What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Kyle H

How do you find the car?

2017 (17) MAZDA 3 2.0 SE-L Nav [Hatchback]

Just bought this^ -- 2 litre petrol engine, upgrading from a 2007 ford fiesta zetec diesel with 60 something BHP. This Mazda has 120, how different will it be to drive? Collecting saturday, really excited! :D

Edited by Kyle H on 22/07/2020 at 18:18

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - FP

You've bought a car you didn't test-drive? Not even the same model?

I doubt anyone can answer your question - it's a personal thing.

I hope it turns out well for you.

No I've just trusted reviews that I've read. the cars in birmingham and I live in cardiff so - collecting on saturday. Ok thanks :>

Edited by Kyle H on 22/07/2020 at 20:40

When I said that I hoped it turns out well, I meant it, but it seems incredibly risky not to drive a car to see if it suits you, and not to inspect closely the particular vehicle you're presumably spending quite a bit of your hard-earned on.

Please tell me you're close to Birmingham so you won't have far to go if there's a problem.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Graham567
He says he lives in Cardiff.......
MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - bazza

The petrol 120 bhp engine will be hugely more refined than your diesel, and very different to drive. You will find you miss the instant low down pull of the diesel and you'll need to use more revs and hang onto the gears a bit more to make decent progress. However all this will be done in a quiet, refined manner making for a pleasant experience. There is no turbo on this model, so it's not as torquey as similar sized cars such as focus, golf, Leon etc, however it's still an excellent choice, should be trouble free, best of luck with it!

"He says he lives in Cardiff.......

Sorry - missed that. So that's a round trip of about 250 miles.

Well, I wouldn't take the risk. But it may work out.

Edited by FP on 22/07/2020 at 22:16

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - thunderbird

Just over 2 years ago we were replacing our 12 year old diesel Focus and it was going to be a petrol because of the lower mileage we were doing. Looked at all the usual suspects which included the Mazda 3. At the time the model had either just been replaced or was on model run out and there were some staggering deals. But it fell well short of the 12 year old Focus in too many respects.

First was rear seat space and access, very cramped. Then there was the view form the mirror out the letter box rear window, very poor. The boot was tiny with not even a space saver, think it was over £400 and took over a large amount of the limited boot space. Not going well and then we drove it. Considering the Focus was 12 years old with over 100,000 miles we expected the Mazda to be wonderful, wrong. It had a very hard ride and was very claustrophobic. Despite the engine being a 2 litre petrol with more power than our Focus 1.6 diesel it was very flat and even if you gave it full throttle it was still not great, just noisy. very disappointing.

We bought a Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T for less money (also on run out). The car ticked all the boxes and drove like a new car should. None of the issues we noted with the Mazda.

That is why you should have a good test drive before you buy, making a mistake will cost huge £££££'s to sort.

Would suggest you try and cancel or drive one locally then decide.

At the time the Nissan had a 4 blob WhatCar rating, the Mazda only had 3 blobs.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Engineer Andy

Just over 2 years ago we were replacing our 12 year old diesel Focus and it was going to be a petrol because of the lower mileage we were doing. Looked at all the usual suspects which included the Mazda 3. At the time the model had either just been replaced or was on model run out and there were some staggering deals. But it fell well short of the 12 year old Focus in too many respects.

First was rear seat space and access, very cramped. Then there was the view form the mirror out the letter box rear window, very poor. The boot was tiny with not even a space saver, think it was over £400 and took over a large amount of the limited boot space. Not going well and then we drove it. Considering the Focus was 12 years old with over 100,000 miles we expected the Mazda to be wonderful, wrong. It had a very hard ride and was very claustrophobic. Despite the engine being a 2 litre petrol with more power than our Focus 1.6 diesel it was very flat and even if you gave it full throttle it was still not great, just noisy. very disappointing.

We bought a Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T for less money (also on run out). The car ticked all the boxes and drove like a new car should. None of the issues we noted with the Mazda.

