What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying car for export - BooneYanee

Hello,

I need some information regarding buying and exporting a car outside the UK. I am a EU driver license holder living in Northern Ireland and I need to travel back to my home but with the whole Covid-19 situation I try to avoid flying so I came up with the idea to buy a car and just drive back to my home country which is in the EU but since I've never owned a car in the UK I am not quite familiar with the legal matters and decided to seek for advice/information here.

Could you please walk me through the procedure briefly, apparently I will need to fill in some export form and send them to the DVA and get an insurance, what is the deal with MOT and road taxes, also could you elaborate on the documents needed for permanent export. Lastly, could you recommend any car insurance company with good deals for temporary insurance I need one just for a couple of days to get the car to my destination country but so far by checking online quotes i will need 700-800 pound to insure a car for just a month which /pardon me here/ just seems wrong to me, I have a full EU issues driving license with clear history and I've been holding it for almost 7 years now. What options do I have when it comes to insurance ?

P.S The car I want to buy is a really cheap Peugeot 407 2.0 Hdi manufactured in 2008 if that matters - I will just drive it back to my home country and probably send it for scrap or sell it for parts since we drive in the opposite side of the road back home...

Thank you and have a great day !

Edited by Avant on 05/11/2020 at 09:41

Buying car for export - galileo

Would it not be simpler and cheaper to use the ferries from NI to England, train or National Express to Hull or Dover and a ferry from there to the continent?

(or even a hire car across England if you don't want to use train or coach)

Buying car for export - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm a fan of the 407, but be aware that a cheap one usually means it has problems.

If I had to do a long distance in a 407 then I would be choosing one with a lot of service history and care from the previous owner, and for that you'd be looking at a much higher purchase price.

Go for something smaller and older if you're after a diesel, as they won't have dual mass flywheel clutches and DPF systems to go wrong.

Buying car for export - Mike H

If you register it to your name in the UK when you buy it and get a V5, you don't need to fill in any significant export paperwork. You just need to notify DVLA that the car has been exported - there used to be a section on the V5 ownership document for this. You will however need to complete the import process in the EU country you are returning to, which will be more rigorous, and may/will involve the payment of import duty and potentially other taxes. Whether you can scrap it without registering it there is something you'd need to investigate.

You can get insurance by the day in the UK, might be expensive if you need green card cover.

You will have to pay vehicle excise duty (aka road tax) to make it road legal in the UK.

Edited by Mike H on 05/11/2020 at 13:48

Buying car for export - Archie35

I would have thought you could do this:

- Arrange insurance for a normal annual policy, ensure it includes EU cover, to start on the day you intend to buy it. It should cost far less than what you stated. Check that you are allowed to cancel it for a refund mid-term. Indeed, if you are going to complete the entire business in less than 14 days then I think you can always cancel under normal cooling-off rules (as long as you have not made a claim), but I am not sure about that.

- Buy car. If you are going overseas immediately there is an option shown here (www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle ) about what the seller needs to do:

What you do with your log book depends on where the buyer is taking or registering the vehicle.... Taking the vehicle abroad and registering it there: Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter giving the buyer’s name and address. Give the rest of your log book to the buyer - they’ll need it to register the vehicle in the country they’re going to.

- If however you intend to register it in the UK first, then the seller enters your UK address in the logbook, and the seller sends it off to the DVLA. When you leave the country, you then complete the permanent export section and send back to DVLA. Note that you'll need to leave enough time for the logbook to arrive, or arrange for someone to forward it to you at your EU home. You'll also need to tax the vehicle.

- Drive to your EU home. Phone up the insurance company, cancel policy - as long as you have had no accidents you should get a pro-rata refund (full months only, maybe). Take car to scrap heap and get rid. As mentioned above, you just need to confirm that your country allows overseas cars to be scrapped - but I cannot see why not (visiting cars must occasionally have accidents or breakdowns which are beyond repair, and so go straight to scrap without needing to be registered first).

- As long as the car has a valid MOT at time of purchase (valid till you scrap it) there is no need for another one.

Buying car for export - Bromptonaut

OP says he's in Northern Ireland.

Are rules there same as in GB?