Eco boost engine - primus 1

Whenever people are asking for car recommendations they’re often told to avoid fords eco boost engines as they’re unreliable, a little unfair..? Yes they had problems with corroding degas pipes affecting the cooling which would then overheat and then cause engine problems ( as any engine would without coolant) afaik this has been sorted with ford even replacing engines foc in some cases, I’m on my third car powered by an eco boost engine with no problems whatsoever including engines, has enough time now passed to allow some leniency towards the ecoboost?

Eco boost engine - Lee Power

Ecoboom & Aquaboost are the nicknames two Ford technicians i know call these wonderful engines.

Eco boost engine - badbusdriver

Personally, i have no problem recommending an Ecoboost equipped Ford if new and with the security of a warranty.

But i'd just be too wary to recommend one second hand, especially one completely outwith the warranty. It would be different if the Fords so equipped, are the only cars which could fulfill the needs of the buyer, but they aren't, so why take the risk?.

Ecoboost fans will invariably tell us that the problems have all been fixed, but looking at the good/bad section of the relevant page for the previous shape Fiesta (2013-2017) and Focus (2014-2018) shows plenty owners having problems with cars fitted with the 1.0 Ecoboost.

This obviously doesn't mean that they are all going to fail, to suggest that would be absurd, but it is about minimising the risk of buying a used car. So while most Ecoboost's might be absolutely fine, it is a bit of Russian roulette.

For the vast majority of buyers, who don't really care too much about how well the car handles, a Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz is going to offer more space with better reliability than the Fiesta. For folk who want a bit more pizazz to the driving experience (though on balance still not quite as good as the Fiesta), they could get a Suzuki Swift or Mazda 2.

Same goes for the Focus vs various other candidates.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/09/2020 at 11:43

Eco boost engine - thirts

What's your mileage for these cars?

Eco boost engine - elekie&a/c doctor
There are plenty of other engines out there that could be considered just as troublesome. Many come from the big German manufacturers . Recently I have never seen so many cars with engines in pieces that have just about managed 5 years service , mainly catastrophic failure of timing chains on MB and BMW vehicles .
There are plenty of other engines out there that could be considered just as troublesome. Many come from the big German manufacturers . Recently I have never seen so many cars with engines in pieces that have just about managed 5 years service , mainly catastrophic failure of timing chains on MB and BMW vehicles .

Absolutely, but i guess it seems the 1.0 Ecoboost is picked on simply because there are so many Fords out there with that engine.

But i would also advise against most BMW's or Mercs if asked. Just need to look at the good/bad sections on this website for the relevant cars to see that the reliability for the above two manufacturers isn't very great.

But other small turbo's too, i've read comments from SLO about avoiding the 0.9 Renault 3 cylinder and the 0.8 Fiat 2 cylinder engines. And have also been aware of a few threads cropping up about problems with the 1.2 Puretec from the PSA group.

Speaking of 1.2 Puretech.

My 2016 Puretech 130 powered 308 has just had to have the inlet valves decoked at just 34k miles.

Jerky throttle response between 3k & 4k rpm was the problem.

Full Peugeot main dealer service history plus Peugeot extended warranty ( which flatly refused to pay for the repair)

Myself & the Peugeot main dealer both kicked up a fuss with Peugeot UK customer services & reluctantly they eventually agreed to pay 100% of the repair - mentioning known design fault with direct injection petrol engines & I bought it as it had 4 engine of the year awards seemed to help.

Car out of action for nearly 3 weeks & given a new Corsa - which are poorly designed ( 208 in disguise ) loan vehicle.

My next vehicle will be a Toyota.

Eco boost engine - corax

I think it was a previous poster on here, 659FBE, who suggested that the older engineers are all retired and the new systems don't seem to be designed properly. I thought that timing chain design was fundamental engineering, so why all the current problems.

Eco boost engine - Falkirk Bairn

>>timing chain design was fundamental engineering, so why all the current problems.