That is why you should have a good test drive before you buy, making a mistake will cost huge £££££'s to sort.

Would suggest you try and cancel or drive one locally then decide.

At the time the Nissan had a 4 blob WhatCar rating, the Mazda only had 3 blobs.

For me, after testing one it just didn't feel that much better (despite having a 2L engine to my existing car's 1.6L), and I can attest to the firm ride for the (Sport) models shod on 18in rims.

Interior space has always been an issue on the post-Ford Mazdas as well. I think they've lost a LOT of business because they a) didn't go the small petrol-turbo route and b) prioritised the styling of the car over practicality. It's a shame, as the ergonomics (including seating comfort/driving position) have alawys been very good.

The latest one (gen-4) is a great looking car, but its long bonnet means space on the interior is not amongst the class leaders, nor is boot size or usefulness of the fastback (small boot opening, as my gen-1 car has, but without the annoying spare tyre issue).

They should be up there competing with the Focus (things were going that way with the gen-1 car) and Golf, and yet...

I don't think the way Mazda UK are set up helps either - a far more limited range of cars on offer than in North America and Down Under, patchy quality (highly variable) of their main dealer network despite years of negative feedback from owners. If you get the right car and have a decent dealer nearby (perfectly possible, as I did), then great, otherwise, I'd be wary.

Many Sport (18in low profile tyres - hard ride) and diesel models end up back on the forecourts within 2 years because owners just can't get on with them and their 'issues' (unless you do long trips most of time, DON'T ever buy a diesel Mazda).

The more sensible petrol SE-L mid range models rarely come back - most are either genuine PXes when upgrading to a newer model at 3yo or something bigger, or ex-demo cars etc. I suspect some generally do for the main reason you said - a lack of grunt for a 2.0 (SA-G) petrol - but then people should know that after a test drive.

Time will tell if the all-new SA-X petrol engine system will make the difference needed performance wise to up sales. I'm not convinced yet - it seems to be similar to a VTEC plus system - to get the performance, you need to give it a lot of gas.

More people these days seem to prefer the mid-range punch of the small-capacity turbo petrols like the VAG 1.4 TSI and the like, giving decent performance without the need to thrash the car at high revs (noisy).

No I've just trusted reviews that I've read. the cars in birmingham and I live in cardiff so - collecting on saturday. Ok thanks :>

Surely there must've been cars in Wales closer to you to test drive? Buying a used car unseen and untested is a BAD idea. Whatever the car or make, you check it out first, and even for a new car, you check it physically for comfort, room and do a test drive.

Note that I'm not putting you off a Mazda, having owned a Mazda3 from new from early 2006 and have been very happy with it. At least you bought the SE-L, which is shod on sensible 16in tyres and is the best value spec.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/07/2020 at 09:21

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - London calling

I bought a Mazda 3 in 2016 but only kept it for about 9 months.. IMO great looking car and interior felt plush and well put together. The gearbox was smooth and just as well as due to no turbo there isn’t a lot of torque so a lot of gear changes are needed, that was the reason I changed it, wanted a more relaxing drive...

Also the body panels seemed very thin (skyactive low weight ?) and as a result the body dented easily, stone chips etc....

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - catsdad

These are good, well-regarded cars. All may be well. Is it a Mazda approved car?

More people are buying blind at the moment due to the virus and, although I wouldn’t do so, it’s not necessarily a disaster. If the car is OK when you see it, the main risk is if you later find a fault that’s not covered by Mazda warranty (For example a poor previous body repair).Then you need to take it back to the supplying dealer for repair.

If you are prepared to take that risk then it’s all down to how the car appears on Saturday. Presumably you have the right to cancel after inspection and you should be prepared to do so if it’s not right. If it’s a reputable dealer they will honour that rejection although they may mutter. It may be that distance selling regulations help you here but it’s not an area I know well. Just be aware the dealer may register and tax it to you in advance so undoing that is a a faff and.cost for them.

