What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Aviva - car insurance payouts - Falkirk Bairn

Mentioned on Money Box,

Aviva payouts on Car Insurance claims

From memory

1) 50% is for personal injuries - anything from stiff necks to life changing injuries

2) 25% is repairing/writing off cars

3) 6% for fire & theft

The rest is made up from admin costs, selling costs, profits etc

I knew that personal injury costs were high but did not know they were 2 x the cost a car damage.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - drd63

Fewer in number of claims but higher in value. Personal injury claims can easily run into hundreds of thousands and some into millions.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - RT

The personal injury claims also involve plenty of "ambulance chasers" whose fees bump up the amount paid out by insurers

Aviva - car insurance payouts - daveyjp

It would be interesting to see the split between write off and repair.

I suspect a lot of claims are on vehicles which are simply written off. It doesn't take much damage these days to get an insurance repair job running into thousands.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - thunderbird

I have 2 experiences of personal accident payouts.

First was in about 1990 when an out of control motorcyclist had a choice of hitting me or the car next to me head on (both stationary at a junction) or try and squeeze between us. He tried the latter and on his way past hit my door mirror which smashed my side window liberally spreading glass everywhere. He ricocheted of my car and the one at the side damaging both. Quite amazing he was uninjured so all 3 of us exchanged details and carried on our separate ways. Later that evening my right eye became very sore and the next morning was very bloodshot. So off to A & E where the found a scratch but no glass. A course of drops and all was well. The next week I went to my brokers to drop off the claim form and asked about the section querying hospital treatment and explained that I was now fine but needed some drops the day after the accident. They said fill it in.

A few weeks later I received a letter from a local solicitor who I contacted as requested. They made me an appointment to see a private doctor (was the head of the local A & E dept) for an examination and a few weeks after that the bikes insurers made me an offer which the solicitors told me to reject. They immediately doubled their offer which i was told to accept.

Took me on a nice holiday.

6 years later mum and dad had a nasty crash when a car rear ended them at a notorious local junction one summers evening after a storm. I thought the car was a write off, dad paid £9000 for it 6 months earlier and the estimate at a local body shop was over £5000 which they OK'd. Mum was admitted to hospital with hip pain (same hip had been replaced a few years earlier) and dad had whiplash and severe headaches for weeks. Broker did the necessary paperwork and they both went to see the same doctor I did. Their eventual payout paid to replace the car the following year with a brand new (pre-reg actually) car and a couple of holidays. Garage gave him the same as he had paid for the repaired car a year earlier so very happy.

Those were 2 genuine cases of real injury but many are of the crash for cash variety these days but are paid out to avoid any arguments. If the company agents had to foot the bill themselves and not use company money it would be different.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - concrete

Genuine claims are what insurance is for. Unfortunately the sniff of some 'free money' brings out the worst in people. My daughter lived in Edinburgh. We were in her company car at a junction when a car into the one way street and hit her head on. Luckily the collision was at very low speed, some damage to both cars and the impact was hardly noticeable. It turns out it was an American tourist in a hire car. She admitted responsibility to my wife and daughter who had gotten out of the car to assess matters. All details taken and after some tooing and froing we got the cars away. My daughter notified her company and that was that. Until she was informed that a personal injury claim had been made against her by the tourist. Claiming all sorts of ailments and subsequent injuries. I had actually filmed the whole thing, I was in the rear seat and filmed from the impact onwards. It showed the damage and the ladies swapping details, all in the rudest health. It also showed the one way and no entry signs which the tourist had ignored. We sent off the footage to her company insurers who immediately rejected the claim and it was subsequently withdrawn. Just goes to show the lengths some will go to for a quick buck.

Cheers Concrete

Aviva - car insurance payouts - Zippy123

I was working on a finance package for an investigations agency.

They were employed by the insurance industry in their fight against dodgy personal injury claims.

They would basically go around videoing claimants and present an opinion as to whether the claimant was trying it on or not.

The major bank walked away from the deal when I discovered that in one of the cases, an insurance company had asked them, and they agreed to, video record a child 24/7.

The child had received life changing injuries in an alleged "game of chicken" with friends, but importantly had not filed a claim.

Now if a claim had been filed, and was suspicious then film away but to film a child on "sus" is just unacceptable and the bank wouldn't accept the reputational risk.

There is also a huge "medicolegal" industry financed by banks, these are effectively companies that finance the claimants visits to doctors and after care for accidents. They pay upfront and claims made to the 3rd party's insurers. A bit like credit hire.