VW + sub contractor was using pressing tools beyond their design life - chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Early BMW 1.5 3 cyl had (has?) severe problems in early days

so it is not just VW / Renault / MB / Ford / Fiat etc

extensive testing with big mileages in a matter of months even a year is not the same as the punter doing small mileage, lots of cold start/stop journeys - big motorway mileages at 70 are much kinder to engines.

Even Honda's new engines 3 & 4 cylinders have issue - but not on the severity of the above manufacturers.

Eco boost engine - madf

What's your mileage for these cars?

I ignore all reports of "my engine/car was wonderful and never went wrong" when no mileage or age of car is given.

The proof of reliability is when heh car is 3-6 years old and maintenance is no longer main dealer.

And the proof a of manufacturer is when there is a problem and they sort it - or not - without a murmur when it is established it is not the owner's faults.

So I WILL NOT buy a Peugeot nor a Ford: as those makers deny design problems exist until forced to do so..

Nor a BMW, Mercedes, any GM,VW Range Rover, Jaguar, Renault, as well.

Wait till they start making EVs in a rush and engineering design is rushed...

Eco boost engine - _

Wait till they start making EVs in a rush and engineering design is rushed...

If you want an interesting read follow the MG-Rover.org forum about the charging problems with the ZS EV and that MG are no longer (ALREADY?) doing some software updates on some Zs models.

They have benn out... wait for it 2 years and 9 months (the ZS).

Edited by _ORB_ on 27/09/2020 at 14:57

Early build e - 208 & Corsa E owners are reporting suffering loss of traction when they start the vehicle & there is a fresh TSB release for onboard charger replacement which apparently fixes the issue.

Eco boost engine - primus 1

I tend to keep my cars 3 or 4 years and, up until last year I rarely did over 6000 miles per year as I had a company van but now need my car as I changed jobs last year, a quick trawl on autotrader shows a few fiestas with 70/80000 miles on but of course there’s no real way of knowing if there’s been engine issues at some point, I now have a ford Puma with the eco boost engine, but would I keep it for any length of time...I’m not sure, as comments about this engine are always at the back of my mind, there’s absolutely no reason an ecoboost engine shouldn’t last if looked after, as with any other engine

given a new Corsa - which are poorly designed ( 208 in disguise ) loan vehicle.

I think these comments are a little unfair. It may not look like a 208 but that doesn't mean it is poorly designed. There are plenty of folk who don't get on with Peugeot's 'i-cockpit' layout, and i'm sure for those the corsa is a better design because it is more conventional. Also, when it comes to poor design, a lot of people, myself included, think having the heating and ventilation controls relegated to the toucscreen is the very defination of poor design. The Corsa keeps physical controls for this, surely a better design?.

given a new Corsa - which are poorly designed ( 208 in disguise ) loan vehicle.

I think these comments are a little unfair. It may not look like a 208 but that doesn't mean it is poorly designed. There are plenty of folk who don't get on with Peugeot's 'i-cockpit' layout, and i'm sure for those the corsa is a better design because it is more conventional. Also, when it comes to poor design, a lot of people, myself included, think having the heating and ventilation controls relegated to the toucscreen is the very defination of poor design. The Corsa keeps physical controls for this, surely a better design?.

I had the brand spanking new Corsa for nearly 3 weeks & i put 265 miles on it.

Im 5'11 - with the seat in the corect position for me I found the heating controls are just out of reach requiring me to stretch forward to adjust them.

The drivers side B pillar is right next to my head blocking vision when you look over shoulder or the passenger side B pillar blocks your vision trying to pull out from certain junctions & turnings.

The front seatbelt height is fixed & will be to high for Joe average to get comfortable.

The clutch foot rest interferes with my size 9 feet when your operating the clutch pedal.

The indicator & wiper stalks are mounted to far away from the steering wheel meaning you have to stretch your fingers to operate them.

The ride is bouncy with poor quality.

The sound deadening isn't up to the job to drown out road noise.

There isnt much cabin storage space.

There are some good points - the LED headlamps where good, the stop / start system was smart plus the gear change indicator had both up & down promts.

Eco boost engine - Avant

"Wait till they start making EVs in a rush and engineering design is rushed..."

