Esure for car & house - roughly 15 years- premiums crept up but were competitive with know insurers.

About 5 years ago they bumped the house & car premiums by 50- 60%.

I phoned to complain & they refused to match other "brand names"

The lost a son's business as well - 4 cars & 2 houses & no claims from either of us etc

I am now with L&G house & LV car.

Checked, 3 months back as usual when renewing , Esure charging about the same as L&G & a wee bit more than LV car - about 30- 40% less than what they tried to charge me 5 years ago.

How good / bad are my the above mentioned insurers?

I do not know as I have not claimed on house or car in over 20 years.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - madf

Esure treated me the same about the same time ago.

I put them on a list of "companies I will never do business with again"

(It includes Direct Line and Tesco_

I understood a few years ago that Esure would not take on new customers with a claims record. So I wondered what happened after one made a claim on them - was your policy thereby terminated ?

Over the years we have had good service from D-L - I would not put them on any blacklist.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/11/2020 at 14:55

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Senexdriver

I’ve said this before, so apologies for repeating myself but I hope my experience could help. I’ve been with Admiral for at least 7 years and at renewal time we play a little game. At first I trawled the market to find a better deal, presented it to them and they matched it. I think I did the same the following year. The third year I simply phoned up, suggested that we could both save time if they just reduced the renewal premium, which they did, so that’s how I proceed every year now. Renewal is due on 9 December so a repeat performance is due shortly. I’ll report back if they’re no longer willing to play!

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Steveieb
And of course service levels are important especially on pay outs.
NFU are considered the best in the business for this but you are not going to get their protection for the prices quoted by some of the companies here.
Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Engineer Andy

Esure treated me the same about the same time ago.

I put them on a list of "companies I will never do business with again"

(It includes Direct Line and Tesco_

I also changed from Esure for my car insurance after being with them since around 2004. They never used to be the cheapest, but prices in the last 5 years started to creep up against the rest and my experience too was them not matching competitors - not even the bigger names.

I did the same for my houshold insurance about 4 years before that - now with Swinton. I saved myself around £80 or so (if I recall) on this year's car insurance by switching to QMH via one of the screenscrapers, plus I got a Halford's voucher for doing so.

Esure's loss is mine and another firm's gain.

Any - Insurance renewal - Premium + 28%!! - Gibbo_Wirral

Speaking of Esure, they came up cheapest for me on the comparison sites this year.

One thing to bear in mind though - even though all my details were the same on all comparison sites, the policy was £60 dearer on that Meerkat one, but the same price on the other big three comparison sites.