What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - Lockwud

Hello, looking to buy a cheap reliable car. Ive just sold my car to buy a campervan due to working away a lot and I'll need a car for daily trips to the shops and to cover probably 7k of motorway miles per year ( two 90 mile trips per week)

The Toyota yaris has been banded around a lot when I've been asking people in the know. Is there any known issues with the 1.0, 1.3, or 1.5 litre petrol engines? I'm not sure the milage I will be doing will justify buying a diesel.

Want something cheap to buy, cheap to run and reliable. I'm looking to spend under 3k, preferable closer to 2. I've found a pretty decent 1.5 petrol on a 2002 plate woth 30k miles for just under 3k.

Edit : also wondering about the 1.4 Honda jazz (2010ish), they're about 4k woth similar milage.

Thanks for any advice / other recommendations.

Edited by Lockwud on 11/08/2020 at 05:03

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - nellyjak

There's be more choice on the 1 and 1.3 versions...all reliable with proven longevity.

My wife is on her 4th consecutive Yaris....ALL of them have been utterly reliable...they just seem to keep going.

You can't really go far wrong with the Jazz too....good little car.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - Avant

As you're going to do some longer trips as well as shopping, go for the bigger-engined Yaris. It's a lot more lively, no less reliable and probably not much less economical, as you don't need to floor it to make good progress.

My elder daughter had four 1.3 Yarises in a row and all were fine. Recently she was less impressed with the 1.5 on a test drive before settling fgor a Fabia.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - daveyK_UK
The 1.0 Yaris is economical and fine to drive but the 1.3 and 1.5 both drive a lot nicer (depending on what year of Yaris you get).
Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - SLO76
They’re all pretty robust but the later 3cyl 1.0 Daihatsu motor is known for timing chain issues if neglected. The Toyota 4cyl petrols are as reliable as any small supermini gets but at this money I’d widen the net to include others. The Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2 and Honda Jazz all in petrol form make good cheap runabouts too. Buy on condition and history over anything else at this money.
Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - madf

If 2002, CHECK for RUST... at the rear and the inner sills.

Writeoffs occurring now ..due to rust - rear frames, mounting points in rear suspension and body, cross member..

Inner sills at rear.. rear wheelarch at sill/wheelarch meeting point.

Repair cost high, instant MOT fail..

Thanks everyone for the information. I will no longer need the vehicle for longer trips, it will just be for a run around town vehicle. I still might look at the 1.5 as it will be nipper seen as though you haven't mentioned that they suffer from any reliability issues

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - bathtub tom

you haven't mentioned that they suffer from any reliability issues

The Australians used to say: "If you want to go out in the bush, take a Land Rover, if you want to come back, take a Toyota".

They may be boring, anodyne, dull, bland or insipid, but what do you want?

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris, which engine? - SLO76

Thanks everyone for the information. I will no longer need the vehicle for longer trips, it will just be for a run around town vehicle. I still might look at the 1.5 as it will be nipper seen as though you haven't mentioned that they suffer from any reliability issues

Buy on condition and history over a few extra bhp at this money. Don’t walk past a tidy 1.0 to buy a tatty 1.5. Though if enjoyment is a factor you’d be better with a Mazda 2. The 1.5 Sport is a very pleasant little car to drive and own.

Cheers

I hadn't even considered the mazda 2

Edited by Lockwud on 16/08/2020 at 19:30