I think they have already. During the summer there were reports of the VW !D.3 having software problems, and that VW's response was not to fix them before starting sales, but to sell the cars anyway with some of the software not working.

I don't know how true that was: we'll just have to wait and see till they start UK sales.

Eco boost engine - concrete

Speaking as I find about Ford Ecoboost engines. Well the 1.0 ones anyway. My daughter is on her third one. She does about 10/12k per annum and generally keeps them 2 years or so. The current one, a Focus is really nice and pleasant to drive. It belies the small engine and drives like a larger engined car. She has decided to keep this one for quite some time. A good decision I think given depreciation. At her use and mileage the car should be good for 10 years or more and owe her nothing. She does follow the service regime though, but that is all.

My brother has abandoned Mercs, oceans of bother for such an expensive car. Never liked BM's at all, mainly because of a snotty dealer where he lives. Went back to Audi for a while and now back on Volvo for a smaller car.

Cheers Concrete

Eco boost engine - SLO76
I wrote a long diatribe about this only for the damned website or my phone to delete the lot so I’ll summarise. They’ve a terrible reputation in the trade and for very good reasons. Yes later versions are so far proving more robust but it’s early days yet and few have much mileage on them. Leasing one for 3yrs and 30k does not constitute a real test of the cars longterm reliability and there are far too many cases of woe both online and through word of mouth to welcome this fragile but brilliant little engine back in from the cold just yet. I won’t be recommending one to anyone for now, sometimes manufacturers just get it wrong.
Eco boost engine - Trilogy.

Rather than have a little engine with a turbo, I'd rather have a larger normally aspirated engine e.g. a car such as a Mazda. I always have to buy used, so won't take a risk on a Ecoboost, irrespective of its age.

I've already decided after 5 Peugeot vehicles over 22+ years - due to my recent experience of Peugeot UK customer service over my Puretech problem, I now won't have another PSA product - Toyota next time for me.

New Yaris looks interesting.

Edited by Lee Power on 28/09/2020 at 18:25

Eco boost engine - S40 Man

SWMBO has a 1.0 ecoboost Focus from 2014 is on 74k miles. Not a moments bother with it. Anecdotal but true.

Eco boost engine - drd63

This old chestnut again. There will be plenty of eco boost engines with high mileage and no issues. The early well documented and real issues were fixed years ago.

Ford generally sit well inside the top half of quality and reliability surveys, if this was a continuing issue on the scale some would suggest they would be well towards the bottom of the tables.

I’ve put my money where my mouth is and bought a Puma and expect to keep it for 4 years and c20k miles a year. Seven months in and due to Covid only 7500 miles it’s happily spinning away.

I'm aware of cars as recent as 2016 versions failing.

Ford generally sit well inside the top half of quality and reliability surveys, if this was a continuing issue on the scale some would suggest they would be well towards the bottom of the tables.

This might be the case if the only engine Ford offered in their cars was the 1.0 Ecoboost, but it isn't.

Plus, i'm not sure the age up to which cars are part of these reliability surveys, but i'm guessing not much, if at all, past 3 years. Which is all well and good for the first owner, but what about the 2nd and 3rd?, don't they matter?.

I’ve put my money where my mouth is and bought a Puma and expect to keep it for 4 years and c20k miles a year. Seven months in and due to Covid only 7500 miles it’s happily spinning away.

No you haven't, you have simply bought a brand new car which has a warranty for at least three years. If you do end up keeping the car for a year past the end of its warranty, that would count as "putting your money where your mouth is". But, if you'd bought a 1.0 Ecoboost equipped Ford at three years old with the intention of keeping it for three or four years, that really would be putting your money where your mouth is, and showing the confidence you had in the reliability of the engine.

