What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Ford Focus engine light jerking? - ben100

Got an 06 focus, the engine light has come on on the dash, it sounds a little rattley & when idle the rph drops below 1 like it's about to cut out then goes back up itself so it doesn't cut out. It also jerks when driving. Any ideas what it might be?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus engine light jerking? - edlithgow

Well, it counds like a misfire

This is usually an ignition (spark weak or mis-timed) problem, but it could also be caused by poor or mis-timed fuel injection, pre-ignition due to a coked-up cylinder, loss of compression due (say) to a broken or stuck piston ring, or a hung or damaged valve.

So LOTS of ideas as to what the MIGHT be, but you'd probably like to know what it IS.

I dunno much about newish cars, and don't much want to know more, but something that age is going to be OBDII compliant. You should probably start by getting any diagnostic codes read. These MIGHT be useful, telling you, for example, which cylinder is misbehaving.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus engine light jerking? - John F

As so often the case, not enough info. Type of engine? Mileage?

Our old Focus 1.6 Zetec had two problems causing EML illumination. The first was a failed coil pack which suddenly caused a continuous misfire and loss of power, and the second was a dirty throttle body which just needed cleaning. If it's a petrol engine I would test your HT leads for sparks first.

It's a petrol, 1.6L around 50,000 miles.

How could I have forgotten vacuum leak?

Probably less likely than on the ancient carburetted cars I have mostly driven, but I THINK still a possibility.

Ok so it broke down & was told the issue was the ignition coil connector needed replacing. So I sent it into the garage for them to have a look at & they said that they couldn't just replace that part as they couldn't buy it on it's own & that they needed to buy the whole thing together which will cost a bit. Any ideas as that sounded a bit off to me?

Ok so it broke down & was told the issue was the ignition coil connector needed replacing. So I sent it into the garage for them to have a look at & they said that they couldn't just replace that part as they couldn't buy it on it's own & that they needed to buy the whole thing together which will cost a bit. Any ideas as that sounded a bit off to me?

It sounds a bit off, but a bit (or a lot) off seems to be the new normal.

If the bit (Im not sure what you mean by ignition coil connector but perhaps the ignition lead. I've never had a car with "coil packs" if that's what this has) isn't available separately as an OEM/main dealer part, it may be available as an aftermarket part, or you could try sourcing it (or the whole thing, whatever that is) from a scrappy.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus engine light jerking? - elekie&a/c doctor
Plenty of coil connector repair kits on flea bay from around £12 .