Edited by Zippy123 on 14/06/2020 at 22:20

Aviva - car insurance payouts - gordonbennet
There is also a huge "medicolegal" industry financed by banks, these are effectively companies that finance the claimants visits to doctors and after care for accidents. They pay upfront and claims made to the 3rd party's insurers. A bit like credit hire.

Not sure how any of this works, but dare say there's a need for such things.

Pal of mine received a nasty industrial injury which stopped him working for well over 12 months, and will mean further knee and ankle problems later in life...he's no work shy claimsRus regular by the way, apart from this he's never taken a day off work sick in the 35+ years i've known him.

His (now ex) employer and their insurance hung the job out as long as possible making mediocre offers along the way, no doubt in the hope my mate would be forced through growing debts to accept a lower level of compensation.

Unfortunately for them, not only is my mate one of those rare debt free breeds with savings, he's also one of the worlds most stubborn/cantakerous people, safe to say he recieved the proper rate of compensation in due course where others may have been forced to accept a lower payout but faster.

Is this the type of scenario you speak of Zippy?

Aviva - car insurance payouts - Zippy123
Is this the type of scenario you speak of Zippy?

Basically legal and medical costs can be huge. Even the simple stuff like getting doctors opinions can add up, especially if you are cash poor.

So you go to a solicitor - no win no fee- they send you to a doctor. The doctor invoices the solicitor but is "happy" to wait till the case is settled before payment. All the time the bills for treatment rack up.

Now wrap the solicitors and doctors up into one business called "medico legal". They have all these expenses going out all of the time but no income until the case is settled. They basically go to their bank to fund the gap between doing the work and getting paid and their asset that they pledge is "work in progress".

Your friend may well go to this type of firm for help, just make sure its one that doesn't take a share of his claim, but claims their costs as part of the awarded fees / costs / medical expenses. If he can't fund the costs himself - and that's a key element - then this type of firm can be helpful. Just ask around to get a reputable one.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - gordonbennet
Your friend may well go to this type of firm for help, just make sure its one that doesn't take a share of his claim, but claims their costs as part of the awarded fees / costs / medical expenses. If he can't fund the costs himself - and that's a key element - then this type of firm can be helpful. Just ask around to get a reputable one.

Thankyou Zippy, thankfully his case is long over, he used a decent solicitor who he funded, i don't know about medical expert reports.

Glad your case worked too, Concrete, it got to very close to the court date before my friends previous employer/insurer offered suitable compensation.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - Archie35

We sent off the footage to her company insurers who immediately rejected the claim and it was subsequently withdrawn. Just goes to show the lengths some will go to for a quick buck.

Cheers Concrete

I hope the insurance company also prosecuted her for attempted fraud (yup, I know you won't know the answer to that question!). A reason why we have to pay so much for insurance here in the UK (compared to the Gulf where I used to live, where the roads have far more accidents, but also where insurance fraud would get you deported) is there is so much of it, and I very rarely read of people being prosecuted for fraudulent claims.

Aviva - car insurance payouts - concrete

We sent off the footage to her company insurers who immediately rejected the claim and it was subsequently withdrawn. Just goes to show the lengths some will go to for a quick buck.

Cheers Concrete

I hope the insurance company also prosecuted her for attempted fraud (yup, I know you won't know the answer to that question!). A reason why we have to pay so much for insurance here in the UK (compared to the Gulf where I used to live, where the roads have far more accidents, but also where insurance fraud would get you deported) is there is so much of it, and I very rarely read of people being prosecuted for fraudulent claims.

The claimant was an American who presumably put in a spurious claim and returned to the USA. My daughters fleet manager told us the claim was withdrawn. I suppose the insurance would have paid out if I had not filmed the scene. It seems easier for them to pay out a few thousand instead of the cost of fighting it. This is really what has led to the increase in claims. If they had properly challenged cases it would be self policing.

Insurance companies are a strange beast. They will pay out sums to 'save' money but other claims they will fight. Medical problems are difficult to disprove, the classic 'bad back' syndrome ( no offence to real sufferers) springs to mind. Like GB's friend I fought a claim. mine was against the Post Office. Only vehicle damage but their driver was lying like a door mat and they believed him, despite photographic and witness evidence to the contrary. They were awful to deal with. Eventually a filed a case and got a court date. Guess what? They settled the afternoon before the case was due to be heard. Talk about brinkmanship, but like GB's friend I too can be stubborn when I know I am right. It pay to stick to your guns.

Cheers Concrete