Hopefully you will end up with a great car and all will be well.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - barney100

I've bought two cars blind from a well known mail dealer but knew the models well. it was on the proviso that if I had the slightest qualm the deal was off. This was due to the cars being sourced from other nationwide branches and both cars were exactly as advertised.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - mcb100

Distance Selling Regulations will come in useful if the car isn't exactly as described, and you will have a seven day cooling off period from the point of placing the order to cancel and obtain a refund (assuming it has come from a dealer).

Edited by mcb100 on 23/07/2020 at 12:15

I do hope we haven't crushed Kyle's enthusiasm for his new car. I hope it all works out and that he reports back on how it went.

But there are lessons to be learned for when he buys his next car.

So that's a round trip of about 250 miles.

Good news. Travel via the M50 and city centre to city centre its only 110 miles, a round trip of 220 miles.

Hope that makes you feel better.

Surely there must've been cars in Wales closer to you to test drive?

Just looked on Autrader. There are 2 17 plate 2.0 petrol hatches within a 20 mile radius of Cardiff. Not a lot I admit but both are low miles (under 37,000), one has only 14,500 miles and seems to be a good spec.

https://www.motordepot.co.uk/used/cars/mazda-3-20-se-l-nav-bj17vom

this is the one i bought

https://www.motordepot.co.uk/used/cars/mazda-3-20-se-l-nav-bj17vom

this is the one i bought

I see the tyres and brake pads have MOT advisories. Hope they are sorting those before you collect it.

I will check back in and let you guys know! Collecting Tuesday now!

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - JohnX
Looks like this question was meant for me.

Two months back(after spending about three months searching for the car, as there are only a dozen Mazda 3 MPS left on sale(production stopped in 2011) and it is very rare to find an unmolested example) I ended up reserving a Mazda 3 MPS from a dealer in Gateshead and went straight up paid the balance and drove it all the way back to London.

That’s a round trip distance of about 530 miles.
Now the 3 MPS is a 2.3 L engine with about 270 BHP and a 0 to 60 time of approximately six seconds(Mazda sold the engine to Ford in 2012 and so no longer found in Mazdas)

But this weird partnership meant that the MPS has Fords patented front heated windscreen and a few other Ford touches.

I’ve had quite a few cars including a 3 L Audi A6 and a 5.6L Patrol(my current) but this little machine is an absolute cracker of a car and would easily rate as my top drivers car in the city to date.
Handling is fantastic and its first off the traffic lights.
It wipes away the smiles of almost every other BMW or Mercedes (except for the M cars it will trash almost every other car at the traffic lights!)

Think the 2 litre engine is almost as good but one thing is certain and that is that it is a drivers delight.

Also it’s an absolutely fantastic looking car and thanks to the British preoccupation with certain brand names ,the Mazda 3 slips undert the radar and is a superb bargain by any measure

And I was also initially hesitant by Internet reviews about how “hard” the ride is.
Nothing could be further from the truth-my Audi A6 S line was hard but this is just the right combination and is certainly not a stiff bone jarring suspension yet holds the road like a suction cup on wheels
Enjoy the Mazda!

Edited by JohnX on 24/07/2020 at 21:38

it's been great so far! only marginally less good on fuel on the motorway than my 1.4 diesel fiesta, i still get around 55mpg on the motorway. averaging 42 on my daily commute which involves 30/40 roads / dual carraigeway and motorway driving. it's very nippy and i can usually get away from the lights first unless there's a big boy nearby. very spacious and used it to move my stuff to my new flat, was great. heated seats are loveeely and the dual zone air con has been nice as me and my friends are differently insulated i guess hahaha

Very pleased to hear it's worked out well so far.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - nailit

. heated seats are loveeely

Blimey, in July and August? Where do you live? The Artic

Nice to hear someone who has positive views on a Mazda.

"Nice to hear someone who has positive views on a Mazda."

I have extremely positive views of my CX-5. It's the nicest car I've had, in 58 years of driving. Not a ball of fire with the 2.0 petrol engine, but so relaxing to drive.

