What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric Motor help - blackyman7

i am currently working on seeing if a piece of equipment that is currently powered by a gas motor can be run off an electric motor being powered by a honda Eu2000i generator using an ac to dc convertor that goes to 2 12V batteries connected in series (motor runs of 24V) that pick up load spikes. The equipment weighs around 400 lbs and can move an additional 1000 lbs. The required specs to move this piece of equipment are 275 ft-lbs of torque and it needs to move at walking pace or about 3 mph. My question being after days of looking there do not seem to be any motors on the market that will output the required torque and rpm to move the vehicle, even using gear trains, so is this a feasable option (if so what are some motor suggestions), or should other options be considered.

Electric Motor help - RT

i am currently working on seeing if a piece of equipment that is currently powered by a gas motor can be run off an electric motor being powered by a honda Eu2000i generator using an ac to dc convertor that goes to 2 12V batteries connected in series (motor runs of 24V) that pick up load spikes. The equipment weighs around 400 lbs and can move an additional 1000 lbs. The required specs to move this piece of equipment are 275 ft-lbs of torque and it needs to move at walking pace or about 3 mph. My question being after days of looking there do not seem to be any motors on the market that will output the required torque and rpm to move the vehicle, even using gear trains, so is this a feasable option (if so what are some motor suggestions), or should other options be considered.

Go on then, spam it up with the same post but with malicious links.

Electric Motor help - focussed

You need to work forwards from "How much power does the gas motor deliver to do the work now"

The Honda 2000i generator will not deliver 3 hp of power.

(Remember - power is the rate of doing work)

2000 (watts) / 736( watt equivalent to 1hp) = 2,7 hp available ignoring electrical and frictional losses through the inverter from AC to DC and then to the batteries and then the motor to the gearbox.

You will probably only get maybe about 2 hp of useful work delivered.

Why not just use the generator to power a 230 volt motor through a reduction gearbox to do whatever it is you want to do?

I'm playing a straight bat on this one as it does not look or smell of canned spiced ham - yet!

Edited by focussed on 25/07/2020 at 18:35

Electric Motor help - FiestaOwner

I'm playing a straight bat on this one as it does not look or smell of canned spiced ham - yet!

Someone asked this very same question on Reddit, 2 years ago. What a coincidence.

www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/8oi4z9/elect.../

Electric Motor help - Avant

I agree - same as 2 years ago so it looks suspect. Thread closed.