What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - Trilogy.

Will save telling people to avoid buying them new.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-6-move-petrol-only-diesel-production-ends

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - Engineer Andy

He he!

Not really a surprise, as Mazda finally got the message from the huge drop-off in sales generally, and first tried this out with the Mazda 2, 3 and CX-30 (and dropped the CX-3 in the UK at least, which had a diesel variant) - with the 3 suffering badly in sales terms from reports of poor reliability of diesel-engined variants over the last 15 years.

Whether they expand the range of engines of the SA-X to both lower and high displacements is another matter. Currently, it isn't available in the US because their regulators are more concerned with particulates that CO2/mpg than in (say) the EU, where the SA-G models aren't as good as the SA-X but are quite a bit cheaper.

I also suspect that this is also in line with their tie-up with Toyota on producing hybrids and EVs longer term across the board.

They should've done this 5+ years ago.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - Trilogy.

A shame the CX-3 has been dropped, it's still on sale in RHD elsewhere.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - misar

with the 3 suffering badly in sales terms from reports of poor reliability of diesel-engined variants over the last 15 years.

It is true that overall Mazda UK sales have declined for several years but what evidence do you have for that claim? The recent drop in 3 sales is partly because the CX-30 derivative has taken a chunk of its market.

Diesel cars have only ever been significant in Europe and their sales have plummeted across the board thanks to emission regulations and urban low emission zones. Hardly surprising that Mazda should drop diesels, especially as the X engine is supposed to offer the advantages of a diesel while running on petrol. I am not sure the first generation X lives up to their hopes so perhaps it will be overtaken by EV and hybrid versions.

with the 3 suffering badly in sales terms from reports of poor reliability of diesel-engined variants over the last 15 years.

It is true that overall Mazda UK sales have declined for several years but what evidence do you have for that claim? The recent drop in 3 sales is partly because the CX-30 derivative has taken a chunk of its market.

Diesel cars have only ever been significant in Europe and their sales have plummeted across the board thanks to emission regulations and urban low emission zones. Hardly surprising that Mazda should drop diesels, especially as the X engine is supposed to offer the advantages of a diesel while running on petrol. I am not sure the first generation X lives up to their hopes so perhaps it will be overtaken by EV and hybrid versions.

Sales of the Mazda3 have been dropping significantly since the gen-2 car arrived in 2009. Mazda sales in the UK were:

2019 - 33,300

2014 - 37,700

2012 - 26,200

2011 - 31,200

2010 - 45,450

2006 - 49,600

Sources: SMMT, Car Magazine, MotorTrader

Yes, there was a significant dip during the financial crisis of 2008 - 2012, but sales have never recovered to the highs of the 2005-6 era.

I sadly see few gen-4 Mazda3s on the road nowadays, many less 2s than the gen-2 car - most of the latest generations are actually CX-5s and 6s. Far less MX-5s about than 15-20 years ago.

The Mazda3 has been on sale for at least 6 months longer than the CX-30, and by my own observations, very few have been sold, compared to the CX-5 - at least in my neck of the woods, which has 3-4 dealerships within 25 miles or so, if I recall.

Even when counting the gen-3 Mazda3, I haven't seen that many around. Far more earlier generation models than the latest two - and by some margin too.

In my view, the above sales figures bear this out. Whilst the rest of Europe have not apparently experienced such severe drop-offs, it could be down to a greater market presence in Eastern Europe when those nations became full EU members, rather than sales in the likes of France, Germany and Spain staying healthy.

It is also notable that North American sales have been very good, and even Down Under where sales have dropped 25%+ since 2016 they are still well over double the UK's at 85,400 in 2019.

Even factoring in the Economic crisis of 2008-12, I think the long term decline/non-recovery to 2006 levels in UK sales is down to a significant loss of confidence in the brand because of both the diesel engine problems and, in my view, patchy and often a poor dealership experience - bad advice in selling diesel-engined cars to people whose driving pattern doesn't support it, knowing the engine issues, and poor after-sales care of said issues and more generally.

I am not doing this for malicious reasons - after all, I've owned a Mazda car from new for nearly 15 years now and have been very pleased with it. Mazda were lucky that their non-rotary petrol-engined models have been far more reliable, as I'm sure more owners would desert them if they too had the problems of the diesel cars.