As for heated seats - I have those. I never use mine, but SWMBO loves hers. Fortunately there are separate switches.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - SLO76
Can’t really go wrong with one of these, they’re an excellent used buy.
MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Avant

Thanks very much for coming back and telling us about it, Kyle.

That 2.0 Mazda engine, with most of the action at the higher end of the rev range, clearly suits some driving styles and not others. Hondas tend to be like that, and also the succession of Minis that my wife had which I was never very fond of, although she liked them.

My ideal is plenty of torque for low-down pull, but also a bit of oomph further up, e.g. for regaining speed on a motorway. Both our (petrol) Audis have that, and so does the 1.0 Skoda Fabia that my daughter now has.

Pulling power as much as economy was what persuaded many of us to go diesel in the 1990s. Our first diesel was my wife's Peugeot 205 GRD - superior on every way to the petrol 205, whose engine was derived from that ghastly old Simca nail of the 1970s.

What goes around comes around - the efficiency of modern petrol engines, particularly in smaller cars, is now converting people back from diesel as much as the (debatable) environmental considerations.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - moward

Interesting statement but not one that I can completely agree with. I own a Mazda 6 Tourer, with the 165 engine variant and my personal experience is that it is a very tractable engine, with a flat torque curve.

Even at idle (>1000 rpm), the clutch can simply be slipped out to get rolling with no need to touch the throttle. It’s also feasible to cruise at 30mph in 6th gear and still be able to accelerate (albeit slowly).

My entire commute which covers Motorway, fast A road and back B roads can be undertaken without ever having to venture into the upper half of the rev range. Although I still do from time to time :-).

P.s. Yay my first post, been a long time reader but never a contributor. Never too late to start.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Andrew-T

Our first diesel was my wife's Peugeot 205 GRD - superior on every way to the petrol 205, whose engine was derived from that ghastly old Simca nail of the 1970s.

Avant, you may be thinking of the X-series engines in the early 205s. From 1988 onwards the T-series took over, and continued in the 306 and 206. But the 205 D-turbo was better still ....

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Avant

Good to hear from you, Moward. Interesting - the Mazda I tried was a 120, and the comments about lack of torque in road tests have I think also been about the 120. The 165 may well be different and I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Andrew - SWMBO's second 205 was a turbo - a Sceptre - and it was even better than the GRD. She later had a 206 turbodiesel - lovely engine but the rest of the car was a disappointment. We haven't had a Peugeot in the family since, and judging by the 3008 PHEV I tried the other day, we won't be having one any time soon either.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - misar

There is absolutely no doubt that Mazda NA petrol engines lack torque compared with turbo engines of similar power. However, Moward may be interested in my experience with the current Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.0L M Hybrid (122 PS). I had an earlier petrol 3 (150 PS) without M Hybrid and the difference in tractability is quite noticeable.

Like his diesel it will comfortably cruise at 30 mph in 6th gear (1000 rpm) and for normal driving in traffic I rarely feel the need to exceed 4000 rpm (~ 60 mph in 3rd and ~75 mph in 4th). In fact much of the time the revs stay below 3000. Obviously all of this is with a lightly loaded car.

In my view with all the emissions issues diesel cars will probably disappear even sooner than the petrol variety.

Thanks Avant. I am led to believe that all variants of the Skyactiv Gs (120, 145 and 165) all use the same physical hardware, the difference is only in the ECU software tune. Hence a 120 can be converted to a 165 with software alone.

I believe Mazda achieve this by limiting the throttle opening for the detuned variants, please don’t quote me on it but I think is 70% for the 120 and 90% for the 145. Hence the reason the 120 could feel breathless is simply because the throttle is never fully open even when your foot is fully down.

Hi Misar, I am interesting in knowing your thoughts on the mild hybrid variants, as one may feature in my missus car at some point in the future. Also my engine runs on petroleum :-). I simply wouldn’t tolerate Mazda diesel unreliability.

