Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - _

From the KIA Forum

www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/bang.57156/#post-3...5

Driving along merrily at 60 mph, go downhill on the overrun and this loud grinding sound starts, put brakes on and it stops, go to the other side and start climbing grinding starts again loud bang from the boot area ( where the 48-volt batteries are ) then the engine locks up. Called RAC who recovered me to Chaulk at Yeovil, taxi home and Europcar tomorrow. The thoughts ar the electric motor on the front of the engine has seized snapping the timing chain, they say they will look properly on Tuesday and it will need a new engine, I have said if that's the case I want another car as it's only done 7000 miles.

Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - Engineer Andy

Doesn't sound promising for a new model. I presume this model is a completely different system spec to the 'proper' hybrids like the Ioniq and Niro?

Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - _

Edited by _ORB_ on 02/09/2020 at 14:59

Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - Zippy123

Doesn't sound promising for a new model. I presume this model is a completely different system spec to the 'proper' hybrids like the Ioniq and Niro?

AIUI, mild hybrids do not achieve any mileage without a ICE running at the same time. They supplement power when needed for acceleration only so quite different from the normal EV and hybrid cars.

Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - Metropolis.
If there is a breakdown top trumps (maybe a good topic for a separate thread?) this one has got to be up there. New gearbox might be needed too by the sounds of it from later on in the link.
Kia Sportage mild Hybrid information - engine problems. (NOT my car) - craig-pd130

On the BMW plug-in hybrids, the combined starter/generator/mild hybrid motor is connected to the ICE by a heavy-duty belt, presumably as it's the best method for the combined unit to fulfil all its various roles.

it would be interesting to know if Kia/Hyundai use a chain drive that cannot snap or slip.