What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - gordonbennet

Waiting at an indy garage yesterday for a job to be done on our car, noticed a man bought an 11 plate Astra Diesel in, judging by the work being done it was a pre MOT, and whilst there they performed a forced regen on the car.

Basically the chap plugged his Netbook sized computer in and the engine gradually revved up to what sounded like 2500rpm, after a minute or so a decent volume of blue/black smoke emitted from the exhaust for roughly a minute and then the engine continued at that same rev rate for about 30 mins and then it gradually revved itself down to a normal tickover, during this time the mechanic periodically put his hand near the exhaust to check temps.

I've not seen a forced regen performed before, never had to manually trigger one on my lorry (presumably a smilar operation but driver controlled by dash switch), and i have no idea of the amount the garage charged for this...judging by our bill not a bank breaker...but it got me wondering how much a main dealer would charge for this and how much of a meal they would make of it to justify the cost.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - edlithgow

Of course I can't answer your question, dealing as it does with things I would try hard to avoid, BUT

"during this time the mechanic periodically put his hand near the exhaust to check temps."

seems rather disappointingly low-tech from a marketing POV.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - Bromptonaut

In just over 100,000 miles in the current Berlingo we've not had the slightest problem with the DPF other than needing a top up of EOLYS fluid.

It does, from time to time, do what seems a more aggressive regen than that relying on normal (longer distance) driving but the only clue is that the radiator fan stays on for several minutes after engine shutdown.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - mcb100
Was it over a concrete floor? I’ve heard tales of forced regens softening Tarmac...
Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - Andrew-T

Interesting tale, GB. I was trying to guess how much fuel was used in that process - my diesel car would be doing about 75mph in 5th at 2500rpm, or 37 miles on the road in half an hour. At that speed probably around 55mpg, so about two-thirds of a gallon or 3 litres; I guess not too expensive at around £3.50 ? Maybe a bit less as there was no air or rolling resistance to deal with.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - S40 Man

When I had my MK4 Mondeo I could use Forscan to do a forced regen. It worked exactly as you described. The engine ran at high revs for a bit and then calmed down until the procedure was over.

It did get pretty hot, and noisy. A neighbour complained it was upsetting her dog.

I don't think it used a huge amount of fuel in the big scheme of things.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - Gibbo_Wirral

Peugeot diagnostic equipment has the facility to force a regen.

I'd guess they'd charge a standard hour's labour, (£100+VAT?)

Luckily so many people around the UK have a clone of the diagnostic gear and will do it for beer money.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - corax

I'd be interested to know how many van drivers come across DPF issues, if at all, considering that many of them are moving from job to job locally, doing very short mileages in between.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - RT

I'd be interested to know how many van drivers come across DPF issues, if at all, considering that many of them are moving from job to job locally, doing very short mileages in between.

Going back awhile, the Post Office had issues with their fleet of Fiat vans and had to issue instructions how to carry out a forced regeneration by the roadside - I aquired a copy in case our Vectra-C needed one for its Fiat diesel engine.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - craig-pd130

Going back awhile, the Post Office had issues with their fleet of Fiat vans and had to issue instructions how to carry out a forced regeneration by the roadside - I aquired a copy in case our Vectra-C needed one for its Fiat diesel engine.

What was the procedure, out of interest? My Mondeo IV 2.0TDCi never needed any help, and I was never able to find a 'cheat' to force regenerations with my two Volvo V60s (although again, I never had any DPF problems with them either),

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - RT

What was the procedure, out of interest? My Mondeo IV 2.0TDCi never needed any help, and I was never able to find a 'cheat' to force regenerations with my two Volvo V60s (although again, I never had any DPF problems with them either),

I don't recall the exact procedure - but along the lines of starting the engine with throttle pedal fully depressed - with some buttons pressed at the same time

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - craig-pd130

When I had my MK4 Mondeo I could use Forscan to do a forced regen. It worked exactly as you described. The engine ran at high revs for a bit and then calmed down until the procedure was over.

My 2008 MK4 Mondeo was as reliable as clockwork with its DPF regenerations, they used to happen every 400 or so miles, even if on the previous day I'd done a 200-mile motorway journey at a steady 75mph.

Astra, but any Diesel with DPF - How much for a forced regen. - gordonbennet

I don't have a Diesel car modern enough for a dpf (had a Citroen C2 VTS Hdi for a while, like Bromp's Diesel it was trouble free), but interesting how regularly the DPF's on some posters cars are regenerating, one must assume it's not just the system relying on build up, there must be some mileage or maybe type of motoring factored into the schedule.

My lorry has now covered some 250k kms over the last 21 months, i've probably driven 60/70% of that distance, hasn't needed a forced regen at all, to my knowledge (dash warning) its regenerated passively about 4 times, twice i've had to cancel regens soon as they started due to the nature of my work, usually resuming shortly after you start driving again, only once have i needed to prolong a journey for 10 mins or so to allow a regen to complete...so i'd hazard a guess its regenerated a total of maybe 8 times over approx 150k miles.

Lorries are more likely to be ash level only based criteria?

By the way, a new exhaust for the vehicle i drive, should one be needed, is a cool £11k, one wonders how much a full euro 6 exhaust will cost for a fairly large car when the time comes.

Nearly forgot, yes the Astra regen was completed outside on concrete, judging by the direction of smoke whilst initial burn was preumably igniting the exhaust is straight, not directed to floor.

Andrew re fuel used, probably not as much as you might think, for comparsion, a 13 litre lorry engine on fast idle at 700rpm driving two pto's, one of which drives a high volume compressor for tanker discharge, uses about 5 litres of fuel over an hour's typical discharging, so i imagine a surprisingly small amount of extra fuel is used for a typical car regen.

If i was to buy a dpf equipped car again i would make sure i had the use of some software to allow me to conduct regens when needed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/09/2020 at 19:40