What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - davethesteam

I have a Niro PHEV with which I am delighted . I charge at home at a cost of ca 15p per kwH.

I chose the PHEV because of Range Anxiety of pure EV's. I am further encouraged that my choice was the correct one now but purely on the cost of charging at the likes of service stations.

The latest figure I have seen is 70p per kwH, which, by my reckoning makes and EV about 30% more expensive to fuel than a hydrocarbon car.

My reasoning is:

Battery capacity on my PHEV - roundly 7kWh. Cost of home charging = 7 x 15p = £1.05 for 30 miles.

Petrol cost for 30miles £1.11 per litre - @ 40mpg = approx - approx £3.75

Charging cost for 7kwh @ 70p per KwH = £4.90.

Perhaps this should be a campaign if the UK govt wishes to make all go electric?

Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - daveyjp

No different to expensive petrol at service stations, its a free market economy.

If its too much don't pay it and eventually the provider will change their ways.

Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - Terry W

If you buy a PHEV with a 7kw capacity and an electric range of 25-30 miles, I can only assume that the choice was made because you assumed:

- most use is local with recharging at home

- longer journeys will be done on fossil fuels

The proposition that on a longer journey one would stop every 30 miles to recharge the batteries is absurd.

I haven't looked at typical per kwh charging costs - 70p is clearly excessive and you have a choice with a PHEV to simply drive on by!

Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - Falkirk Bairn

Have you investgated a smart meter to charge the car in the middle of the night.

3 or 4p per kilowatt and many say they pay even less.

A fiend has a Tesla 3 - charges at his work during the week - Fuel = free to him.

Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - Wee Willie Winkie

70p per kw? Wow. Tesla superchargers are 24p per kwh. Most others (Ecotricity, Pod Point etc) vary between 15-30p per kw.

Octopus Go is a tariff that charges 5p per kw between midnight and 4 30am. Their Agile tariff sometimes even pays you to charge....

Edited by DieselBoy on 08/09/2020 at 21:13

Kia Niro EV - Cost of Charging EV's away from home - Mike Lyons

A fiend has a Tesla 3 - charges at his work during the week - Fuel = free to him.

My employer also has EV chargers - but they're not free !

I believe it's a taxable benefit

You have to buy a fixed-price token for use - not sure if there's any limit on how many kWH you get for that.

There's also (normally) more EV cars on site than chargers, so you have to get in early if you want an EV charging space.