What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Meriva - How do I tackle issue with local garage? - horsepills

Wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 2012 Meriva that has been fully serviced each year since new. I took it to my local garage in January this year for its MOT and Service, and they advised me that there was brake fluid leaking from the gearbox and that the gearbox needed replacing - I went ahead with this work and paid around £1000 for the re-conditioned gearbox/replacement.

All has been ok until last week, when the car developed a fault with the Power Steering. I took it to my nearest Vauxhall main dealer this time, and they have fixed the issue with the power steering, but as part of their checks they advised me that there is "brake fluid around the bottom of the gearbox - possibly due to slave starting to leak" - and told me that the gearbox likely needs replacing!

When I explained to them that the gearbox was replaced earlier this year for the same issue (brake fluid leak) by my local garage - they seemed surprised, and told me that I should go back to my local garage to get it checked out by them.

So - just looking for some advice really. Not being used to this kind of thing - should I take the car back to the local and expect them to look at/repair any fault with the gearbox? What should my next step be?

Thanks in advance

Vauxhall Meriva - How do I tackle issue with local garage? - craig-pd130

First, check very carefully what is written on the invoice for the gearbox replacement done by your local garage. The brake fluid can only be leaking from the clutch 'slave' cylinder (this is the part which actually operates the clutch mechanism when you press the clutch pedal).

They should have replaced the slave cylinder too, and this should be listed on the invoice. If it is listed, then go back to the garage and tell them to inspect the car as the replacement slave cylinder seems to be leaking.

Also, you may need a clutch plate replacement if the slave cylinder is leaking (because the leaking fluid contaminates the clutch plate). I am surprised that a reconditioned gearbox was fitted. I can't see how a leaking clutch slave cylinder ruins the gearbox.

Vauxhall Meriva - How do I tackle issue with local garage? - Terry W

As far as I know brake fluid cannot leak fom the gearbox.

However I believe that the Meriva has a clutch slave cylinder which may have been leaking hydraulic fluid and would have required gearbox removal for replacement.

If this is the case it is likely that the replacement slave cylinder has failed again or was incorrectly installed on the original repair.

However if a gearbox gasket had failed and was leaking transmission fluid, this may require a gearbox replacement. Rebuilding an original gearbox to replace the gaskets is a fairly specalist task which most local garages would be unable to do.

So firstly - be clear what the original fault was - slave cylinder or gearbox.

If the current fault is one which should have been fixed originally you may have a claim that the garage that the work was deficient. However I suspect after nine months you are on the margins of what they are statutorily liable for so start the dialogue constructively - don't go in hobnail boots flying!

Vauxhall Meriva - How do I tackle issue with local garage? - horsepills

Thank you for the advice - apologies for the muddled first message. So, I can clear things up a bit more as I've fetched the original paperwork and invoices:

The original fault was that there was an OIL leak due to "suspected differential bearing failure" - as a result of this, the gearbox was replaced as well as the clutch - on the invoice for the clutch replacement it says "Clutch kit inc CSC" which I'm assuming means the clutch slave cylinder was also replaced.

The NEW issue that was picked up by the main dealer is a brake fluid around the bottom of the gearbox which is logged as "possible slave starting to leak".

So, as the slave cylinder (that was replaced in Jan) seems to be the current issue - I'll start by taking it back to the local gargage that fitted it and ask them to take a look.

Vauxhall Meriva - How do I tackle issue with local garage? - elekie&a/c doctor
Or is it fluid residue from the Original repair ? If hydraulic fluid was leaking , then the brake fluid level would be going down in the reservoir.