To me, their problem now is that, even forgetting current global events, Mazda have significantly jacked up prices which still selling - in the UK at least - the rather insipid 2.0 SA-G petrol angined cars and put a decent premium on the 2.0 SA-X ones.

I also believe that because the SA-X does not give a signifiant bump in mpg and performance at the same time, the benefits compared to the SA-G aren't as great. I'd put good money on a similar power-output diesel getting far better mpg than the SA-X when its full performance is used, because the engine design goes back to standard injection in that mode. What is needed, in my view, is a 2.5L variant to give the cars some real pep without the need to thrash it - sort of like the VAG 1.4TSI 150PS variant had.

Admitedly, the SA-X is a gen-1 engine design, so hopefully this will improve with the next one. Whether we get that really depends on how the hybrid and EV programme goes.

I personally feel that it will take Mazda UK a LONG time to recover their credibility, and that's assuming their dealers significantly improve their post-sales customer care - something I have not seen much evidence of over the last decade through being a member of this and other forums, including for the Mazda3.

I am not doing this for malicious reasons - after all, I've owned a Mazda car from new for nearly 15 years now and have been very pleased with it. Mazda were lucky that their non-rotary petrol-engined models have been far more reliable, as I'm sure more o

I was not suggesting that you are, nor disagreeing about Mazda's falling sales. My point is the lack of any data to confirm your claim that the diesel engine was responsible for lower sales of the 3 in the UK.

What we read about the Mazda diesel on forums reaches a tiny number of people. I suspect that the vast majority of new Mazda 3 diesel buyers either had no idea about any potential problems or did not care because they intended to keep the car for only three years on a lease etc. It is probably mostly second and subsequent owners who are affected.

As I said, anything Mazda-specific has been overtaken anyway by widespread disillusion with diesel cars.

Edited by misar on 10/10/2020 at 14:13

To me, their problem now is that, even forgetting current global events, Mazda have significantly jacked up prices which still selling - in the UK at least - the rather insipid 2.0 SA-G petrol angined cars and put a decent premium on the 2.0 SA-X ones.

I am afraid that high price increases for the recent Mazda 3 generations is yet another myth that you keep repeating.

As I bought a new Mazda 3 in 2009 and 2019 I happen to have their price lists. Here is the reality for the 2.0L manual petrol HBs based on the Sport version I bought in 2009 and the equivalent Sport Lux (G engine) from 2019. On the road retail prices were:
2009 £18130
2019 £22795

BUT we have to take into account car price inflation for which you can find indices here:
www.statista.com/statistics/286563/consumer-price-.../
2019 index 112.2
2015 index 100
2009 index 91.5

Using that data we can normalise the prices of both cars to 2015
£22795 @ 2015 prices = £20476
£18130 @ 2015 prices = £19814

So the reality is a real £650 price increase for which I can assure you Mazda in 2019 provided vastly more equipment as standard and a massive hike in the overall quality of the car, especially refinement in the cabin.

CORRECTION
I used the wrong index for 2009. It should have been 90.6 so
£18130 @ 2015 prices = £20011
Mazda in 2019 actually increased the price by only a real £450 compared with 2009.

Edited by misar on 10/10/2020 at 16:12

A 2020 Mazda3 2.0 SA-X range topper is around £30k. Back in 2009 you could buy a 2.3T MPS for £18.6k (HJ website figures - I think that was actually for a gen-1 run-out) and have a large amount of change left over. In 2019 prices that's £23k, according to your CPI figures. Maybe HJ had the figures wrong.

I think Mazda started getting the prices wrong (list prices too high) around 2010 - 12, especially as, in my view, many of the car available weren't a leap forward from the previous versions, more evolution.

It isn't just the list prices - it's the actual discounts on offer - up until the gen-3 car arrived, discounts via brokers of 20-22% were regularly available. When the gen-4 car arrived, discounts were around the 8-14% mark.

My point is that the SA-X is overpriced, and the SA-G underpowered for what it is. I test drove a gen-3 2.0 SA-G and despite the claimed 0-60 time, it wasn't much more spritely than my 2005 1.6 petrol. The latest one is barely quicker than my 1.6. I wouldn't be so bothered had the SA-G been the same output as the SA-X, as it would've been worth the extra.

