What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MOT expired and stopped, please help - richash147

I bought my son his first car is September last year and was told it had a new MOT, he got stopped today as the MOT ran out last December!!
He is worried sick as only driving since late January. The police let him drive home and said he would get a letter, can anyone advise what to expect? The car is in my name.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Falkirk Bairn

£100 fine is the fixed penalty but no points..

Go to court can be £1000 fine, no points

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Terry W

One thing to consider - is the driver or owner responsbile for ensuring the vehicle has an MoT.

As you bought the car and did not check, perhaps you should pay the fine, not your son.

Or you may just strike lucky and find that the police act with decency and don't pursue it!

MOT expired and stopped, please help - thunderbird

Or you may just strike lucky and find that the police act with decency and don't pursue it!

Why should the police not pursue it? Having a current MOT on cars 3 years and older is the law. No grey area. If you don't have one you break the law and pay the fine.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Galaxy

It's always a good idea to check the MOT History of any car you are thinking of buying here:

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It's also a good idea to check again after purchase to check any statements which may have been made by the seller regarding the possiblility of a new MOT being supplied after purchase.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Andrew-T

.... can anyone advise what to expect? The car is in my name.

Regardless of whether you get penalised, I guess it is something you won't do again - check the basic documentation with the car. If it's old enough to need a MoT, make sure how long it is. You can easily find this out online - which is a good thing to do for any used car you might think of buying.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Theophilus

Another possible concern ... you say the car is in your name, does that apply to the insurance as well? If so, and your son is regularly driving it rather than yourself you may find that in the event of an accident the insurance would be invalid.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - badbusdriver

If you bought the car and it is in your name, it is your car, not your sons. Not sure how much trouble your son will get from this, but i think you would be most at fault given it is your car.

The insurance question raised by Theophilus may not be a factor in this instance, but you really should be aware that insurance companies are very much clamping down on folk who put their son/daughter down as a named driver to get cheaper premiums when the offspring is in fact the main driver. This is fraud and dealt with harshly, so if this is the case, i would suggest you rethink as it could come back to bite you big time.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - gordonbennet

I suspect he passed the attitude test as the officer mentioned a letter and not simply a case of reporting the offence, hopefully a warning this time.

Its easy done, i once let an MOT expire by several months, shocked to discover my lapse, luckily didn't get stopped.

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Big John

The car is in my name.

You may have ducked a larger bullet - if your son is the main driver get it registered, insured and re-taxed (yes will have to be done again ) in his name before you have a bigger issue be it cancelled insurance or even classed as having no insurance. Search "Insurance Fronting" on t'internet.

Also get it MOT'd straight away! Didn't you check the MOT certificate when it was bought?

Do ASAP!!!

Check tax and MOT :- https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Check MOT hostory :- https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Edited by Big John on 04/07/2020 at 22:25

MOT expired and stopped, please help - Lrac

Before you get it MOT I would make sure the garage are going to pass it other wise the failure could be construed as proof that the car was not roadworthy. Obviously in your favour that the Police let your son drive it in the current condition.