Ford fiesta mk6 2007 zetec s 1.6 petrol - Whining noise at warm idle - Joe tuzzer

Hello

I have a whining noise while the car is idling.

The noise only occurs when the revs reach around the 800 rpm mark where its idling when warm.

The noise is still there whether I press the clutch in or not and doesn't change when doing that.

The noise isn't present when driving and when I rev the car the noise goes away but comes back when the revs come back down too idle.

It sound like it's coming from the front of the engine but I can't really pinpoint the exact whereabouts. Any ideas?

Here is a link for a video of the sound m.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJW3P817Iw

Cheers

Edited by Joe tuzzer on 19/10/2020 at 23:09

Ford fiesta mk6 2007 zetec s 1.6 petrol - Whining noise at warm idle - elekie&a/c doctor
Very possibly an air leak in the induction system . That’s why the noise goes away when you rev up the engine .
Ford fiesta mk6 2007 zetec s 1.6 petrol - Whining noise at warm idle - Joe tuzzer

Would that cause that whining noise though or would it be more of a hissing sound?

I do have a noise when I accelerate at about 2k rpm but it's different and probably unrelated too this noise. The noise has been there for over 1 year now and it hasn't got worse but I want too find out what is causing it.

Ford fiesta mk6 2007 zetec s 1.6 petrol - Whining noise at warm idle - Westbury33

Sounds like the alternator to me.