Factoring in discounts, the SA-G engined cars are probably £2k over and the SA-X about £3k over what they should be. Finding a brand new (i.e. not a pre-reg) Mazda3 (after discount) under £20k is getting tough to say the least. Bear in mind that for the top spec SA-X models, you're in the same territory as VW Golfs, Audi A3s and BMW 2 Series Coupes that are often quite a bit quicker (especially in real-world driving) and likely to depreciate less.

I agree that the gen-4 Mazda3 interior quality is right up there with the best (and so is the styling, inside and out), but until they can compete on the performance front and have the cache of the German marques, their list prices aren't justified.

I think that Toyota are making similar errors by charging a similar amount for their Corolla 2.0, even if they don't compete directly - they are expensive for what you get.

A 2020 Mazda3 2.0 SA-X range topper is around £30k. Back in 2009 you could buy a 2.3T MPS for £18.6k (HJ website figures - I think that was actually for a gen-1 run-out) and have a large amount of change left over. In 2019 prices that's £23k, according to your CPI figures. Maybe HJ had the figures wrong.

I think Mazda started getting the prices wrong (list prices too high) around 2010 - 12, especially as, in my view, many of the car available weren't a leap forward from the previous versions, more evolution.

It isn't just the list prices - it's the actual discounts on offer - up until the gen-3 car arrived, discounts via brokers of 20-22% were regularly available. When the gen-4 car arrived, discounts were around the 8-14% mark.

Having said "I am not doing this for malicious reasons" you seem determined to use meaningless comparisons to wrongly convince anyone reading this that Mazda have massively hiked the real price of the 3. First you ignored inflation, now you are comparing a current on the road list price with an alleged 2009 discount price for a Gen-1 run-out. Throwing in alleged changes in the size of spot discounts offered by brokers is even more meaningless for a comparison claiming to prove that Mazda are increasing their prices.

FWIW, the "Mazda3 2.0 SA-X range topper around £30k" that you quote is for the Mazda3 180ps SA-X AWD GT Sport Tech Auto. It is in a totally different world from a Gen-1 MPS regardless of whether the MPS was a range topper 10 years ago. In fact opting for the SA-X engine adds about £2000 to the list price of each SA-G version. That is virtually the same as the premium on the 2.2 (185ps) Diesel in the past. Hardly surprising because Mazda publicity for the SA-X made it clear that they see it as an environmentally friendly replacement for their performance diesel.

I bet, given the choice, that most people would prefer the fire-breathing MPS (if in brand new condition). Too many cars these days are boring.

BTW - the price I quoted for the gen-1 MPS (which actually is in the gen-2 section for some reason - maybe because sales of that possibly ceased after the gen-2 normal car was released) WAS the list price - you can look it up yourself before ripping into my argument.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/3-2009/specs

(bottom entries)

At no point did I mention 'deals' as regards that price - the car itself was a 'run-out', i.e. the last to come of the production line before the gen-2 car (in general) production was started.

It matters not that the latest version range-topper (price-wise) is far more environmentally-friendly than the gen-1 (or 2) MPS, it was more about the purchase cost, plus that dealer offers or buying via brokers attracts far less discounts than 10-15 years ago.

I think you're putting words in my mouth about my criticisms of the company - noting that me being critical of them (including their pricing policy) does not mean that their cars are bad or that your choice to buy one was either. This isn't a personal attack.

My point was that their decisions as regards pricing, marketing and the range of models / engines / trims they offer in the UK obviously haven't worked, given the sales figures I quoted, especially in an already crowded 'premium' market and where rivals like Hyundai/KIA are rapidly gaining ground on the technical front whilst blowing them out of the water on sales - both globally and especially in the UK.

I'm, entitled to my opinion just as much as you are.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - Avant

You have to wonder what lies between the ears of some of the people who make decisions at Mazda.

Firstly they never seemed to admit - perhaps not even to themselves - that there was a problem with their diesel engines. And now we have the electric MX-30 with its maximum range of 125 miles.

That range makes sense in a Mini or Honda E which is either a family's second car or driven by someone who stays in the city. But for a mid-size SUV? Even if you only do long journeys very occasionally, you still like to know you can if you have to. And it hasn't got the advantage of cheapness which helps to sell the electric MG ZS.

And yet they can not only design the MX-5 back in the late 80s, but improve it and keep it bang up to date 30+ years on.

You have to wonder what lies between the ears of some of the people who make decisions at Mazda.