Your gearing sounds similar to mine, 30 mph would be about 1100 rpm in 6th, 60mph is a little over 2000 (27mph/1000 rpm) and 6500 rpm is about 175 mph (in theory).

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Trilogy.

A shame Mazda don't sell their 2.5 engine in the UK. Perhaps the emissions are too high?

A shame Mazda don't sell their 2.5 engine in the UK. Perhaps the emissions are too high?

Very likely the old EU Corporate CO2 'limits' and financial penalties - the way Mazda have gone as regards their engines is that they perform (emissions-wise) far closer to the lab test conditions in the real world, and thus are penalised for doing so compared to the manufacturers who went the small capcity turbo route.

At present, only the Mazda6 has an option for the 2.5L SA-G engine. A shame, as it is a decent engine (according to reviews accross the Pond and from John Cadogan Down Under) and means you don't have to rag it to get decent performance. Even sadder that, as yet, the 2.5T version (available in North America / Down under in their big SUVs [which aren't available in the UK anyway]) hasn't made it to our shores.

There is hope, as rumours of a 'MPS' version of the Mazda3 (with the 2.5T) seem to be bearing fruit, at least in North America. Perhaps as we are no longer in the EU, we may be able to get some as well, as the corporate CO2 laws could technically be repealed or changed.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - misar

Hence a 120 can be converted to a 165 with software alone.

I believe Mazda achieve this by limiting the throttle opening for the detuned variants, please don’t quote me on it but I think is 70% for the 120 and 90% for the 145. Hence the reason the 120 could feel breathless is simply because the throttle is never fully open even when your foot is fully down.

It is almost certainly done by tuning but I suspect it is more complicated than a throttle limit. If you sign up to www.zeperfs.com/en/ you can view power and torque curves for almost every Mazda variant sold in Europe. In most cases the lower/higher power options give very similar power and torque at around 4000rpm. After that the lower versions give no more power and less torque but the higher versions give increasing power and fairly flat torque. That is why those of us who are not boy racers would not see much gain from the higher power variants in our normal driving. However, the higher power versions do tend to have slightly better torque curves at lower rpm so may be a bit more flexible.

At present the Mazda 3 M Hybrid versions only come with one power option (122PS) so it is difficult to say if that has any affect at all at lower rpm. However, as I said I find the M Hybrid Mazda 3 much more flexible than my previous Gen 2 150PS one. You can see more comments in my review.

Edited by misar on 18/08/2020 at 18:24

Thanks misar, by a strange coincidence, I am already a user of that website you suggested and have seen those power curves you speak of. Another one I use from time to time is www.automobile-catalog.com.

The 120 engines torque curve looks almost like a triangle, rising up until about 3500 rpm, then dropping off on the other side just as quick. A sure sign of electronics strangling the output.

I do find it odd that the throttle position is so restricted though. Given the effort Mazda went too to design the engine to run on the Atkinson cycle by LIVC (late intake valve closing), part of the purpose of which was to reduce pumping losses, why then would you hold the throttle partially closed on the lower output engines. Seems to defeat the purpose.

On a final note, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the new Mazda3. I personally think it’s a sensational looking car, even if it does have some visibility drawbacks. Rear occupancy and boot space aren’t high on my priority list when driving so that’s ok. Unfortunately, wifey likes more sitty uppy cars so maybe a cx-30 would suffice.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Mick27

I have owned two, both from new, a 2014 165bhp Sport variant and currently have a 2018 120bhp Sport. As an all round package I think they are a great little car, nice to drive, fairly economical, look great, and I've not had a single issue with either. Yes they lack a bit of torque but in reality the roads around where I live and commute are so crowded you cant use a lot of power anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to get one and my next replacement will likely be the latest gen model.

MAZDA 3 - owners of a Mazda 3 (2013 - 2018) - Hugh Watt

Can I just tack on my own appreciation of misar's review - exceptionally informative and helpful. The Mazda's lack of interior space (or an estate version) took it off my list when I was buying - indeed, misar's strong criticisms here speak volumes for how impressive he must have found the car otherwise!