What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - Electric Scooters - sammy1

Look out for ES on the roads two or three abreast holding you up like the inconsiderate cyclists. Also pedestrians beware pavements, shopping malls, public footpaths and just about any where else. Apparently you need a driving license but I doubt anyone will be checking, also the ES will be restricted to 15.5mph for the law abiding and go as fast as you can for the reckless. Stay safe in the new free for all that is about to hit!

N/A - Electric Scooters - Terry W

Electric bikes already proliferate without the need for a driving licence or insurance assuming the speed is limited to 16mph. So why should scooters be any different.

Those for whom concern for the environment forms some part of the travel decision, reflect on the fact that around town the scooter propels you + around 15-25kg of scooter. A car is you + around a ton or more of metal, plastic, rubber and glass!

A scooter can fit in the boot of a car or be taken on public transport - similar to a small wheeled cabin bag on a plane.

And like cars and bikes it is the idiots in control who cause the problems, not the technology employed!

N/A - Electric Scooters - bathtub tom

And like cars and bikes it is the idiots in control who cause the problems, not the technology employed!

We need more organ donors.

N/A - Electric Scooters - focussed

How long before an electric scooter + rider gets squashed riding up the nearside of a left-turning HGV?

N/A - Electric Scooters - badbusdriver

Bizarrely, it will (according to the BBC news website*) only be rental electric scooters which can be legally ridden on the roads, privately owned ones won't be. This throws up a variety of questions, most obvious being, why?!. But also, who is going to be stopping folk on electric scooters to check whether they are owned or rented?.

*www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

N/A - Electric Scooters - Andrew-T

... who is going to be stopping folk on electric scooters to check whether they are owned or rented?.

They will carry something like the obsolete tax disc ?

N/A - Electric Scooters - Bromptonaut

DfT guidance is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-local-areas-and-rental-operators/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-local-areas-and-rental-operators

N/A - Electric Scooters - groaver

I've heard it said that perhaps there has been some "lobbying" by interested parties that the government has "listened' to.

N/A - Electric Scooters - Bilboman

Can we expect the reinstatement of the Red Flag Act soon?

N/A - Electric Scooters - Sofa Spud

I wonder if it is still legal for a driver to employ a man carrying a red flag to walk ahead of his car. This was compulsory up until 1896, but when the law was repealed was the archaic practice ever specifically outlawed?

Re electric scooters - If the law allows me to push a pram with a baby in it without having to pass any special test, then why not the same for electric scooters? They should be regarded as electric bicycles.

When I'm driving, cyclists are a bit of a nuisance, but when I'm cycling, motorists are even more of a nuisance!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/07/2020 at 14:39

N/A - Electric Scooters - Ethan Edwards

I know the layouts more simple and the roads bigger. But a Electric Scooter rental scheme like the Boris bike only without stations, well it looked to work just fine in Brisbane. I say give it a chance .

N/A - Electric Scooters - _

When we were in Antwerp last summer, rented electric scooters were dumped haphazardly a lot of the time when "riders" had finished with them.

For instance it was somewhat fun trying to get out of the metro stations.

And what nobody is perhaps thinking of is the pickup truck and trailer going round to collect them and place them elsewher/fix them/charge them up.

If the law allows me to push a pram with a baby in it without having to pass any special test, then why not the same for electric scooters? They should be regarded as electric bicycles.

Unless your pram has some kind of motor assistance, it is a different kind of vehicle, under human power only. A normal bicycle is not limited to 15.5 mph either. I recall an incident in about 1955 when a sixth-form lad was stopped by police for allegedly doing 34mph downhill on a 30-limit road.

As a student I once overtook a Rolls-Royce going down Black Dog Hill in Wiltshire on my fairly ordinary pushbike. Those were the days .... :-)

It's many years since I pushed a pram but my point about the pram comparison is that the pram has a vulnerable baby in it and yet one needs no special qualification to push on a public highway, or the pavement thereof. Also a pram is much bigger and heavier than an electric scooter and if it runs away down a hill it could do a lot more damage, regardless of whether it not being powered by a motor..

Also a pram is much bigger and heavier than an electric scooter

I doubt it.

From the DfT

E-scooter trials: guidance for local areas and rental operators

has a mass including the battery, but excluding the rider, not exceeding 55kg

Also a pram is much bigger and heavier than an electric scooter and if it runs away down a hill it could do a lot more damage, regardless of whether it not being powered by a motor.

Well yes, but anything running away down a hill could do that, regardless of any suggested speed limit or whether the person in charge had passed a test ?

N/A - Electric Scooters - _

When I was a liitle boy, my 10 year old sister was taking our baby sister out in the pram, and on a hill she couldn't hold it, (it was a steep hill) and it ran way and plunged into a very deep pond.

Happily there was a man there and he fished baby out.

And those old prams were heavy.!!!

But going back to scooters, what will happen as inevitably somebody will be unaware of their surroundings with headphones or earbuds on? Think pedestrians with noses glued to phone screens..only faster..

Who are you thinking of employing to maintain a steady 15.5 mph ?

Usain Bolt's not doing much at the moment.

Usain Bolt's not doing much at the moment.

The limit would be 4 mph, that's what it was in the days of the Red Flag Act. I rather like the idea of someone with a red flag preceding red Ferrari.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 04/07/2020 at 10:47

N/A - Electric Scooters - Ethan Edwards

In Brisbane they have so called "Juicers" who go round on other escooters carrying about six escooters replacing ones with exhausted batteries. I spent some time in Brisbane and to be honest was blown away by how cool it was..