Eco boost engine - SLO76
Despite the reputation this engine and Ford’s Powershift gearbox have most owners will see no major issues. Even the cars with the worst failure rates will only see maybe 10% suffering catastrophic failures before old age/high mileage so yes most people, especially those who lease/PCP from new and take no risk will have no problems to report. However speak to those in the trade who sell the things and you’ll hear the reality of their longterm reliability which on this engine isn’t good. As said above taking one from new on a PCP or lease which is covered by the manufacturer warranty is a zero risk bet but putting your money into a used 3yr plus example is and this isn’t something any mechanic or honest trader would recommend to you.
Eco boost engine - drd63

SLO, I know you're in the trade but the sheer number of Ford's will always count against them with an issue of this kind. Because they are so ubiquitous everyone in the trade will have come across a horror story even if the percentage of failures is no higher than for other brands.

As for the stats just relating to new cars, well actually no. The Which survey looks at cars 3 to 8 years old. Ford do OK with 34% of cars this age having a fault that needs fixing by a garage. For comparison numbers for others are Toyota 30%, VW 37%, Honda 38%, Volvo 42% and Land Rover 48%. I know stats can be used in all kinds of ways but Which are generally pretty thorough and unbiased.

Eco boost engine - misar

Which are generally pretty thorough and unbiased.

At the risk of taking this thread way off topic I would say that may have been true a very long time ago. These days anyone with knowledge of product areas Which tackle will tell you that their recommendations are often poor or even bizarre.

Eco boost engine - Engineer Andy

At the risk of taking this thread way off topic I would say that may have been true a very long time ago. These days anyone with knowledge of product areas Which tackle will tell you that their recommendations are often poor or even bizarre.

IMHO, Which? have gone right off the boil. I swa this 5-7 years ago with, as you say, some very odd recommendeations for products - cars amongst them. In my view, they are just like most of the mdeia now - just journos with little knowledge (especially technical of insider industry know-how) of the things they write about. In my opinion, they used to very good, but haven't been for a long time now.

Quite a lot, in my view, seems to be now verging on 'activist' or 'student' journalism (much of it clickbaitey), as I have found in many of the previous 'quality' newspapers.

IMHO, car reviews from 'established' media outlets rarely give follow-up reviews when a model is 2 or 3 years old, never mind older than that, or bother to take much notice of the tone and type of reader reviews / complaints. HJ's site has, up until the takeover at least, been one of the few who have.

Eco boost engine - RT

IMHO, Which? have gone right off the boil. I swa this 5-7 years ago with, as you say, some very odd recommendeations for products - cars amongst them. In my view, they are just like most of the mdeia now - just journos with little knowledge (especially technical of insider industry know-how) of the things they write about. In my opinion, they used to very good, but haven't been for a long time now.

Quite a lot, in my view, seems to be now verging on 'activist' or 'student' journalism (much of it clickbaitey), as I have found in many of the previous 'quality' newspapers.

IMHO, car reviews from 'established' media outlets rarely give follow-up reviews when a model is 2 or 3 years old, never mind older than that, or bother to take much notice of the tone and type of reader reviews / complaints. HJ's site has, up until the takeover at least, been one of the few who have.

It's nothing new - I gave up on Which? back in the '80s when I realised their level of inaccuracy with products I knew about.

Eco boost engine - drd63

If you actually read my post you will see that these results were based on models 3 to 8 years old and it’s not a journalists opinion it’s based on owners reporting back.

Edited by Avant on 29/09/2020 at 23:07

Eco boost engine - edlithgow

People above are talking about no issues in 2 years as some kind of endorsement?

Seriously??

Come back when there's a zero on the end.

Eco boost engine - madf

People above are talking about no issues in 2 years as some kind of endorsement?

Seriously??

Come back when there's a zero on the end.

The UK car fleet is approx 32million

8 million cars are sold secondhand every year.

So on average a car is owned for 4 years,

Short termism .. Ours average 12 years..

Eco boost engine - Avant

This is a discussion that comes up regularly. Inevitably there are good and bad experiences of the same model. But perhaps there are some common threads:

1 It's reasonable to expect most cars not to give much trouble in their first three years (unless you buy a Land Rover).

2 The real test is how well a car serves the person who, typically, buys the car at three years old and keeps it for five years. At this point it does seem that - although there are of course plenty of trouble-free Fords, VWs etc - there are some models (notably from Japan and Korea) which are less vulnerable to whatever neglect and abuse may have been suffered during the first three years.