Firstly they never seemed to admit - perhaps not even to themselves - that there was a problem with their diesel engines. And now we have the electric MX-30 with its maximum range of 125 miles.

They appear to like 'doing things their way' and, to me, and some industry insiders/journos, they appear to rarely look outside of Japan to gauge the needs / experience of car owners. IMHO, Mazda UK are little more than a marketing organisation. I'm just glad I picked a petrol engined car and thus only needed to refer to them once (for information) - which was not particularly satisfactory.

That range makes sense in a Mini or Honda E which is either a family's second car or driven by someone who stays in the city. But for a mid-size SUV? Even if you only do long journeys very occasionally, you still like to know you can if you have to. And it hasn't got the advantage of cheapness which helps to sell the electric MG ZS.

If the reports of the MX-30 getting a range-extender version are true, then that may go some way to resolving that, but of course (see above) they have to do it their way by using a ****** rotary engine.

And yet they can not only design the MX-5 back in the late 80s, but improve it and keep it bang up to date 30+ years on.

Great little car, but sales (pre-COVID) are apparatently far lower than for previous generations - not because it's a bad car (far from it), but because it isn't anywhere near as affordable any more, an issue I think applies across the range.

Many people now prefer a warm supermini/small C-sector hatch for the better practicality with 'enough' poke and good handling - something that Mazda has not made for some time now.

Similar things can be said for the huge decline in sales of the Honda Civic Type R - now way out the price bracket of those buying the original two versions and not anything like the same car.

Both makes should learn a thing or two in terms of marketing strategy from Ford and especially VAG, who appear to know what their buyers (especially VAG) want very well - at least in terms of their cars' appeal.

Mazda can't seem to decide whether they want to emulate Toyota and go safe and boring, but ultra-reliable, or Audi and styling and performance. At least they are better off in that respect than Honda, who in my view seem to be directionless.

Great little car, but sales (pre-COVID) are apparatently far lower than for previous generations - not because it's a bad car (far from it), but because it isn't anywhere near as affordable any more, an issue I think applies across the range.

For the last time as we are boring everyone else, BUT

MX-5 convertible, bottom of the range, on the road Mazda list prices as before:
June 2009 (126ps) £16345 > (2015 prices) £18040
July 2019 (132ps) £19495 > (2015 prices) £17375

I rest my case for the defence of Mazda.

I think part of their problem is being a relatively small manufacturer on the current global scale. They cannot compete directly with the majors for mass market sales so they are forever trying to find a niche. For a few years it was sporty ("zoom zoom"), now they seem to be trying to move up market with a more quality feel.

They also seem to be more driven by engineers than other car companies which may explain (not necessarily justify) some of their decisions like the rotary and X engines or the reluctance to downsize to tiny turbos.

I think part of their problem is being a relatively small manufacturer on the current global scale. They cannot compete directly with the majors for mass market sales so they are forever trying to find a niche. For a few years it was sporty ("zoom zoom"), now they seem to be trying to move up market with a more quality feel.

They also seem to be more driven by engineers than other car companies which may explain (not necessarily justify) some of their decisions like the rotary and X engines or the reluctance to downsize to tiny turbos.

One downside of not going the small capacity turbo route is that the current Mazdas have comparatively long bonnets to (presumably) accommodate their larger engines compared to the TSI type rivals, which is presumably why they don't compare so well in terms of rear seat and boot space to their rivals or are longer (fastback).

The upside is that they should last longer - though it's unlikely British driver will notice, given most of us don't do the starship mileages of those in (say) North America, etc.

In my view, Mazda will only succeed in going upmarket if they bring up the customer care at their dealerships and national arms - they have to demonstrate an up-market ownership experience, not just styling and price. Lexus do that by highly reliable cars

Using a Mazda dealership often is like being at a Ford or Vauxhall dealership - hit and miss, as many of our fellow Mazda3 forum members have told us. They just got stuffed Down Under by the authorities (watch John Cadogan's YT videos) after being caught (several years of doing this) of really bad post-sales customer care.

Believe me when I say that really want them to do well - I wouldn't have owned a Mazda3 (and I've used my local dealer throughout for all work on the car) for so long had I thought they were rubbish.

