What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - _

Now up to 3800 miles and nothing to report again. Everything works fine

Boringly reassuring..

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Trilogy.

I think a weekly report would be appropriate. We really do need to be kept up to date with the trials and joys of your Kia.

How about daily?, but if i forget will people be cross.?

I did think about a video, but I am not photogenic in any way and everyone knows what a kia looks like.

Edited by _ORB_ on 12/08/2020 at 13:02

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - SLO76
I love to hear of trouble free motoring, more so if it was in any way bought based on any advice I offer. I’m always quizzing people I’ve sold car to or advised in regards to how their motors are getting on. Long may the Kia continue, it was a wise buy with long service in mind. I doubt anything major will fail in the first decade if looked after as well as I expect you would. The only thing I’d do if you plan on keeping it longterm would be to rust proof the underside. Underbody rot is the usual road to the scrap yard for Kia’s around 10-12yrs old. The engines will still be running sweetly on their way there.

I don't think I will be worried about the rust. This is probably the my last purchase. I'll stop driving by then.. When we are in the middle East we have a car but take taxis because of parking. Airport into Amman is only around £20 and less hassle.

Beginning to think of same here

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - targen

In 11 years at a Kia dealer weve never had one fail the MOT on body work corrosion... I think youre thinking of 10 year old cars , 10 years ago.... in fact , I disagree entirely with your statement..the most likely thing to "kill" any modern car is the number of sensors etc on the vehicle to get it to meet current , and future , emission standards...at , say , 10 years or 100k miles old , ALL modern cars will have so many emission control systems failing they will be uneconomic to repair. Any current diesel car will have approximately 12 sensors just in the exhaust system...NOX , CO2 , adblue , EGR valve , DPF filter , catalytic convertor.... all fine when new , but a nightmare as they age.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - SLO76
“ In 11 years at a Kia dealer weve never had one fail the MOT on body work corrosion”

Possibly because most older examples aren’t serviced by the main dealer but certainly up here on the West coast of Scotland rot is usually what sends most Kia’s to the scrap yard. Many older examples are also neglected, people on a budget buy them on price and then don’t maintain them. I’ve lost count of the number of older Kia’s and Hyundai’s I’ve viewed for people which I’ve had to tell them to walk from because of serious corrosion which was far beyond the equivalent aged Honda or Toyota for example.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/08/2020 at 16:01

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - targen

Understand that...older ones werent anywhere near as well protected as current models , which is true for all brands.... recently Kia issued a recall for all old ceeds (2007 to 2011) for potential corrosion issues with subframes , suspension arms etc... weve seen about 50 so far , but not yet found ANY parts showing excess corrosion.. I understand dealers in the North have found more issues...one question I would ask...how many other manufacturers would be remotely interested in carrying out this kind of work FREE of charge on its models up to 14 years old??

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Penumbra

_ORB_

May I ask mpg you're getting especially round town?

You certainly may..

Minimum 30mpg but those are 4-6 mile urban trips to take and collect swmbo from the hospital.

It is actually no worse than the Venga was.. On long runs A12-M25 etc it does better, bit my overall is pretty well sticking about 37.99 according to my brim to brims, (stop at first click when full) and noted in my little black book.

Off to Isle of Wight this week to see an old friend. so A12 M25 A3 should be fun...

Cheaper to drive 3 adult train tickets using appropriate discount cards off peak over £265..

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Penumbra

I could live with that round town. Perhaps a bit disappointing for longer trips but I'm sure the missus can be persuaded. Is yours auto or manual?

I take it - from the updates - you're happy with the car in general eg comfort, refinement etc

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Avant

Manual as in the thread title!

An overall 38 mpg sounds pretty creditable given that a lot of the trips are local ones. And it's quite a lot of car for a 1.6 engine. Hopefully if you fill up before the trip to the IoW, you'll see something with a 4 in it.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Zippy123

Manual as in the thread title!

An overall 38 mpg sounds pretty creditable given that a lot of the trips are local ones. And it's quite a lot of car for a 1.6 engine. Hopefully if you fill up before the trip to the IoW, you'll see something with a 4 in it.

I had the sister car a 1.7TDI Tucson auto and was lucky to get 43 on a run. I would be impressed if you can get low 40's in a petrol - and a little jealous. :-)

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Zippy123

ORB, I am sure you are aware, but if not...

Dartford Crossing Tolls - an account saves having to faff around to make payment once you have arrived / returned, especially if tired.

50MPH average speed camera at Dartford both ways.

On the northbound approach to the crossing there are now very small average speed cameras from a couple of junctions back.

When joining the M3 southbound, I think there is still a set of average speed cameras.

ORB, I am sure you are aware, but if not...

Dartford Crossing Tolls - an account saves having to faff around to make payment once you have arrived / returned, especially if tired.

Have an account!

50MPH average speed camera at Dartford both ways.

Sat nav and passenger seat alerts switched on.. 50 limit.. 50 limit... etc

On the northbound approach to the crossing there are now very small average speed cameras from a couple of junctions back.

aware.... (but thanks)

When joining the M3 southbound, I think there is still a set of average speed cameras.

No M3 route was... A3....

Latest update is as usual, nothing to report, Now at the grand total of 4326 miles after 6 months.

Does exactly the job we wanted it for without fuss and bother.

Last fill up Brim to brim , 400 miles about 50% urban works out at 35.8 isn MPG

still happy with that

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - VengaPete

Nice diary ORB. An auto Sportage might be on our list when we change so interested to read your findings over longer term ownership.

I'm also on the Kia UK Forum (2012vengaman) and it seems the mild hybrid Sportage is starting to give some catastrophic failures at low miles.

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/bang.57156/

Nice diary ORB. An auto Sportage might be on our list when we change so interested to read your findings over longer term ownership.

I'm also on the Kia UK Forum (2012vengaman) and it seems the mild hybrid Sportage is starting to give some catastrophic failures at low miles.

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/bang.57156/

I posted it here..

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=136363

I'm littlebluerio..

Rio, then venga, then a mistake MGZS chinoiseries... then sportage.

Edited by _ORB_ on 12/09/2020 at 17:03

With 140 miles of local crawling around West london and Bayswater last weekend plus the roundtrip fron Colchester, latest MPG is 35.5 which for me is ok.

Latest update for the car.

Now 5700 miles and 8 months on....

Nothing to report.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - badbusdriver

Latest update for the car.

Nothing to report.

Surprise surprise!, :-)

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - Trilogy.

Nothing to report.

That's how cars should be.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6 speed manual - Latest Update - movilogo

I am on my 2nd Kia Ceed [2014 DCT petrol] which has now covered 52000 miles. My previous car was also 1st gen Ceed, which lasted 88k miles before written off in an accident.

When I changed to current Ceed in 2015, I wanted a Sportage but there was no petrol auto model available. After driving the manual Sportage and automatic Ceed, I liked the auto better so ended up buying Ceed.

What I find odd with Kia that they have some nice models like Sedona, Sonet and Seltos in other parts of the world but not available in UK.