3 This is why some of us on here tend to recommend Japanese or Korean petrol-powerd cars to a potential buyer of a used car seeking advice. That said, in rare cases where you know *for a fact* that the used car you're buying has been looked after, well driven and regularly serviced, you'll probably be all right with most makes and models.

Eco boost engine - daveyK_UK
Ford eco boost problems have been addressed with various revisions of the engine and components.

Have no problem recommending a eco boost from 2018 onwards.
Ford eco boost problems have been addressed with various revisions of the engine and components. Have no problem recommending a eco boost from 2018 onwards.

Do they still have the issue with significantly lower real mpg than the 'official' figures? From memory, that was a chief complaint about them (which presumably could not be fixed by a software patch and needed actual physical design changes) other than the reliability woes.

Far worse of a issue (real mpg) than most other car manufacturers using small capacity turbo petrol engines or naturally aspirated ones. The Real MPG figures for the Fiesta's 1.0T are terrible - 46mpg (70-73% of official).

To be honest, nowadays, I would be more reluctant to buy from makes with a history of problems in the early years of the implementation of new tech, more so than before.

Even with 'run-out' cars, you now have to be careful that they aren't scrimping on the engineering quality, as I believe Nissan did when they replcaed the K11 series Micra back in the early 2000s - I've seen late models and the quality was significantly lower than my 1996 model. Admiteldy, more related to using cheapo plastics and fabrics, but it wouldn't surprise me if other standards slipped.

Eco boost engine - veloceman
I think you’ll find most cars do not achieve anywhere near their quoted mpg.
Again I can only speak of our ownership.
T’other half’s Fiesta 100 EcoBoost. average 51 mpg over a faultless 5yr/51k miles period.
Current Puma mild hybrid is showing 54.2mpg. After only 2 months and 1.6k mikes too soon to judge reliability. Granted these are taken from onboard display. Not really fussed enough to calculate brim to brim.
Far better than most diseasals tho.

Have a look at the real mpg section - the Ecoboost petrols are far worse as regards the actual score (percentage as well) as rivals from other brands.

Ford eco boost problems have been addressed with various revisions of the engine and components. Have no problem recommending a eco boost from 2018 onwards.

Where do you get your confidence from as they are most only two years old and therefore have yet to prove themselves as being long term reliable

Eco boost engine - drd63

Using that logic no one would ever buy anything new. But to answer your confidence question. The issues on early models were identified and a solution was found and applied.

Using that logic no one would ever buy anything new. But to answer your confidence question. The issues on early models were identified and a solution was found and applied.

Not really - the ECO boost engine has a poor history so how can anyone be convinced, as of yet, that the issue were fully resolved in 2018. Any changes they have implement have not proven themselves over the long term

Other manufactures have reputations that inspire confidence in their engineering

Eco boost engine - drd63

Oh I give up, my point is very simple. If everyone waited to buy something until it had a proven long term record nobody would buy anything.

Eco boost engine - Metropolis.
To be honest in that scenario we would all just buy Toyotas.
Eco boost engine - RT
To be honest in that scenario we would all just buy Toyotas.

And turn a blind eye to airbag and throttle issues ?

Eco boost engine - Metropolis.
lol, touché but yes.
Eco boost engine - SLO76

Oh I give up, my point is very simple. If everyone waited to buy something until it had a proven long term record nobody would buy anything.

I don’t buy or recommend anything that hasn’t a proven record for reliability unless I’m buying/renting from new and plan on offloading it before the warranty is up. It does mean I’m missing out on the latest technology perhaps but my logic is that I’m also missing out on the possibility of a crippling bill for a major failure. Fingers crossed my logic holds and the older D5 Volvo I’ve just bought proves more robust than the later 4cyl models.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/09/2020 at 19:51

I've read about people having problems more than once with Ecoboost engine. Anyway, plenty more fish in the sea instead. If you like it buy it, if you don't just buy something else.