I just wish they'd listen to Mazda car owners and learn from their ownership experiences more often, and implemented changes - some to the lineup (too limited in the UK) / cars, but especially the dealers/Mazda UK as regards customer care. If they are not careful, they will soon be supplanted by the likes of Hyundai/KIA - who have been improving immensely on all fronts for the last 15+ years.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - moward

Ah another “the end is nigh” for Mazda threads. Hopefully as a very happy owner of a Mazda 6 Tourer, this is not the case. I’m very much looking forward to the rumoured 6 cylinder, rear wheel driven M6 that’s forecast for 2022.

I despair at the thought of turbo engines being pushed down my throat as if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally, having driven a few, I just don’t get on well with how they deliver their power. Give me a linear, responsive N/A motor anytime.

The poor old Skyactiv G seems to get a lot of stick on these forums, like its an old fashioned poor relative of the diesel engine model. Many forget that this engine held the record for the highest compression ratio in any petroleum fuelled production vehicle (Ferrari included), at least up until the Skyactiv x was released. Its not an old fashioned NA petrol motor, in fact it was quite state of the art when it came to market. Part of the reason then for the elongated bonnet is to give room for the tri-Y exhaust manifold (part of what makes the high 14/1 compression ratio possible).

I’m also quite curious as to what sort of relationship folks want with a car dealer. Personally I don’t want any relationship with them at all, much like I don’t want a relationship with my dentist, proctologist :-P, or anyone else for that matter. A car dealer exists only as a place to stock cars that I might want to buy, after that point, I wouldn’t care if I never see them again.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - madf

re car pricing?

Yen is strengthening vs Sterling.. approx 5% since 2018.

Hence some price increases.

I despair at the thought of turbo engines being pushed down my throat as if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally, having driven a few, I just don’t get on well with how they deliver their power. Give me a linear, responsive N/A motor anytime.

The poor old Skyactiv G seems to get a lot of stick on these forums, like its an old fashioned poor relative of the diesel engine model. Many forget that this engine held the record for the highest compression ratio in any petroleum fuelled production vehicle (Ferrari included), at least up until the Skyactiv x was released. Its not an old fashioned NA petrol motor, in fact it was quite state of the art when it came to market. Part of the reason then for the elongated bonnet is to give room for the tri-Y exhaust manifold (part of what makes the high 14/1 compression ratio possible).

As is probably clear by now, I am the owner of a current Skyactive G and I totally agree your view of the engine. The gutless comments in the press come from comparisons with tiny turbos which have totally different driving characteristics. I stuck with Mazda partly because like you I do not see small turbos as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact provided you are willing to use the gears the SA-G 3 drives really well. It also has more than adequate performance unless you hanker after sports car acceleration away from the lights.

Ah another “the end is nigh” for Mazda threads. Hopefully as a very happy owner of a Mazda 6 Tourer, this is not the case. I’m very much looking forward to the rumoured 6 cylinder, rear wheel driven M6 that’s forecast for 2022.

I’m also quite curious as to what sort of relationship folks want with a car dealer. Personally I don’t want any relationship with them at all, much like I don’t want a relationship with my dentist, proctologist :-P, or anyone else for that matter. A car dealer exists only as a place to stock cars that I might want to buy, after that point, I wouldn’t care if I never see them again.

It would be nice if the delaers were honest and trustworthy, for a start. The Mazda3 forum I'm a member of is littered with tales of woe concerning not just dodgy diesels, but also dealers doing botched repairs / parts replacements, fake servicing (i.e. not actually replacing fluids, filters, brake parts,using cheapo parts etc), overcharging, etc, etc.

I've been relatively fortunate with my dealership to only really have one issue - where they tried to cover up ordering the wrong alloy wheels. According to another forum member, the same dealership twice did not replace consumable parts and fluids when supposed to at the service.

Having a good dealership customer service isn't just through them being nice when your car breaks and they fix it to a good standard and on time. General serving and parts replacements as matter a lot, and I still find it amazing how often people report how such basic activities can be botched up or they are treated disrespectfully / ripped off.

Mazda 6 diesel production to cease - daveyjp

Any comparison of price needs to take into account the removal of tarriffs which reduced prices by 10%.

Any comparison of price needs to take into account the removal of tarriffs which reduced prices by 10%.

Has the EU-Japan FTA come into effect yet? At least until December, we should be following that deal as well. If this now applies to Mazda, it sounds like they haven't passed on this to consumers - maybe they previously had been taking a big hit per new car sale and now it is just extra profits.