What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 3 Series - What to get after a BMW 335d X Drive? - _G_
The lease on my 335d is coming to an end. It’s been a phenomenal car. Masses of torque, a frugal engine and, satisfactory abilities all round. I am stuck on what to go for next. The torque was addictive but I also want something similarly economical. Any suggestions welcome. Budget would be £400 p/m with a £7,000 deposit. Thanks
BMW 3 Series - What to get after a BMW 335d X Drive? - SLO76
I hate contract lease or PCP, the thought of paying a car forever more without ever owning it horrifies me. For that budget you could borrow £22,000 over 5yrs at 3% APR for £393 per month. Include that £7000 deposit and you’re up at £29000 which is plenty to buy a good used car that you’ll have equity in from day one and after 3-5yrs will be offer you a substantial amount of money towards the next car further lifting your budget. I wonder what you could buy outright for say £30,000 which would push you slightly over £400 a month.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191213531...8

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200821275...6

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200801196...7

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200109598...6

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200213728...7

Edited by SLO76 on 03/09/2020 at 22:58

Thank you. We’ve always owned one car outright. The mortgage has always come first. What’s left over has gone on overpayments. What’s left after that has gone towards a nice car. It was my first leade and felt like a cheap way to having something nice. Warranty, no need to MOT etc.

That’s a great selection you’ve put up. Having a look through those. Volvo did cross my mind.

Edited by _G_ on 04/09/2020 at 07:31

BMW 3 Series - What to get after a BMW 335d X Drive? - Avant

I take SLO's point but it depends on your personal view. I use PCPs and it's never worried me that I don't own the cars I drive. After all, for much of my life I didn't own our house in legal terms.

If you've loved your 335d the obvious answer is another BMW, as in SLO's first few suggestions. But tell us whether that's what you want or would you like a change? Some people want a different experience however much they like the car they've got; others stay loyal to a brand for years - particularly Toyota and Skoda drivers.

I like the way a BMW drives. I have been through the VAG group with disappointment from being stranded on the roadside thrice and diesel gate. Our Mercedes C200 petrol is nice but that belongs to the better half.

What I would change? The suspension had a bit of nose dive when making progress. Having test driven a G20 330i that issue has been resolved. I love surround view cameras. I never dinged a wheel during my ownership.

I’m not caught up in the absurdity of chasing the latest greatest car. My budget can stretch to 20k and I was thinking of a pre-loved F30 335d. I prefer a firm ride to a wallowing one.

We live in Wales and the 335d made mince of all the steep slopes/gradients whilst being shy of 45mpg.

I think about it and wonder whether the 320d would cut it for me? Guess I need to drive one. The Focus ST crossed my mind as an option too.

Edited by _G_ on 04/09/2020 at 07:31

BMW 3 Series - What to get after a BMW 335d X Drive? - craig-pd130
We live in Wales and the 335d made mince of all the steep slopes/gradients whilst being shy of 45mpg. I think about it and wonder whether the 320d would cut it for me? Guess I need to drive one. The Focus ST crossed my mind as an option too.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was torn between the 330d and 335d. He eventually went for the 330d as it was a fair bit cheaper, and has never felt short-changed. The torque curves of the two engines are not that far apart, the 330d's curve still looks like Table Mountain with 420+ft-lb from 1,500rpm to 3,500rpm, which makes it utterly effortless and still stupidly quick whenever you want.

Like you, he still gets nearly 50mpg on a run.

BMW 3 Series - What to get after a BMW 335d X Drive? - KBB

Have you looked at the Kia Stinger? It's a bit lary for me personally but I've read of a few people who have swapped to one from an Octavia VRS and been really pleased with them.

Here's one for £21k, 2019 with 17,000 miles.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008252922270

On the Volvo front, I drove an R Design V60 recently (estate version of the S60) and I didn't like the seats. I found that the seat extension section was narrower than the main section of the seat and was pressing into the sides of my legs. You can actually see it in the photos of the ones SLO has posted.

Drove it back to back with another V60 in the Inscription trim with the light leather and sunroof and that was lovely (so lovely that I bought it, just waiting to go and collect) whereas the R Design felt like a cave with black leather and black headlining.

Handling might be a bit more toward the "comfort" end than your after though. It wasn't wallowy (my Superb felt like a barge when I got back in) but nor was it firm. It felt tight through corners and not much roll but I haven't ever driven a 3 series to compare. Worth a try, however the S60 only came out last year so you won't get one for £20k. Here's one for £22,500:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/201912205491307